Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simon Kenton 31 Dixie Heights 28
Final.
Well, the Neers win, but was it a quality win?
Stardust Wrote:Well, the Neers win, but was it a quality win?

A wins a win and you picked the other way.:ChairHit:
hop24 Wrote:A wins a win and you picked the other way.:ChairHit:

I did pick the other way. Sounds like the 6A highly ranked team struggled with a 5A team that is still questionable, thus, was it still a quality win when on paper they were supposed to win this handily?
congrats to sk
Stardust Wrote:I did pick the other way. Sounds like the 6A highly ranked team struggled with a 5A team that is still questionable, thus, was it still a quality win when on paper they were supposed to win this handily?

I think the 6A team is the questionable one. Dixie's just average as usual. SK is better by one player. Lawrence. I don't see him carrying this team like Simpson did.
I knew and know very little about either team. I went back and forth on this one. In the end I was wrong. Congrats to S.K.
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...309030126/

With time winding down and his team facing a fourth down and potential game-winning field goal, Simon Kenton coach Jeff Marksberry summoned Cody Herald.

He had a question for his first-year varsity kicker, but it had nothing to do with his leg.

• Photos: Pioneers 31, Colonels 28

"I asked him if his face hurt,” Marksberry said. “He said no. I said, ‘Well it’s going to after you kick this and everyone’s mobbing you."

Marksberry was right on, and so was Herald. The senior made a chip-shot field goal to propel the Pioneers to a 31-28 victory over Dixie Heights on Friday night at Rice Mountjoy Stadium.

The kick completed a fourth-quarter comeback and put the finishing touches on a back-and-forth game between the third- and fourth-ranked teams in the Enquirer Northern Kentucky coaches’ poll.

No. 3 Simon Kenton trailed for most of the game. And after tying the game briefly in the third quarter, it fell behind 28-21 on an 11-yard fourth-quarter touchdown run from Dixie Heights quarterback Zeke Pike.

That’s when Simon Kenton senior quarterback Chad Lawrence led the comeback. He manned an eight-play, 73-yard drive – keyed by his 36-yard run on fourth-and-1 and capped by his 7-yard game-tying touchdown run.

• Lawrence turns in dazzling performance

The Pioneers then forced a three-and-out and took over at their own 30-yard line with 6:28 remaining. Lawrence again led Simon Kenton downfield, and with the aid of two key third-down penalties, it found itself with a first-and-goal at the 5-yard line.

After coming up short on three running plays, the Pioneers brought in Herald on fourth-and-goal from the 1.

“I don’t hesitate; I just do every kick the same,” said Herald, who didn’t play football last year to concentrate on soccer. “I don’t want to overkick or anything.”

Dixie Heights called timeout to ice Herald. But it didn’t work. After play resumed with 18 seconds remaining he calmly split the uprights with the 18-yarder.

“I knew it was good,” said Marksberry. “I had no second thoughts about kicking that field goal.”

Dixie had one more chance, which ended after an awkward series of pitches and backward passes finally ended with an illegal forward lateral.

For the Colonels, the game marked the second time this season that they’d let a lead slip away in the fourth quarter. It also happened in a season-opening loss to Newport Central Catholic.

“I hope it’s stuff we can fix,” said Dixie coach Tom Spritzky. “But it’s disappointing to blow a game. Simon played really well. But I’m disappointed in how we played with the lead.”

Dixie Heights appeared to be cruising in the first half. The Colonels took a 21-8 lead on Bobby Leonard’s second touchdown reception of the game. And with time winding down in the first half, it looked like they might lead to their advantage. But Austin Baldwin picked off a Pike pass with 11 seconds remaining, then Lawrence threw a 21-yard touchdown pass to Ryan Winker.

“Ryan’s a great receiver,” said Lawrence. “He went up and made a big play. He’s my go-to guy. He just made a great play on the ball. I’m thankful for that.”

The game not only was a matchup of two of the area’s best teams, but two of the best quarterbacks. Lawrence finished with 113 yards and one touchdown rushing. He threw for 272 yards and three touchdowns. Pike ran for 80 yards and two scores and threw for 216 yards and two scores.
http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...2/9040348/

During his series of post-game interviews, Simon Kenton coach Jeff Marksberry used the word "magical" when referring to Chad Lawrence so many times, one would think the senior quarterback was a unicorn.

But he's not. He's just an awfully dynamic quarterback with a knack for making something out of nothing. And he proved it Friday.

After suffering from a groin injury during last week's 34-0 loss to Middletown, Lawrence was back to his old self: evading tacklers, finding open receivers, making heady plays.

"Magic things happen when he has the ball," said Marksberry. "You could tell he wasn't 100 percent last week. He was a different kid this week."

