Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ryle 38 Simon Kenton 35 (OT)
ot
mrb5150 Wrote:ot

Can't wait to hear the excuses for our favorite Neer fans.
It sounded like a great game throughout. I was getting the updates throughout and sounded like SK should have came out with the victory
Grats Ryle
congrats to Ryle
Congrats Ryle.
sstack Wrote:Can't wait to hear the excuses for our favorite Neer fans.

Just curious how much that cost? The only thing that cost us that game was the officials. No doubt about it. And sstack if you were not there you should keep your comments in check. And if you where there then you would have to agree. This was the worst one sided officiating ever seen in all my years of football. The Ryle boys got away all night long with personal fouls that never got called. It was just appalling. We will see them again in the regionals and we will see then. A good example is the spot on the ot field goal. Half the distance to the goal from the 5 and he puts the ball on the 1/2 yard line. Then suddenly stops the play when questioned by a photographer. Resets the ball at the 2 1/2. The only time we got a break was on a false start and one ref marked it at 5 yards and the other sideline had it at a four yard mark and the white hat did not know what to do so he just set it at the 4 yard mark. Then the ref that was right just moved forward a yard rather than say anything. This crew was from the Union area and it showed. I have seen far better refs in the pee wees. This group could not make a with out having a conference each time a flag was thrown. Maybe they got a good deal on a house? Who knows? This crew just goes to prove that anyone with 75.00 can take the open book test and get a job as a ref.
Congrats Ryle!
Northern Kentucky finally has an answer to the question concerning the area’s top Class 6A football team.

It just took a while.

Ryle and Simon Kenton, pegged as the district favorites since the preseason and ranked second and third respectively in the area coaches’ poll most of the season, played deep into the night Friday at Ryle. Finally, the Raiders emerged with a 38-35 overtime victory.

In the end, Ryle sophomore kicker Garrett Mead made a 20-yard field goal to secure the victory.

• Photos: Raiders 38, Pioneers 35 (OT)
• Enquirer high school sports blog

The kick put the Raiders alone in first place in Northern Kentucky’s 6A district standings and sent a sea of Ryle students onto the field for an impromptu post-game pep rally.

“What an unbelievable matchup, a great district and great competition,” said Ryle coach Bryson Warner. “We were fortunate to come out on top.”

After a scoreless first quarter, the two teams traded scores for most of the game. Simon Kenton jumped out to a 10-0 lead on a Zach Carroll interception return for a touchdown and a Cody Herald field goal.

Both teams’ quarterbacks exchanged big plays. Ryle senior Conner Hempel ran for the Raiders’ first three touchdowns. His counterpart, Simon Kenton senior Chad Lawrence, kept the Pioneers in the game with his scrambling, improvisational big-play ability. He hit Cody Welte for a 30-yard touchdown pass on fourth-and-11, then converted a fake extra point for two points.

Early in the fourth quarter, with the game tied at 21, he drove the Pioneers to the 5-yard line, where Danny Wetter scored on a pitch.

Then, Ryle running back Travis Elliott made his first play of the game. The junior standout, whom the Pioneers held in check for most of the game, took an off-tackle handoff for an 81-yard touchdown, breaking several tackles along the way.

“He’s resilient,” Warner said of Elliott, who finished with 163 yards rushing. “He always has a chance to break one, because his legs never stop moving.”

Lawrence struck again midway through the fourth quarter, scrambling and then hitting Matt Reilly for an 11-yard touchdown on third-and-9.

Ryle answered with a 12-play, 79-yard game-tying drive. Hempel was 4-for-5 on the drive, including a 13-yard completion to Jeff Huntley on fourth-and-11 with 2:19 to play.

“We had to throw it to spread them out a little bit,” said Hempel, who finished with 127 yards passing and 119 yards rushing. “Once we did and we were successful, we were able to mix in the run a little bit and we had a drive going.”

Elliott capped the drive with an 8-yard touchdown run with 1:09 remaining. Warner feared his team had left too much time on the clock.

“With Chad Lawrence at the helm, that was definitely too much time,” said Warner. “I haven’t seen another young man like him. He just makes incredible plays.”

Lawrence finished with 152 yards rushing and 229 yards passing, but the Raiders held him in check down the stretch. After forcing a three-and-out on Simon Kenton’s final possession of regulation, the Raiders picked off a Lawrence fourth-down pass in overtime.

After three running plays, Ryle gave Mead an opportunity. He made good, putting the Raiders in position to win their first district title since 2006.

