Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th Region 2011
What do you think? Powell, Breathitt, and KCC return the most. Teams like PCC, Estill, Lee, and LCC should be down some. 53rd, 55th, and 56th districts seed, 54th is a blind draw. #1-4 should be the favorites to win thier district. Going into the season Lee/Estill will probably be playing for the #2-3 seeds in the 56th, Wolfe/Jackson for the #2-3 seeds in the 55th. Region will be played at Estill County this year.

1. Powell Co.
2. Knott Cent.
3. Hazard
4. Breathitt Co.

5. Leslie Co.
6. Perry Cent.
7. Estill Co.
8. Letcher Cent.
9. Lee Co.
10. Wolfe Co. / Jackson City
Letcher will be there in the thick of things, but I do agree they lost a lot. 7 seniors is a lot, but they do have some young talent coming up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Leslie beat Breathitt Co both times they played them last year. Leslie only lost 3 players
I think you have to look at who is likely to come out of the districts:
Knott and Letcher
Hazard and Perry/Leslie
Breathitt and Wolfe
Powell and Estill/Lee
these have to be the top 10 and Knott, Hazard, Breathitt, and Powell have to be the favorites to win it all.
With the addition of the Whitaker kid hazard should win it all....
powell and kcc are the teams to beat this year
grandma's hoops Wrote:With the addition of the Whitaker kid hazard should win it all....

who is this whitaker kid that everyone is talking about. whats his first name, where is he from, and what grade
8477 Wrote:who is this whitaker kid that everyone is talking about. whats his first name, where is he from, and what grade

Evan Whitaker, from Leslie Co., and he's a Soph.
ekff Wrote:Evan Whitaker, from Leslie Co., and he's a Soph.

What position did he play for Leslie? Leslie had some good young players but don't remember this kid.
What did PCC lose from last year's team? Powell had a nice run in the tournament. KCC has all that pitching back, but can they score enough? I don't see Breathitt as a threat in the 14th. Wolfe has Creech, but can they play with good competition? Estill is always solid, as is Hazard. Not much talk about Lee Co. They always have a decent team. Dean always has LCC well prepared. Looks to be wide open this year!
Of course when talking 14th region baseball you have to always consider Perry and Hazard as two of the favorites. Coach Dean at LCC also does a great job having his teams in the mix. Powell and Estill also have very good baseball programs.
Knott has improved a lot over the past couple of seasons. Best thing about the 14th Region is the talent is spread throughout each district. There isn't just one or two teams that dominate in the region. Very tough region to win.
Jon Combs should be back in the Hazard rotation after not playing to concentrate on football.

I don't think Whitaker will be allowed to play this year.
Powell has the edge over knott. Knott lacks the corner outfielders.
i think Estill will surprise some people. they do play Hazard 3 times, Letcher Central 2 twice and knott central once
mandan Wrote:What did PCC lose from last year's team? Powell had a nice run in the tournament. KCC has all that pitching back, but can they score enough? I don't see Breathitt as a threat in the 14th. Wolfe has Creech, but can they play with good competition? Estill is always solid, as is Hazard. Not much talk about Lee Co. They always have a decent team. Dean always has LCC well prepared. Looks to be wide open this year!

Jordan Amis IF
Tyler Mullins OF
Corey Martin 3B/C/P
Chance Ashworth C/P
Ryan Chitwood SS/P
Dustin Feltner IF

That hurts, but they return some great players in Connor Hurt, Kevin Smith and Devin Turner.
Powell lost 2 players...a 3rd baseman and a DH. with a beefed up schedule this year the pirates will be gunning for that title, getting rid of that sour taste in thier mouth after last years finals performance.
I think it will be a lot more wide open than people realize this season? I think Powell has a great shot at winning it all this season, especially after their impressive run last year in the tournament. Also, the only other team in their district that could possibly do anything is Estill. So basically Powell has an easy road to the region. I think the big question will be the draw. If they get on a good sided bracket and can save a little bit of their pitching they'll be fine. If they get to finals I think they should be the favorite. However, the team you have to be careful with is Letcher. Granted they lost A LOT from graduation, but one thing always happens and it always comes back to hurt people in the end.....they underestimate Coach Dean. Chances are they will go into the tournament as a loser, and if whomever they draw pitches off in that game, I can see Letcher knocking off one of the winners. Its happens everytime Coach Dean goes in as an underdog. He definetely has the ability to outcoach anyone. Should be a great tourny this season?
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:.... However, the team you have to be careful with is Letcher. Granted they lost A LOT from graduation, but one thing always happens and it always comes back to hurt people in the end.....they underestimate Coach Dean. Chances are they will go into the tournament as a loser, and if whomever they draw pitches off in that game, I can see Letcher knocking off one of the winners. Its happens everytime Coach Dean goes in as an underdog. He definetely has the ability to outcoach anyone. Should be a great tourny this season?

