Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Are Sprinters Scared of Moving Up In Distance?
There are a lot of great sprinters who have good speed--but speed that is not good enough to win a state championship. With that type of speed--they could step up in distance (to the 400 or the 800--and possibly the mile) and have a great chance to win a state championship.

Yet--very few if any will make that jump up. Now remember--in college, the 400 and the 800 are considered to be "sprint" events--but they are not in high school.

Why won't sprinters make the jump?
Who knows? maybe because they don't want to take that risk. If they move up then they may not do as good in that event as the other event from which they started. But if they do say win region or something then they definately won't regret it.
Good point, Sony. But is there really a risk?

Right now--they may win their region--but alot of them go to state and get smacked. What is the point of going if he don't have a chance to win.

I wonder if it has anything to do with having to train differently (or more) for a longer distance event?
i would much rather run 400 yards than a mile ... thats a nobrainer ....
"evillive" Wrote:i would much rather run 400 yards than a mile ... thats a nobrainer ....

Even if it means that you are passing up a chance to win a state championship? Come on?

You put in a little more work and have a legitimate shot at a state championship. Or--you make it easy on yourself and have no shot.
i am a state champ sprinter and i am afraid to move to distance because i am afriad it will mess with my stride. i love to run distance but it so hard to get your stride back fot the 100 meter dash after you have ran a 5 k
If u have speed and have the endurance..u can do a great job at a long distance race as a sprinter...u just need to stay in shape and be able to sprint the whole way....
"M.V.P." Wrote:i am a state champ sprinter and i am afraid to move to distance because i am afriad it will mess with my stride. i love to run distance but it so hard to get your stride back fot the 100 meter dash after you have ran a 5 k

I see what you are saying here, mvp--but--your stride is changing because you are letting it change. The ideal situation would be to work on keeping your same stride length while decreasing your turnover.

Or, another option would be to run a distance race like a sprint (that is what most middle distance runners are doing anyway).
Thanks 4 the advice Kentucky Hilbilly :big grin: