Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ken Griffey Jr. RETIRES
Breaking news from ESPN!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
One of the greatest EVER!
Without injury he would of had monster stats. But still 630 homers isnt bad in 22 seasons.
csabo17 Wrote:Without injury he would of had monster stats. But still 630 homers isnt bad in 22 seasons.

Not bad gave him 5th on the all-time list! Big Grin
Hate to see him go, But he is Hall Of Fame Bound!!!
Not only Hall bound but first ballot induction and SHOULD be a unanimous pick. He has be a rarity in the Age of Juice. I wished he would have waited and announced when the Reds went to Seattle this year
^ He will not be a unanimous. Unfortunately, the Baseball writers never give anyone a unanimous induction. Many are already on record of saying he was great but his last 10 years he was less than average. When you look at his career in total, you have to say he had the greatest 10 year stretch in baseball history, but the last 10 years were less than average and duly so. Had he taken Steroids and stayed ealthy like the rest in his generation, he would have put records so far out of reach that we would never be looking anyone to challenge in our lifetime.
^Thats exactly why I dont put a lot of faith in the so called "baseball writers". If Junior isnt a first ballot HOF'er then nobody in baseball is. In my childhood-young adult years, Ken Griffey was our Willie Mays.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Posted an .847 OPS and makes an All-Star roster at age 20? Who strikes out only 81 times in 666 plate appearances just three years out of high school? Griffey spent a chunk of his career playing in the shadows of the game’s steroid-using sluggers and didn’t cry for attention.

Greatest Player I Ever Seen.
I believe that people will respect Griffey Jr. more if MLB cleans house with these juicers. If people like Alex Rodriguez, Mark McGuire, Miguel Tejada (has done NOTHING since being caught) and Rafael Palmero (I actually liked him, I know it is sad) are kept out of the Hall-of-Fame, the players like Ken Griffey Jr, Frank Thomas, Mark Grace and others will be more respected.

I am not necessarily saying they should be banned but IF they are kept out people will remember those guys more. That would be an interesting discussion for another thread. Big Grin
Jr. is one of, if not, my favorite all time player. He was always class. I wish he would have been healthy while in Cincy but crap happens. Was great getting to watch him play.
Stardust Wrote:^ He will not be a unanimous. Unfortunately, the Baseball writers never give anyone a unanimous induction. Many are already on record of saying he was great but his last 10 years he was less than average. When you look at his career in total, you have to say he had the greatest 10 year stretch in baseball history, but the last 10 years were less than average and duly so. Had he taken Steroids and stayed ealthy like the rest in his generation, he would have put records so far out of reach that we would never be looking anyone to challenge in our lifetime.
I know the Baseball writers are as stuffy as the days are long but think about this: Here in a few years the HOF committee will be hard pressed to find someone (Anyone) from this era without tainted numbers to put in the Hall. Unfortaunately they will be hard pressed to find anyone who fits that criteria with one exception: Jr Griffey. They will and should champion him as someone who did it the right way.
Great player. Too bad he had so many injuries over his career.
But he stated he wanted his numbers to be real and not from steroids and didn't want to have kids think cheating is okay.
I loved watching him play for Reds.