Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greenup Co. 28 Russell 6
grim_reminder Wrote:We have 18 eight graders and they all played up in the freshman game. I believe only 2 sophmores played there is only 8 freshman. Copley wants all 8th graders playing freshman along with their middle school schedule. I think its a little much there is a big differance between 8th and freshman I seen that when they played Ashland just glad nobody got hurt. I don't know wh he would cancel the jv game those boys need to play thats the future of any school.

Yeah I can't imagine why he thought that would be a good idea mix 8th with frosh/soph??
Man... I didn't know that not real sure the Ashland coaches knew about either? Doesn't seem like a good plan to me? But better than no game at all I guess. Does seem like a sure way to get someone hurt tho.
grim_reminder Wrote:We have 18 eight graders and they all played up in the freshman game. I believe only 2 sophmores played there is only 8 freshman. Copley wants all 8th graders playing freshman along with their middle school schedule. I think its a little much there is a big differance between 8th and freshman I seen that when they played Ashland just glad nobody got hurt. I don't know wh he would cancel the jv game those boys need to play thats the future of any school.
Duh, because we have 3 sophomores and 8 freshman and would get thrashed in JV, and wouldnt help anyone. What is the big difference in Fresh and 8th? Did most of the boys playing up not play on the 8th grade last year as 7th graders. So they played the same teams last year as this year. Were you worried for them last year? Last year they played two games back to back. Now playing on Thursday and Saturday is to much? Fact of the matter is, some of these good 8th graders may play some varsity next season, so they better get all the experience they can, and Mommy and Daddy should be happy Copley is trying to get them prepared now rather than next season.

Kosar Wrote:Duh, because we have 3 sophomores and 8 freshman and would get thrashed in JV, and wouldnt help anyone. What is the big difference in Fresh and 8th? Did most of the boys playing up not play on the 8th grade last year as 7th graders. So they played the same teams last year as this year. Were you worried for them last year? Last year they played two games back to back. Now playing on Thursday and Saturday is to much? Fact of the matter is, some of these good 8th graders may play some varsity next season, so they better get all the experience they can, and Mommy and Daddy should be happy Copley is trying to get them prepared now rather than next
season.

Well there maynot be much difference between 8/9 th graders.... But 8/10th grade? Quite a bit kids mature alot between these years an do alot of growing!
Is there a KHSAA rule that prohibits middle schoolers from playing a contact sport with High School players?
gapman Wrote:Is there a KHSAA rule that prohibits middle schoolers from playing a contact sport with High School players?
Yes. The Dennis Johnson rule. Basically says no one below 9th grade can play a varsity contact sport. The part I'm not sure about is what constitutes varsity. If playing sophmores and up makes it varsity? Juniors and up? I'm not sure about. I've heard it a few different ways.
FBALL Wrote:Yes. The Dennis Johnson rule. Basically says no one below 9th grade can play a varsity contact sport. The part I'm not sure about is what constitutes varsity. If playing sophmores and up makes it varsity? Juniors and up? I'm not sure about. I've heard it a few different ways.

According to Khsaa 8th graders can play on Freshman or JV teams as long as there are no student athletes involved beyond the 10th grade.

Students
in grades seven (7) or eight (8) may not participate (practice,
scrimmage or play) on non-varsity (freshman, junior varsity,
etc.) level teams in football or soccer if any member of the
team they are representing or the team they are competing
against is enrolled in any grade above grade ten (10). It is
the obligation of the school desiring to allow the seventh or
eighth grade student to participate with the non-varsity team
to ensure compliance with this provision. Students below grade
seven (7) may not participate (practice, scrimmage or play) on
any high school level team (freshman, JV, varsity) in football or
soccer.
There you have it
Those 8th graders killed the Russell Fresh last night, and before anyone uses the "Soph" excuse there were only 3 of them and none played a skill postion.
What was the score of the Freshman game?
34-14

those sophs killed Russell on the line though. It was Russells first freshman game and they looked unprepared at best.

What grades are 11, 19 and 32 in? Those are the three skill players that stuck out to me for GC.

Russell had some bright spots but the defensive front needs alot of work. The RBs for GC were never touched comming through the hole on alot of runs. Russell will be fine when they figure out who to play where.
Never mind.

11 and 19 are freshman an 32 an 8th grader.
FBALL Wrote:Never mind.

11 and 19 are freshman an 32 an 8th grader.
Lol......only one soph played offense. 2ight tackle Austin Forbes. I think ur getting 11 and 31 confused 11 played end. Marsh was at RB and I think wore 31 and is an 8th grader.
Kosar Wrote:Lol......only one soph played offense. 2ight tackle Austin Forbes. I think ur getting 11 and 31 confused 11 played end. Marsh was at RB and I think wore 31 and is an 8th grader.

Nope. I'm not confused. It was 11 I was talking about. His blocking and tackling were more impressive than any of the RBs. Most of those long runs were between him and that right tackle and the backs were untouched.

Personally thought 11 and 19 were Greenups two best players.
32 (Lawson) and 33 (Marsh) are both 8th graders and were the primary rb's/kick returners along with 19 Jeffrey whos a freshman. My son was 30 TE/punter and is in 8th grade also. 11 at the other TE i think is Skylar who is a freshman.

GC had at least 4 to 5 8th graders on the field the entire game be it offense, defense or special teams. 4th quarter it was entirely 8th at least on offense. Before the 4th quarter, at least 10 8th graders had played in the game at some point.
GC was impressive and looked very well. Russell looked confused and should have been ready or at the least better prepared. These kids should have known the Wing-T better than that. But of coarse GC should be better than Russell. Bigger school, more kids. :biggrin::biggrin: I guess when you play your kids up, when opportunity arises, it only makes them better. The soph didn't change a thing. The eighth graders looked promising.
Congrats on the win GC
Greenup is bigger than Ironton, should Greenup be better? Dedication by both players and coaches is what is needed.
FBALL Wrote:Let the mousketeers gloat a little. It won't happen very often.

As for the cupboard. GC cancelled the JV game and are sending Sophmores along with their 6 or 7 freshman to play Russell's freshman. Also Russell had two seniors starting on defense and 4 on offense.

Russell also has a sophmore class of around 30 kids and a freshman class of 26. Which cupboard looks better?
first off the gc freshman team was all freshman and 18 8th graders i played i would no... the runningbacks wur both 8th graders and the fullback was a freshman we had no juniors and only three sophomores maybe russel just needs to step their game up theyll be seeing me and marsh next year to