Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Police Say KY Man Is Ebay Scam Artist
(This is why I dont do anything on Ebay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

It's the most used online auction site in the world... but not everyone selling items has honest intentions. Tonight, police say a Kentucky man is proving that point.
Whether its pencils or Post-its..diamonds or denalis.. you can buy it on eBay.

People from all over the world sell on ebay..like Thomas Powell of Maysville, Kentucky.

"He was selling high end items..musical instruments..rolex watches," said Detective Ken Fuller with the Maysville Police Department.

Police also say he was getting paid thousands for them..for items he never had.

"He was basically getting the money and then never sending out the item," said Detective Fuller.

Police say he conned at least 4 people out of nearly $10,000. Investigators say he even went to great lengths to mislead buyers that he was legit.

"He made up a fake store..with a fake address that doesn't exist," said Fuller.

Fuller says he lived in federal housing, drives a taxi, and that he isn't wealthy at all.

Police tell 27 NEWSFIRST Powell was wiring the money from sales to people across the globe and is a smaller part in a larger scam.

Police were tipped off to Powell earlier this month when someone he's accused of scamming in Florida called.

Police arrested Powell Tuesday and he faces felony charges which could keep him in prison for several years.
I wonder what he was selling
"He was selling high end items..musical instruments..rolex watches," said Detective Ken Fuller with the Maysville Police Department.

This sucks. I have seen people get conned over ebay a few times. My cousin bid on some leather jackets and never got them but she eventually got her money back. Things like that happen all to often so you have to be careful with it. Keep all emails, checks, money orders, things like that as proof and you do have a case against them very easily when they don't send something to you.
Yup I had that happen to me. I ordered my son a cell phone and it took me 2.5 months to finally get my money back. But after many years of dealing on Ebay that was the first time anything like that has happened to me.
That same cousin has got so many great transactions on ebay as well after that. My mom has ordered a few things from there. I've ordered some books and such. I like the site as a whole, there are people that will try to scam you everywhere in the world so this isn't much different.
thetribe Wrote:That same cousin has got so many great transactions on ebay as well after that. My mom has ordered a few things from there. I've ordered some books and such. I like the site as a whole, there are people that will try to scam you everywhere in the world so this isn't much different.

Yep it's actually easier to do on the internet. The only things that you have to go on is their word and your gut feeling. So far I have been pretty lucky.
Same here.

No one has screwed me over yet and the first one who does will get it. I won't just be like "Oh, it was only $10."
He should have known better. I mean wasn't there like something on this at the begining of this year. Police caught a lot of people conning other people on Ebay.

But sometimes I guess you think you will never get caught, right.
Lots of people like to hide behind computers.
Thats true
I have been lucky on Ebay so far. We have bought some high end items like moterbikes, jewelry, stereos and such. But before we bid on anything that cost any amount of money at all, we check feedback. Usually, or at least in our account, if a seller has 800-900 positive feedbacks, then usually they can be trusted. I wont by from someone if they have more or even the same amount of negitive as positive feedback.
Agreed BasketBall. I've done the same thing. Check their feedback percentage and reading positive AND negative comments will aid in the decision to trust the store or person.
i know a couple of guys who did that. and they got caught too.
really?
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I have been lucky on Ebay so far. We have bought some high end items like moterbikes, jewelry, stereos and such. But before we bid on anything that cost any amount of money at all, we check feedback. Usually, or at least in our account, if a seller has 800-900 positive feedbacks, then usually they can be trusted. I wont by from someone if they have more or even the same amount of negitive as positive feedback.

I agree, I won't bid on anything unless the seller has sold a lot of items and has a good feedback rating.
Doc Holliday Wrote:really?
yes and you know them too.
I sold a guy a cell phone on there and made him sign for the package and everything. Well I had is AIM username and added him. He tolod Ebay that I sent him the box but not the phone and wanted his money back so they done an investigation. I got online and asked him why he lied and he said because he didn't want the phone and all this stuff, well I saved the conversation and sent it to Ebay along with the mail receipt thingy. Of course I won the case because of the conversation I had with him admitting that he lied and was using the cell phone!
BallaBaby Wrote:I sold a guy a cell phone on there and made him sign for the package and everything. Well I had is AIM username and added him. He tolod Ebay that I sent him the box but not the phone and wanted his money back so they done an investigation. I got online and asked him why he lied and he said because he didn't want the phone and all this stuff, well I saved the conversation and sent it to Ebay along with the mail receipt thingy. Of course I won the case because of the conversation I had with him admitting that he lied and was using the cell phone!
uhmm I dont think that was you!! More like me
Basketballer Wrote:uhmm I dont think that was you!! More like me

Ummm actually MY bank acccount, MY username so I'd say its more like meConfusedhh:
lol.My ebay account and your paypal and my AOL that he was talking on.I was the one that talked to paypal and called and had the proof that it was mailed....But your right it was ALL you...lol
It was my ebay account and I have slips here too. You werent even smart enough to send them the conversation until I told you. But I have better things to do than argue about who done it, just to make you happy we'll say it was you...lol...sorry guys I guess I made it all up or something..lol
Thank You