“It’s a great feeling,” said Hempel. “We had to pull through and we got it done. … I can almost guarantee you we’ll see them again in the playoffs. They’re a heck of a football team.”

Simon Kenton....0 13 8 14 0 -- 35
Ryle………….0 14 7 14 3 -- 38

SK – Carroll 30 interception return (Herald kick)
SK – Herald 19 field goal
R – Hempel 1 run (Mead kick)
R – Hempel 41 run (Mead kick)
SK – Herald 37 field goal
SK – Welte 30 pass from Lawrence (Krummen pass from Lawrence)
R – Hempel 36 run (Mead kick)
SK – Wetter 5 run (Herald kick)
R – Elliott 81 run (Mead kick)
SK – Reilly 10 pass from Lawrence (Herald kick)
R – Elliott 8 run (Mead kick)
SK – Mead 20 field goal
Records: SK 5-2, R 6-1
neerfan Wrote:Just curious how much that cost? The only thing that cost us that game was the officials. No doubt about it. And sstack if you were not there you should keep your comments in check. And if you where there then you would have to agree. This was the worst one sided officiating ever seen in all my years of football. The Ryle boys got away all night long with personal fouls that never got called. It was just appalling. We will see them again in the regionals and we will see then. A good example is the spot on the ot field goal. Half the distance to the goal from the 5 and he puts the ball on the 1/2 yard line. Then suddenly stops the play when questioned by a photographer. Resets the ball at the 2 1/2. The only time we got a break was on a false start and one ref marked it at 5 yards and the other sideline had it at a four yard mark and the white hat did not know what to do so he just set it at the 4 yard mark. Then the ref that was right just moved forward a yard rather than say anything. This crew was from the Union area and it showed. I have seen far better refs in the pee wees. This group could not make a with out having a conference each time a flag was thrown. Maybe they got a good deal on a house? Who knows? This crew just goes to prove that anyone with 75.00 can take the open book test and get a job as a ref.

Oh come on, I knew you would have some kind of complaint, but blaming it on the officials?? Wow, thats low. Ryle won fair and square. You didn't hear me blaming last year's loss to SK on the officials.

Just get used to be being number 2 TongueirateSho
Schmilla88 Wrote:Oh come on, I knew you would have some kind of complaint, but blaming it on the officials?? Wow, thats low. Ryle won fair and square. You didn't hear me blaming last year's loss to SK on the officials.

:please:Laugh my *** off. You got to be kidding me. Any fan in those stands knows that was the worst crew of officials they have ever seen. Ryle plays dirty which showed last night, Not to mention the parents in the stands that show no sportsmanship. Get used to being #2. Give me a break. Where were you last year, oh and the year before last? Lets think about that for a minute. Behind SK I do believe. And we will see you again in the playoffs. At least there you dont get to hand pick you crew of officials. We will see then.:lmao::lmao:
I'd love to see the rematch. Congrats Ryle.
Is OT in HS sudden death?
zaga_fan Wrote:Is OT in HS sudden death?

no, each team gets a possession starting from the 10. whoever scores the most points in the 1st OT wins, if they tie they do it again, and if they tie after that, they have to go for 2 on TDs.
neerfan Wrote:Just curious how much that cost? The only thing that cost us that game was the officials. No doubt about it. And sstack if you were not there you should keep your comments in check. And if you where there then you would have to agree. This was the worst one sided officiating ever seen in all my years of football. The Ryle boys got away all night long with personal fouls that never got called. It was just appalling. We will see them again in the regionals and we will see then. A good example is the spot on the ot field goal. Half the distance to the goal from the 5 and he puts the ball on the 1/2 yard line. Then suddenly stops the play when questioned by a photographer. Resets the ball at the 2 1/2. The only time we got a break was on a false start and one ref marked it at 5 yards and the other sideline had it at a four yard mark and the white hat did not know what to do so he just set it at the 4 yard mark. Then the ref that was right just moved forward a yard rather than say anything. This crew was from the Union area and it showed. I have seen far better refs in the pee wees. This group could not make a with out having a conference each time a flag was thrown. Maybe they got a good deal on a house? Who knows? This crew just goes to prove that anyone with 75.00 can take the open book test and get a job as a ref.

