Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preseason Football Games??
Should college football teams be able to schedule preseason games? For all other sports at all levels, pre-season games are routine, yet in college football it is not allowed. Do you have an opinion?
Do they scrimmage in College?
On the other hand, I am surprised they do not have preseason games in college charging fans full price for tix to watch the 8th string offense get some game reps. Schools would bring in so much extra money ripping off the fans like that.
Jarons Wrote:Do they scrimmage in College?
On the other hand, I am surprised they do not have preseason games in college charging fans full price for tix to watch the 8th string offense get some game reps. Schools would bring in so much extra money ripping off the fans like that.

They do not scrimmage, or have preseason games in college football.

So you don't think that they are screwing the fans now when "Giant State" puts on their schedule a warm-up game that they fans pay fullprice for, and it goes into their overall record as a win against "You don't even belong on the football field State"?

Why do you think these big schools schedule these D2 and D3 schools in their opener? It's because they want to work the kinks out before they have to play a real game! If they scrimmaged or played a preseason game instead, don't you think it would make the quality of the games that they schedule in the regular season that much better.

Instead, the fans get:

Wake Forrest 53 - Presbyterian 13
Miami (FL) 45 - Florida A&M 0
Indiana 51 - Towson 17
Nevada 49 - Eastern Washington 24
Florida State 59 - Samford 6
California 52 - UC Davis 3
Tennessee 50 - Tennessee-Martin 0

These are preseason games, but these teams got a cakewalk game and an easy 1-0 record. If they played a preseason game, they would probably schedule these same teams and then maybe these teams would gamble more with the rest of their schedule.
Stardust Wrote:They do not scrimmage, or have preseason games in college football.

So you don't think that they are screwing the fans now when "Giant State" puts on their schedule a warm-up game that they fans pay fullprice for, and it goes into their overall record as a win against "You don't even belong on the football field State"?

Why do you think these big schools schedule these D2 and D3 schools in their opener? It's because they want to work the kinks out before they have to play a real game! If they scrimmaged or played a preseason game instead, don't you think it would make the quality of the games that they schedule in the regular season that much better.

Instead, the fans get:

Indiana 51 - Towson 17

These are preseason games, but these teams got a cakewalk game and an easy 1-0 record. If they played a preseason game, they would probably schedule these same teams and then maybe these teams would gamble more with the rest of their schedule.

I'm old school. I don't want a playoff, and I don't want a scrimmage. I love the mismatches. As a fan of a smaller D1 school like EKU, it gives us fans a chance to dream "what if". Yeah the smaller schools hardly ever win, but it does happen: Michigan vs. Appy St, Ole Miss vs Jacksonville St, and EKU vs Louisville (back in the 80's). EKU almost beat Indiana last year. The smaller schools hardly ever win but nobody expects them to. Plus it gives their athletes a chance to play in a larger stadium and test their skills against the best and besides the smaller school gets a large check that is very badly needed for their athletic program.
Stardust Wrote:They do not scrimmage, or have preseason games in college football.

Instead, the fans get:

Indiana 51 - Towson 17

Good point. The title of the thread is "Preseason Games" or something like that, my mind automatically thought of the NFL. I did not occur to me big school playing direction university is essentially a preseason game and hosing the fans that pay full price for the games.
Westside Wrote:I'm old school. I don't want a playoff, and I don't want a scrimmage. I love the mismatches. As a fan of a smaller D1 school like EKU, it gives us fans a chance to dream "what if". Yeah the smaller schools hardly ever win, but it does happen: Michigan vs. Appy St, Ole Miss vs Jacksonville St, and EKU vs Louisville (back in the 80's). EKU almost beat Indiana last year. The smaller schools hardly ever win but nobody expects them to. Plus it gives their athletes a chance to play in a larger stadium and test their skills against the best and besides the smaller school gets a large check that is very badly needed for their athletic program.

That is a great argument. But, when Nebraska goes 14-0 and they had 2 games against "Nobody Cares University" and then an SEC team has 1 loss after 14 legitimate games, the voters go with the undefeated team at the top.

Virginia Tech will be penalized for scheduling a decent team to start the season. They just lost their opportunity to play for a national title because they have to fight all the way back into a top 10 ranking to even get consideration down the stretch.

Virginia Tech came into the week as the #10 team in the nation. They lose to the #3 team and will now be knocked down to probably 14 or 15. Yet, #8 Nebraska beats WKU 49-10, #7 Oklahoma escapes with a 31-24 win over Utah state, #9 Iowa wins 37-7 over Eastern Illinois and they will hold their positions. They play feel good games for the teams that deserved nothing more than a scrimmage opportunity, and provide false rankings in comparison to the Hokies.

I get your point, but the quality of the big schools schedules would be much better if they had the opportunity to play warm-ups before their seasons actually started. I want to see all the teams play solid schedules. I don't think Jacksonville State wins if this was game three of the schedule.
Stardust Wrote:That is a great argument. But, when Nebraska goes 14-0 and they had 2 games against "Nobody Cares University" and then an SEC team has 1 loss after 14 legitimate games, the voters go with the undefeated team at the top.

Virginia Tech will be penalized for scheduling a decent team to start the season. They just lost their opportunity to play for a national title because they have to fight all the way back into a top 10 ranking to even get consideration down the stretch.

Virginia Tech came into the week as the #10 team in the nation. They lose to the #3 team and will now be knocked down to probably 14 or 15. Yet, #8 Nebraska beats WKU 49-10, #7 Oklahoma escapes with a 31-24 win over Utah state, #9 Iowa wins 37-7 over Eastern Illinois and they will hold their positions. They play feel good games for the teams that deserved nothing more than a scrimmage opportunity, and provide false rankings in comparison to the Hokies.

I get your point, but the quality of the big schools schedules would be much better if they had the opportunity to play warm-ups before their seasons actually started. I want to see all the teams play solid schedules. I don't think Jacksonville State wins if this was game three of the schedule.

I agree. I guess it depends on what point of view you take.
[quote=Westside]I agree. I guess it depends on what point of view you take.[/QUOTE]

Make it easy on yourself Westie, and take mine :biggrin:
Stardust Wrote:[quote=Westside]I agree. I guess it depends on what point of view you take.[/QUOTE]

Make it easy on yourself Westie, and take mine :biggrin:

LOL!!!!!!!! That's what I was thinking.