They lost everything except their SS who is a very good player and the kid that pitched every big game for them. Yes they will be good and make it to the region but i would put them probably @ 5 or 6 of the teams that will make it to the tournament. BUT, you are right, if their 1st round opponent throws a #3 or #4 against them, look out...look what happened to Knott last year. I don't think anyone underestimates Coach Dean, he is a very good coach but saying he will be the difference in the game???? Don't see that, everyone comes prepared, some better than others, but players win the game
99% of the time.
X's and O's Wrote:They lost everything except their SS who is a very good player and the kid that pitched every big game for them. Yes they will be good and make it to the region but i would put them probably @ 5 or 6 of the teams that will make it to the tournament. BUT, you are right, if their 1st round opponent throws a #3 or #4 against them, look out...look what happened to Knott last year. I don't think anyone underestimates Coach Dean, he is a very good coach but saying he will be the difference in the game???? Don't see that, everyone comes prepared, some better than others, [SIZE="3"]but players win the game
99% of the time[/SIZE]

You don't really believe that do you? 99% of the time? Don't get me wrong there are more than a number of cases where you have less than mediocre coaches who have to rely on their players to get wins because well their just incompitent? However, how about the teams with less than average amount of talent who still put up winning records? Are you telling me their coach had only a 1% effect on those wins? I just can't get behind that.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:You don't really believe that do you? 99% of the time? Don't get me wrong there are more than a number of cases where you have less than mediocre coaches who have to rely on their players to get wins because well their just incompitent? However, how about the teams with less than average amount of talent who still put up winning records? Are you telling me their coach had only a 1% effect on those wins? I just can't get behind that.

My opinion is that coaches can prepare their teams, some better than others, but players have to perform and execute during the game to win. The preparation can help their player's chances in winning but I feel the players still have to get it done in the game.
Estill has the nicest field in the region. With it being held there, they could pull off a region title. that would make 3 in 4 years for the engineers. This same Engineer team beat the same Powell co. team two years ago in JV districts. The Engineers have improved just as much as the Powell team has over those years. So dont count out Estill.
Return of Potter and Slone-I like Knott Central.
Im going to take knott in this even they lost 4 seniors from last year but they got some great gloves and bats return as well as coming in
This early I like Powell, with Lee County being the dark horse of the region
Any word if Jon Combs will be playing for sure this season?
I think Powell, Kcc, and Estill are the top teams this year but no one is really a forsure run away winner this year..
Breathitt county will be strong they lost 2 seniors. Ritchie and Terry both pitchers but breathitt returns 7 starters and only has 2 seniors this year. They surprised a lot last year with a win over knott in the 1st round of the region
8477 Wrote:Breathitt county will be strong they lost 2 seniors. Ritchie and Terry both pitchers but breathitt returns 7 starters and only has 2 seniors this year. They surprised a lot last year with a win over knott in the 1st round of the region

Yes Breathitt may return 7 starters, but they only beat good teams when Ritchie was on the mound. His pitching was what helped them pull of big wins, without him they have no one to pitch against good teams
Baseballkid10 Wrote:Yes Breathitt may return 7 starters, but they only beat good teams when Ritchie was on the mound. His pitching was what helped them pull of big wins, without him they have no one to pitch against good teams

Hamilton (freshman lefty) threw a gem against KCC in the opening round of the regional tournament last year. He is good enough to beat anyone in the 14th.