Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wesley Christian High School
Will the new Wesley Christian High School field a varsity football team? If so who is the head coach?
Bleacher_Creature_10 Wrote:Will the new Wesley Christian High School field a varsity football team? If so who is the head coach?

where will this school be located?
Strikeout King Wrote:where will this school be located?

You know im not really sure. The elementary school is located in Allen, so my guess is it would be located there?
Bleacher_Creature_10 Wrote:You know im not really sure. The elementary school is located in Allen, so my guess is it would be located there?

that's where i'd guess it will be located since the Elementary school is there
They are building it right next to the elementary. Last i heard they were building a field for football but as of right now i don't know anything for sure.
I am ignorant to the situation, but where is Allen?
As much as I would love to see this (and I have heard rumors that a VERY big name coach in this area who are nearing retirement may be interested in starting this program), I don't think it is possible.

1). There are already 7 high schools in Floyd County (counting The David School, Piarist, and OU). There aren't enough kids to go around as it is and getting enough kids to field a football team will be a huge problem.

2). Wesley Christian School K-8 doesn't graduate enough kids to field a high school team. They would have to rely on local kids changing schools to play football, which begs the question: If you lived locally, would you rather play at a fledgling program at Wesley or go to P-burg and play?

3). Football is the toughest sport to have at the high school level as it requires the most kids. If Wesley High School wants to have HS athletics, basketball would be the easiest, as you need far fewer numbers and Wesley K-8 already has an elementary school basketball program.

In short...a private high school in Floyd County, especially a Christian one, is a good or even great thing. However, I think the odds on having a football program at Wesley High School are very, very long at best... Basketball, sure...Baseball, maybe...but football?????
Normally, I would agree with you without a second thought.. Because of past history has showed that athletics in Floyd Co. and many surronding counties, when it comes to private Christian Schools, have had the lack of big support, and getting enough intrest where other kids would want to go to that school to play.. But with Wesley, I see something that could possibly be much different than your MCA/Piarist Schools like we have known in the past.. Number 1, they have people in place that are involved in the day to day operations of the school that have a HUGE intrest in sports, and thinks it is good for the kids, and they want as many kids as they can get to come to the school, because that is the main goal, getting kids in a great enviroment, where the education and just overall enviroment is considered to be much more postitive and safe for kids in these days.. That being the main goal, to get kids into the school, they said that to do that, is they have to build top notch athletic programs, to draw kids from other places into their school.. Which totally makes sense.. It doesn't hurt either, that this school, has great financial backing.. The combination of that, and people who actually know sports, and are very enthusiastic of doing what needs to be done to have a popular and successful athletic programs, you have a chance, to break the barrier that is known as good schools to go to for education and good enviroment for kids, but not a place to send a kid that wants to work towards a future in athletics.. If done right, the private school setting has all the makings to build a very good basketball program.. I think that is the key, if they show improvment year by year, and start building a intrest into the basketball program, that will show people they take athletics very serious, and then I think they could start to work towards having and building a football program.. I think there would be nothing any better for this area, than to have a private school, that has top notch athletic programs.. My two children are very young as of now, but both, especially my oldest son who will be turning 9, loves to play any and all sports, with basketball being his biggest love.. If he continues to be serious about playing, and a school like Wesley had developed a good program, I would defiantley consider sending my kid there.. But back to the football, I think it will be tough this early in the school's exsistance, but with the support and people that I do know that are working to build solid athletics in this school, I'm very confident that this private christian school, might break the mold that we here in Floyd Co, have known for sports to be at those schools.. Mainly, because the intrest is there from the people who run the school, and frankly, that has never been there at the others we have known around here.. Or itleast not enough to work on doing it the right way, and building a team that would draw kids from the area to that school.. But in the past it was to do enough to field a team for the kids that are there in the school to be able to participate in sports if they wanted to do so.. Never doing anything more to actually turn it into a respectable program, and that is what the people that are over Wesley are really working towards, and badly wanting to do.. Will be interesting to see if it takes..