Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Coach in the 15th Region
Who is it?
Cindy Halbert is one of the best
Cindy is good, but if you notice she always has a good side kick. She had a great assistant at Belfry and had Coach Patton when she was at AC, and now Coach Rosen at Pikeville (who played for a good Belfry team in the mid-90's). I think she is good. I think Coach Akers at BL is one of the best. She built a powerhouse from nothing in a matter of 3 - 4 years. I also think Bobby Spears use to be--he recently resigned from Shelby Valley. Tammy Tussey is great too! There are a lot!
I like those coaches, and I would add Jack Pack to that list too. He really could be a motivational speaker, and he's intense. Some people don't like him, but once you talk to him he really is a great person and a great coach.
You have to put Magoffin's coach in there. His girls are playing even harder for him than they did for Nehi. We all know how good Nehi is.

Paintsville's coach would have to the worse coach in the state.

Pikeville, Betsy Layne, and Pike Co Central also has good coaches.

There is also one other bad coach that drives me crazy, but if I mention their name, it would let everyone know who I am, so .....

I forgot Wireman at Johnson Central. He's done a great job for 12+ years.
I forgot about Wireman at JC too.. He is forsure one of the best!!
All of these people mentioned are good coaches
The Late Judy Eversole was probably the best the region ever had.
Pikeville's Halbert, Rosen, and Shockey makes a great combination, and of course we dont want to forget George...
AMEN on Eversole!
"phsplyr17" Wrote:Pikeville's Halbert, Rosen, and Shockey makes a great combination, and of course we dont want to forget George...
I was thinkin the same thing....I mean Halbert has how many regional Championships?? and Shockey has many years of head coaching plus 2 regional championships not to mention played at UK and was all state (maybe all american cant remember)...
I will also amen Eversole did not matter how the team was in the regular season they would beat someone and make the region year in and year out what a coach not many like that anymore kids would quit or parents would want to get them fire because she did not win every game.

but in todays game I would have to go with Coach Keathley/Akers My wife played for her at mcdowell and even though she coachs at BL the last all a championship they where 10 girls that played for her at Mcdowell at the game cheering for her that tell you she has done something right. Plus she treats her players the smae and has won 3 stright all a regionals 3 stright distrcits and a regional in the last little bit not counting the good teams she had at mcdowell. I like Halbert,pikeville and cambell at phelps but i will say Coach Akers is the best.
"sportwhiz" Wrote:Paintsville's coach would have to be the worst coach in the state.

YEP
Definatly the Panthers Staff is at the top of my list
How many regional titles has Coach Halbert had? I didn't think it was too many? She hasn't had any since she left Belfry, but I don't know her stats there. I know BL took them in 93-94 in the regional finals.
I agree completely with littlej. Coach Akers is great.
"Beef" Wrote:
"phsplyr17" Wrote:Pikeville's Halbert, Rosen, and Shockey makes a great combination, and of course we dont want to forget George...
I was thinkin the same thing....I mean Halbert has how many regional Championships?? and Shockey has many years of head coaching plus 2 regional championships not to mention played at UK and was all state (maybe all american cant remember)...
You're right Beef, she played for UK and is a member of the 1,000 point club. She was also named UK Female Athlete of the year, as well as being named All-American. She also played in the Junior Olympics for Team USA while she was in college. Pikeville has the greatest coaching staff in the region no question, maybe even the state.
Akers isn't nearly as good as Halbert
Tammy Tussy of PC
"BLHSalum53" Wrote:How many regional titles has Coach Halbert had? I didn't think it was too many? She hasn't had any since she left Belfry, but I don't know her stats there. I know BL took them in 93-94 in the regional finals.
I agree completely with littlej. Coach Akers is great.

I also think Akers is a very good coach.

I did some research, asked around, and looked at the banners in our gym to answer your question.

Halbert:

15th year coaching, 13th as a head coach

Played at Belfry 80-84
Won 4 districts-81, 82, 83, 84
Won region-84
State runnerup-84

Assistant at Belfry 1990-1992

Belfry Head Coach 1992-2000
Won 60th District-93,94,95,96,97,98,99,00
Won 15th region-96,97,99

Allen Central 2000-2003
Won 58th District-2003

Pikeville 2003-present
Won 59th District-2004
Won 15th All "A" 2005

Has won around 250 games to date...............not sure about the exact number.

How many people who be at 3 different places and do all that in such a short time?

Posted Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:55 pm:

"BLHSalum53" Wrote:Cindy is good, but if you notice she always has a good side kick. She had a great assistant at Belfry and had Coach Patton when she was at AC, and now Coach Rosen at Pikeville (who played for a good Belfry team in the mid-90's). I think she is good. I think Coach Akers at BL is one of the best. She built a powerhouse from nothing in a matter of 3 - 4 years. I also think Bobby Spears use to be--he recently resigned from Shelby Valley. Tammy Tussey is great too! There are a lot!

Halbert always seems to surround herself with great help! I don't know how the folks at Pikeville pulled it off, but she and Shockey make a GREAT DUO, and Rosen and the older man just add to the mix!
The folks at Pville pulled it off with lots-o-cash, trust that. Coaches can get paid more at independent schools--a lot more. I agree that Halbert is a good coach--seems like you have a lot of free time to jot all of that down, thank you!

15thregioncrazy, Akers isn't nearly as good as Halbert--that's a pretty strong statement. It has a lot to do with what you have to work with.
There was the guy back at Elkhorn called Mack Gibson. He always had them girls playin good and they were tough to beat. He should probably be a coach somewhere cause he was the best girls coach this area has had in a long time.
"BLHSalum53" Wrote:The folks at Pville pulled it off with lots-o-cash, trust that. Coaches can get paid more at independent schools--a lot more. I agree that Halbert is a good coach--seems like you have a lot of free time to jot all of that down, thank you!
TERACHERS get paid more at Pikeville
"BLHSalum53" Wrote:The folks at Pville pulled it off with lots-o-cash, trust that. Coaches can get paid more at independent schools--a lot more. I agree that Halbert is a good coach--seems like you have a lot of free time to jot all of that down, thank you!

15thregioncrazy, Akers isn't nearly as good as Halbert--that's a pretty strong statement. It has a lot to do with what you have to work with.
Pikeville is a independent school they can pretty much do what they want...lol
There is a coaching salary system that is used based on how much the sport brings in and how much time is required....

At Pikeville Football, Boys Basketball, and Girls Basketball get paid then most....I'll try to get the rest of the breakdown for you.
"BallaBaby" Wrote:I like those coaches, and I would add Jack Pack to that list too. He really could be a motivational speaker, and he's intense. Some people don't like him, but once you talk to him he really is a great person and a great coach.

Agreed
Yeah teachers do get paid considerably more at Pikeville, and so do the coaches. There have been a lot of unspoken benefits that accompany a coaching job at Pville. They wanted her, they offered, and she accepted. Simple as that-we'll leave the rest under the table.
Just out of curiosity... what are some of the "unspoken benefits"?
Im going to go with Belfry's coach (forgot his name)
CIndy at Pikeville

and i hear rumor of Tussey steeping down from the Pike Central position this is just rumor but comes from a VERY VERY reliable source. Rumor is shes going to take the Johns Creek job doesnt make sense to me. :-s
"15thRegionCrazy" Wrote:Akers isn't nearly as good as Halbert

AGREED!
"15thRegionCrazy" Wrote:Cindy Halbert is one of the best

I couldn't agree more.

And Tussey won't be leaving from Pike Central to goto Johns Creek. Crank is JC's coach and he led the girls to the championship.