Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Basketball has lost a Legend.
College Basketball has lost arguably it's best coach. John Wooden passed away at the age of 99. College basketball has lost a wonderful coach and an even more wonderful man. RIP Coach Wooden
My thoughts and prayers to the family. Mr. Wooden was and still is a great icon to look up to.
Not a huge fan of Wooden's basketball prowess or UCLA basketball but I am a fan of John Wooden as one of the greatest competitors and one of the most respected men to ever be involved with any sport at any level. The world of sports has lost an incredible person. Prayers for the family.
WITHOUT A DOUBT THE GREATEST COLLEGE COACH OF ALL TIME. Possibly of any sport. No one can ever match all his accomplishments. Prayers to the family, they lost a great man. But 99 is a pretty long, and obviously fulfilling, life.
IMO there isnt even an arguement about it. Wooden was the greatest coach to ever coach a college basketball game. Not only was he a great coach he was an even better person and teacher off the court. Mr. Wooden will be missed.
I never was a fan but you had to respect him. Prayers to his family.
I hate that Wooden died, and I offer condolences to the family, but his championships...

Ah, Ill save it for another thread, lol..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
FoOtBaLl FrEaK 8-0 Wrote:WITHOUT A DOUBT THE GREATEST COLLEGE COACH OF ALL TIME. Possibly of any sport. No one can ever match all his accomplishments. Prayers to the family, they lost a great man. But 99 is a pretty long, and obviously fulfilling, life.

:Thumbs:
So sad to hear but when looking at his life he was one of the most amazing men, coaches and people to ever grace the sports landscape. 99 years at death just goes to show how much of a blessed life he lead and how he kept his mind sharp and body in shape. He is a shining example for his coaching prowess and even his life. God bless you John Wooden.
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I can't stand UCLA, I have huge respect for Coach Wooden. The man retired 35 years ago and still a major influence to many coaches. It's hard to believe that he got his start in coaching here in Kentucky at Dayton High School, which is the place that he had his only losing season in coaching.
Okay, I cant stand it anymore. John Wooden was the John Calipari of his day. Wooden turned a blind eye while Sam Gilbert, a big UCLA booster, bought his players cars, discounted loans, paid off loans, gave them money, as well as many other things. Like it or not, John Wooden was a dirty ol cheater, just like the rest of 'em. Yeah Ive heard what a great ambassador he was to the game, what a great person he was, what a wonderful presence he was for the game, but the truth is the truth, he was dirty. Now, dont get me wrong, I dont care one bit that he cheated, I'd do the same thing if I knew someone was paying the best recruits in the nation to come to my school, but he was what he was, and while everyone is giving him the "Oh he was just the greatest role model" garbage, they should point out that for 15 years his program and its people involved just cheated better than everyone else.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wooden taught his players not only to succeed on the court, but how to succeed in life off the court. Wooden won with dignity and class.
he was a great coach
^ and a great mentor on and off the field
He reminds me alot of a man that coaches around here named Phillip Haywood. They both teach lessons with their sports, and even if you hate their teams you can't help but admire them. Mr. Wooden was a man that you will rarely ever hear anyone say a bad thing about. He will be missed.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Okay, I cant stand it anymore. John Wooden was the John Calipari of his day. Wooden turned a blind eye while Sam Gilbert, a big UCLA booster, bought his players cars, discounted loans, paid off loans, gave them money, as well as many other things. Like it or not, John Wooden was a dirty ol cheater, just like the rest of 'em. Yeah Ive heard what a great ambassador he was to the game, what a great person he was, what a wonderful presence he was for the game, but the truth is the truth, he was dirty. Now, dont get me wrong, I dont care one bit that he cheated, I'd do the same thing if I knew someone was paying the best recruits in the nation to come to my school, but he was what he was, and while everyone is giving him the "Oh he was just the greatest role model" garbage, they should point out that for 15 years his program and its people involved just cheated better than everyone else.

Wow We Agree on Almost Something. Dont know why he cal has to be john wooden but. Bruins eviscerated the rule book like no program before or after, but went largely unpunished by a NCAA that wanted no part of taking down its marquee team. While Sam Gilbert, a Los Angeles contractor the feds allege made millions laundering drug money, bought a decade worth of recruits for UCLA.
I know this much....Guys like Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe would have NEVER started on a Wooden team. Back in Wooden's day, Freshmen were ineligible for varsity play. One can only imagine what Lew Alcinder would have done if he had played all 4 years of college.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:I know this much....Guys like Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe would have NEVER started on a Wooden team. Back in Wooden's day, Freshmen were ineligible for varsity play. One can only imagine what Lew Alcinder would have done if he had played all 4 years of college.

It's not that hard to imagine...He would have won one more championship and scored another 7 or 8 hundred points!:yawn:
And to think that he got his start at little Dayton High School.
John Wooden IS the example of how a coach should lead his team. A man of faith, integirty, hardworking, humble, and a knowledge of the game. Even though the only time he beat UK was in the 75 national championship I still admire him.
RIP Coach Wooden Your Greatly Missed
I always admired John Wooden as the best coach in college basketball. Even better than Rupp.
A man with a lot of class and character. A good Christian.
I remember he wouldn't let his players dunk(would be unheard of now, if he coached today he might allow it)
.But just look at record
10 NCAA titles in 13 years.
Most Finals appearance, Most championships,88 game winning streak,.
He had 10 titles. Next on the list are Rupp and Kryzewski with 4.
He has 12 Finals appearacnes. Kryzewski and Dean Smith have 11,Roy Williams 7,Denny Crum and Tom Izzo plus Rupp had 5.
9 consecutive Final Fours from 1967-75. Next on list is Kryzewski with 5 from 1988-92.
4 undefeated seasons,3 seasons with 1 loss and 2 seasons with 2 losses
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:I know this much....Guys like Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe would have NEVER started on a Wooden team. Back in Wooden's day, Freshmen were ineligible for varsity play. One can only imagine what Lew Alcinder would have done if he had played all 4 years of college.

That was an NCAA rule. Can you imagine what Dan Issel would have done if he had played four years of varsity basketball?