Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phelps 2010-2011 season
Will they have any talent in the freshman and sophomore class that could make a big impact.
myhero#5 Wrote:Will they have any talent in the freshman and sophomore class that could make a big impact.

Knowing what I know about those kids I can tell you they will have a lot of talent... Having the right attitude and a coach who will get them an enhanced schedule, practice them on a regular basis, and put the players on the field who need to be on the field in order to win they should be able to make huge leaps towards being one of the best in the region. Playing hard and putting 100% in their game will be a huge impact on the outcome of these young men and their record next year!!! Smile

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
phs1986 Wrote:Knowing what I know about those kids I can tell you they will have a lot of talent... Having the right attitude and a coach who will get them an enhanced schedule, practice them on a regular basis, and put the players on the field who need to be on the field in order to win they should be able to make huge leaps towards being one of the best in the region. Playing hard and putting 100% in their game will be a huge impact on the outcome of these young men and their record next year!!! Smile

I know a lot of people will say this is far fetched and Phelps will never be one of the best in the region, but I am going to agree with you somewhat on this. I think the eastern kentucky regions typically are not really strong top to bottom. You will have a couple of teams at the top that can compete on a statewide level, but for the most part they are all pretty much less than mediocre. However, if you look at the teams that are on the top of that list year in year out they are generally the same teams every year. So what does that tell you? Does that mean that this particular are of eastern kentucky have that much better kids in their school? I refuse to believe that. I think the reason you see the same teams at the top of the list every year is because they have by far the hardest working coaches in the region. They know what to teach them and how to teach and they instill a sense of competitiveness in them that carries over to games and they refuse to lose. I honestly believe if you put a coach like that in the Phelps area and give him time to get to the little leagues and put in a program, then I think Phelps could become that. That may sound crazy but I truly believe, in baseball especially, that you get rewarded for the work you put in. I could also be wrong too, they may get a coach and then never buy into what he's doing, and they continue to try to walk in quick sand...
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I know a lot of people will say this is far fetched and Phelps will never be one of the best in the region, but I am going to agree with you somewhat on this. I think the eastern kentucky regions typically are not really strong top to bottom. You will have a couple of teams at the top that can compete on a statewide level, but for the most part they are all pretty much less than mediocre. However, if you look at the teams that are on the top of that list year in year out they are generally the same teams every year. So what does that tell you? Does that mean that this particular are of eastern kentucky have that much better kids in their school? I refuse to believe that. I think the reason you see the same teams at the top of the list every year is because they have by far the hardest working coaches in the region. They know what to teach them and how to teach and they instill a sense of competitiveness in them that carries over to games and they refuse to lose. I honestly believe if you put a coach like that in the Phelps area and give him time to get to the little leagues and put in a program, then I think Phelps could become that. That may sound crazy but I truly believe, in baseball especially, that you get rewarded for the work you put in. I could also be wrong too, they may get a coach and then never buy into what he's doing, and they continue to try to walk in quick sand...

Good Post! If the kids will commit to playing summer and fall and someone will take the time to give them the opportunity to play, they could have a chance. I am afraid that wont happen. Look at Lawrence and Johnson Cental, they play a summer schedule. Paintsville kids play legion ball. Pikeville and Belfry kids play travel ball in the summer, with Pikeville kids who had 6 playing fall baseball. No wonder those teams are always competitive the coaches and parents give them opportunities not afforded to all schools. SC has Mike Hall who does a trememdous job with them. No wonder the same teams are at the top year in and year out.
Commanche Wrote:Good Post! If the kids will commit to playing summer and fall and someone will take the time to give them the opportunity to play, they could have a chance. I am afraid that wont happen. Look at Lawrence and Johnson Cental, they play a summer schedule. Paintsville kids play legion ball. Pikeville and Belfry kids play travel ball in the summer, with Pikeville kids who had 6 playing fall baseball. No wonder those teams are always competitive the coaches and parents give them opportunities not afforded to all schools. SC has Mike Hall who does a trememdous job with them. No wonder the same teams are at the top year in and year out.

I agree with you 100% on this post.... The thing is, not only do the kids have to have a coach that dedicates himself to their program, they have to dedicate themeselves to WANTING to get better. Go out and find themselves a team to play summer and fall ball on.... Practice through the off months, work to improve yourself and SHOW that you are interested in being the best. My son used to play baseball through the Phelps LL program when he was smaller and they were a very competitive team back then. Phelps actually has a LOT of talent that should be coming back next year as well as some newbie's movin up from the middle school team. Hard work, dedication, work ethic, and a coach that will dedicate himself to the kids as they dedicate themselves to the program, will improve this team leaps and bounds....

OH.... I understand about the facilities being hard to get on when it rains. I can remember being up there after a rain one evening and home plate had at least 4 inches of water on it. IMHO, the county needs to put a little cash in field improvements so that these kids have the same opportunity as the rest of us who play 30+ games a season.... Playing a nice challenging schedule (if the field is playable) can help out at the end of the season as well!! Smile

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]