Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands/Cov Cath Rivalry laid to rest
The last time Covington Catholic made a game of it with the Birds was in 2006. They went on to win state and left the Birds with a very bitter taste in their mouth. The win at DCMS during the regular season was devastating and to make matters worse, the fans left a calling card by damaging the bleachers in their celebratory rant. Highlands went on to pay back and boy have they ever.....Now, 4 years later the emotions seemed to have subsided and the beat cov cath t's are now being used to wash cars.....Is this the end of a beautiful relationship in northern kentucky. I have to say, Yes.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:The last time Covington Catholic made a game of it with the Birds was in 2006. They went on to win state and left the Birds with a very bitter taste in their mouth. The win at DCMS during the regular season was devastating and to make matters worse, the fans left a calling card by damaging the bleachers in their celebratory rant. Highlands went on to pay back and boy have they ever.....Now, 4 years later the emotions seemed to have subsided and the beat cov cath t's are now being used to wash cars.....Is this the end of a beautiful relationship in northern kentucky. I have to say, Yes.

No. I think Cov Cath is down but they will not stay down for long.
They are not even going to come close to the Birds for the next 4 years HIGHLANDS is loaded so yes it is dead.:ChairHit:
Anyone can have a bad game. With that said, no one know who is going to win a game. That is way they play them.
I see your point and I hope things get better for CC. This game was a huge deal back when I was at HHS in the early 70's.
Not much of a rivialy when one team beats the other team more times than not all time record
17-37 in favor of the cake eaters
Perhaps it's more symbolic at this point, but Highlands still ends nearly every practice with the "Beat Colonels" chant. We may think it's over, but I think the players may feel a little differently.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:The last time Covington Catholic made a game of it with the Birds was in 2006. They went on to win state and left the Birds with a very bitter taste in their mouth. The win at DCMS during the regular season was devastating and to make matters worse, the fans left a calling card by damaging the bleachers in their celebratory rant. Highlands went on to pay back and boy have they ever.....Now, 4 years later the emotions seemed to have subsided and the beat cov cath t's are now being used to wash cars.....Is this the end of a beautiful relationship in northern kentucky. I have to say, Yes.

Hard to say if it is the end. CovCath supposedly has a talented frosh class (as do the Birds). We'll know shortly how talented both frosh teams are, as I think they play each other this coming week. When the Birds seniors, juniors and sophomores were frosh, the games with CovCath were all very close, which indicates to me that CovCath should have some pretty good athletes on this year's squad. Now don't get me wrong; frosh games only show so much, but it does show something (in my opinion, they primarily show the raw athletic talent on both teams). When the seniors on the 06 Birds team were frosh, they lost to CovCath. The frosh on CovCath's team went on to win state as seniors and beat the Birds twice (man, it was painful to type that). When the seniors on last year's Birds team were frosh they slaughtered CovCath and SK played them very, very close. We know how good the SK seniors were last year and we saw another not so good CovCath team. So I think frosh results can be somewhat of an indicator. If that is accurate, given the close frosh games the last three years, CovCath should start improving dramatically soon.

So, it wouldn't surprise me if CovCath, starting this year perhaps and definitely next year, puts teams on the field that have much better athleticism than they have since 06. Varsity coaching becomes a very big factor of course, and I think that Highlands has one of the best coaching staffs in the state, so it won't surprise me if the Birds keep winning. I just think the games will be much closer than what we've gotten used to. CovCath has done some things to improve their program. Last year they brought in a new and better (to some degree) coaching staff; the football community at CovCath seems to once again be behind the coaches (brilliant move to get Lynn Ray back involved) and CovCath has started it's own 7th/8th grade program.

So it might be just a tad premature to say the rivalry has ended. If CovCath doesn't start becoming a lot more competitive this year or next, I might be inclined to agree with you though.
It's only a rivalry when either team could win
Stardust Wrote:It's only a rivalry when either team could win

Perhaps, but if you asked any Highlands player or any Highlands coach, they'd disagree with you rather strongly. My son was on the Highlands team last year and he'd laugh at the suggestion that the rivalry has ended.
charlie22 Wrote:Perhaps, but if you asked any Highlands player or any Highlands coach, they'd disagree with you rather strongly. My son was on the Highlands team last year and he'd laugh at the suggestion that the rivalry has ended.

Of course he would. Those kids were privy to seeing some of the great games between these two squads, but it's the youngsters now that see the 60-0 beatdowns year after year that it may become a little blurred. It will probably be awhile before the rivalry fizzles and hopefully by that time Cov Cath can turn it around. One thing's for sure, it's suffering as of late. Fielding a competitive team goes a long way in a rivalry and I tend to agree with Stardust.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Of course he would. Those kids were privy to seeing some of the great games between these two squads, but it's the youngsters now that see the 60-0 beatdowns year after year that it may become a little blurred. It will probably be awhile before the rivalry fizzles and hopefully by that time Cov Cath can turn it around. One thing's for sure, it's suffering as of late. Fielding a competitive team goes a long way in a rivalry and I tend to agree with Stardust.

I agree that CovCath will need to pick up its game to keep the rivalry going strong. Based on what I've seen in the recent frosh games, I think that will happen. If it doesn't happen, I think the rivalry will diminish and thus agree with you on that point, but it has not ended yet so I disagree with your original post that claimed the "beautiful relationship" has ended.

And I don't say this to jab you or call you an "outsider" or "transplant" :thatsfunn, so please don't take offense, but unless you went to and played for Highlands, you just can't understand the intense emotions of playing CovCath regardless how bad they may be in any year. The practices leading up to that game were more intense than the practices before the state game last year. I think my son got some sort of perverse pleasure out of beating them 61-0 in 08 (the little stinker broke my team's record of largest margin of victory over CovCath). Last year when the margin of victory was less, my son was actually rather dejected after the game even though Highlands won handily.

And again, I meant no offense. I think most of N. Ky (outside of a lot of folks from FT) would agree with you that the rivalry is dead
charlie22 Wrote:I agree that CovCath will need to pick up its game to keep the rivalry going strong. Based on what I've seen in the recent frosh games, I think that will happen. If it doesn't happen, I think the rivalry will diminish and thus agree with you on that point, but it has not ended yet so I disagree with your original post that claimed the "beautiful relationship" has ended.

And I don't say this to jab you or call you an "outsider" or "transplant" :thatsfunn, so please don't take offense, but unless you went to and played for Highlands, you just can't understand the intense emotions of playing CovCath regardless how bad they may be in any year. The practices leading up to that game were more intense than the practices before the state game last year. I think my son got some sort of perverse pleasure out of beating them 61-0 in 08 (the little stinker broke my team's record of largest margin of victory over CovCath). Last year when the margin of victory was less, my son was actually rather dejected after the game even though Highlands won handily.

Being at the game in 2006 was enough for me, thank you. I won't comment on the rest of your stuff and chalk it up as residual from our past battles. I will take the higher road.:eyeroll:
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Being at the game in 2006 was enough for me, thank you. I won't comment on the rest of your stuff and chalk it up as residual from our past battles. I will take the higher road.:eyeroll:

I tried to take the high road and didn't mean to offend. If I moved into Bellevue I could not understand the rivalry between Bellevue and Dayton near as well as someone who grew up in Bellevue. That's the only point I was making.
charlie22 Wrote:I tried to take the high road and didn't mean to offend. If I moved into Bellevue I could not understand the rivalry between Bellevue and Dayton near as well as someone who grew up in Bellevue. That's the only point I was making.

I grew up in Bellevue and don't understand the Bellevue/Dayton rivalry:biggrin:
Why does highlands play 5a when they are a 4a school?