I knew there would be excuses. You are mentioning a couple of yds here and a couple of yds there. I do not think that is what cost you the game. It sounded like a very good, evenly matched game, and a rematch in the making that either team could win. I do agree with you on the point that Ryle tends to play after the whistle(got away with some in our game also). I had SK picked to win this game, I thought with your spread O, you would pull out the win. SK is a good team but, when you make such grandiose posts week after week, you make yourself look silly and are going to take some ribbing from the rest of us. Maybe you should admitt that Ryle is a good team and that SK is not going to walk all over them. You might beat them in a rematch, but it will not be an easy game. I have a question about the OT. What yd line was SK on , on the 4th and 11 play. Why did they not attempt the field goal?
Wow! I really expected SK to win this! Congrats Ryle!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
leecoukfan Wrote:Wow! I really expected SK to win this! Congrats Ryle!

Really? Why?
neerfan Wrote::please:Laugh my *** off. You got to be kidding me. Any fan in those stands knows that was the worst crew of officials they have ever seen. Ryle plays dirty which showed last night, Not to mention the parents in the stands that show no sportsmanship. Get used to being #2. Give me a break. Where were you last year, oh and the year before last? Lets think about that for a minute. Behind SK I do believe. And we will see you again in the playoffs. At least there you dont get to hand pick you crew of officials. We will see then.:lmao::lmao:

I never said the refs were perfect (because they never are) but good teams don't use that as an excuse, they just play even harder. And if you're even thinking that they were paid to throw the game is outrageous (because if they were you would be crying about more then four yards). I also never said Ryle was better then SK last year, because we wern't, but that was last year. you can't brag about last season just because we beat you this season.
:thatsfunn
I would love to have a rematch in the post season but till then just know that you're number 2.
TongueirateShoTongueirateSho
Schmilla88 Wrote:I never said the refs were perfect (because they never are) but good teams don't use that as an excuse, they just play even harder. And if you're even thinking that they were paid to throw the game is outrageous (because if they were you would be crying about more then four yards). I also never said Ryle was better then SK last year, because we wern't, but that was last year. you can't brag about last season just because we beat you this season.
I would love to have a rematch in the post season but till then just know that you're number 2.

I agree with ya Schmilla.
:Thumbs:
tradition Wrote:I agree with ya Schmilla.

Thank you! I just can't wait to see what excuses he makes next lol
Schmilla88 Wrote:Oh come on, I knew you would have some kind of complaint, but blaming it on the officials?? Wow, thats low. Ryle won fair and square. You didn't hear me blaming last year's loss to SK on the officials.

How could you blame last years defeat on the officials? It was a complete blowout. Everybody played!:lmao: The other thing that was low was the late
hit, clearly out of bounds by the classy raiders. Hope to see ya again in the playoffs.:popcorn:
I predict Highlands puts a 40Pt beatdown on Ryle in the last week of the season. Ryle has not improved at all this season.
Schmilla88 Wrote:I never said the refs were perfect (because they never are) but good teams don't use that as an excuse, they just play even harder. And if you're even thinking that they were paid to throw the game is outrageous (because if they were you would be crying about more then four yards). I also never said Ryle was better then SK last year, because we wern't, but that was last year. you can't brag about last season just because we beat you this season.

tradition Wrote:I agree with ya Schmilla.

You would agree. I was not crying about four yards. I said that was the only thing the did in our favor. READ THE POST. I have friends that are big Ryle fans and also a close friend of the white hat and he feels the exact same way. He was embarrassed by the way Ryle played dirty and even more so to say he was a friend of the white hat. The team is no using that as an excuse. I am not the team. i am a fan that sat in the stands and saw it first hand. SK will see you again in the playoffs and we will see then. The biggest difference is that our coaching staff preaches to the players to not play dirty and never sink to the level of a team that is coached to do so. Otherwise you would have seen a different outcome. So you both can kiss it.
neerfan Wrote:You would agree. I was not crying about four yards. I said that was the only thing the did in our favor. READ THE POST. I have friends that are big Ryle fans and also a close friend of the white hat and he feels the exact same way. He was embarrassed by the way Ryle played dirty and even more so to say he was a friend of the white hat. The team is no using that as an excuse. I am not the team. i am a fan that sat in the stands and saw it first hand. SK will see you again in the playoffs and we will see then. The biggest difference is that our coaching staff preaches to the players to not play dirty and never sink to the level of a team that is coached to do so. Otherwise you would have seen a different outcome. So you both can kiss it.

I do not believe they are coached to play dirty, but the coaches behavior is sometimes questionable and the kids see this. I also do not see the coaches pull a kid aside after questionable plays.