With the loss of all-state running back Miles Simpson to graduation, the Pioneers are undoubtedly Lawrence's team. He's also the main offensive weapon. He proved it against Dixie Heights with a series of improvisational plays that kept the Pioneers in the game.

First, there was the 82-yard floater of a touchdown pass that he threw to Zach Carroll in the first quarter. He followed it with a two-point conversion run out of the swinging gate formation. In the second half, he kept a drive alive with an electrifying 10-yard run on a busted play, then on a 36-yard run on fourth-and-one. He capped that drive by getting around the left end and diving into the end zone just inside the pylon.

"It's different for sure, but I like having the ball in my hands," Lawrence said. "I'm a competitor; I always want it."

THE OTHER QUARTERBACK: Dixie Heights quarterback Zeke Pike had an up-and-down game behind center - he ran for two scores, threw for two scores and was intercepted twice - but his size and athleticism was a big factor.

The junior Division I prospect blocked an extra point. He recorded a sack. On one third-quarter play, he cleared the way for Seth Bruns on a 10-yard carry by throwing three downfield blocks on three different players.

"The biggest challenge Zeke presented ... is that he's a threat to run it, but if you come up on him he's going to throw it over your head," said Marksberry. "That was my biggest fear with him, that if we didn't get him on the ground he was going to make a big play throwing it or running it."
Can you dig it? Wrote:I think the 6A team is the questionable one. Dixie's just average as usual. SK is better by one player. Lawrence. I don't see him carrying this team like Simpson did.

Just as usual. No matter what SK does you will never compliment them. It would kill you to say one nice thing about them. Its always only one player that carries SK according to you guys. Chad is a great QB and athlete all around no doubt. But face it boys if you ever played ball you no as well as anyone that one person can not be the team. These seniors have been playing together since middle school. There records there were 9-0 for one group and 7-2 for the other. They came together their freshman year and went undefeated. The have been together all this time and are all good athletes. Give them a break and give credit to more than just one player. That player alone would tell you the same thing so grow up and show some support to todays youth athletes.
neerfan Wrote:Just as usual. No matter what SK does you will never compliment them. It would kill you to say one nice thing about them. Its always only one player that carries SK according to you guys. Chad is a great QB and athlete all around no doubt. But face it boys if you ever played ball you no as well as anyone that one person can not be the team. These seniors have been playing together since middle school. There records there were 9-0 for one group and 7-2 for the other. They came together their freshman year and went undefeated. The have been together all this time and are all good athletes. Give them a break and give credit to more than just one player. That player alone would tell you the same thing so grow up and show some support to todays youth athletes.

I hear what you're saying but Diggity dog is basically saying that if Lawrence went down, the Pioneers would be doomed. With that said, Chad is carrying this team just like Simpson did last year. Much respect should be given to the rest of the squad as well.
WRONG, Again one man can not carry a team. Get real folks. One man can be the leader but can not be the whole team. Thats why its called a team. As far as Chad going down we have a sophomore that can move the ball down the field as well. As much as you you haters hate to admit it, Marksberry has built an up and coming program in South Kenton County. It hurts the people from Campbell County to face the fact that they may not be the only team around NKY that may be considered one of the best. Last year you same folks gave all the credit to Miles now he is gone and you want to say its just Chad. GROW UP FOLKS
neerfan Wrote:WRONG, Again one man can not carry a team. Get real folks. One man can be the leader but can not be the whole team. Thats why its called a team. As far as Chad going down we have a sophomore that can move the ball down the field as well. As much as you you haters hate to admit it, Marksberry has built an up and coming program in South Kenton County. It hurts the people from Campbell County to face the fact that they may not be the only team around NKY that may be considered one of the best. Last year you same folks gave all the credit to Miles now he is gone and you want to say its just Chad. GROW UP FOLKS

Much respect should be given to SK's squad. Please quit trying to sell Marksberry to us. I'm happy that SK has turned the corner. You're deeply protective of SK and I respect that about you. I'm glad Dale hasn't scheduled SK b/c I'm not sure how you would handle a beatdown by the Birds.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Much respect should be given to SK's squad. Please quit trying to sell Marksberry to us. I'm happy that SK has turned the corner. You're deeply protective of SK and I respect that about you. I'm glad Dale hasn't scheduled SK b/c I'm not sure how you would handle a beatdown by the Birds.

:thatsfunnI am not selling anything to anybody. You seem awful confident in the Birds yourself but how would you handle a beatdown by the Pioneers could be the question. Again if Lawrence went down we would continue on with Swanson at the realm. I am tired of wasting my time arguing this with you each yearover this issue.:flush: