Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chandler Shepherd's ONE inning
I think before everyone continues to rant on and on about him throwing ONE inning in a meaningless game and how stupid it was, I'll throw out some FACTS. Chandler has been released by Dr. Kremchek to throw 50-60 pitches per week. The Doctor-not his coach, not his parents. He has been throwing 60-90 pitches per week in his rehab with 50% of that being to live batters. It was felt it was okay for him to throw that ONE inning to get the feel of a game situation back in system. For God sake people, he threw 20 pitches!!!! You guys act like he threw a full game. And since you say this was a "meaningless game", it was prime opportunity for him to do that. He threw 19 fastballs and one change up-which was exactly what Dr. kremchek said for him to do. Are we gonna debate all summer when he throws the 50-60 pitches in a game??? He has to work his way back and you cant do that in a bullpen????
I REFUSE to hear any negative comments about Travis and greed etc. That man has been with Chandler EVERY single day since his surgery and has supervised every step of his therapy. He even went to the Dr. visit with chandler and his Dad. Coach Feltner would never ever put chandler in harms way and I am insulted that anyone would question that.
Lastly, give the kid a break. He is a smart kid. He knows what he can and can't do. He is doing what he was told-BY HIS SURGEON.
I couldnt agree more with you.. He has to get his feet wet and like you said he cant get it in the bullpen. I am so proud of Chan he battled alot of things in that one inning and never gave up and did what he was suppose to do.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
Dawg,

I just dont want him to be a tragedy. I know full well Scott Little was released by Kremchek also, my point is dont let him be rushed in any way by any body even himself. He has too much to lose. If this offends you or anyone I am sorry.
I have two kids at CCHS that had Tommy John surgery from Kremchek. One is doing OK. This is a tough, tough decision. I don't envy the young man or his family as the battle back from this. Good luck, my thoughts and prayers.
Thank you Stardust.......

No offense was taken Commanche. We all know there are pros and cons to every situation. I don't feel it was "excruciating to watch" as someone said but we all know it takes time to get back to where he was-nobody knows that better than him. Now that he has that game situation inning behind him, he knows what he has to do to get back and that is work work work. I don't look for another game situation for him this post season but a summer of dedication and hard work is ahead of him.

Thank to all for the well wishes.....
I just hope the kid doesnt end up hurt for good. He is an amazing athelete and we all want him to succeed.
Dawg@heart Wrote:Thank you Stardust.......

No offense was taken Commanche. We all know there are pros and cons to every situation. I don't feel it was "excruciating to watch" as someone said but we all know it takes time to get back to where he was-nobody knows that better than him. Now that he has that game situation inning behind him, he knows what he has to do to get back and that is work work work. I don't look for another game situation for him this post season but a summer of dedication and hard work is ahead of him.

:Thumbs:
Dawg@heart Wrote:I think before everyone continues to rant on and on about him throwing ONE inning in a meaningless game and how stupid it was, I'll throw out some FACTS. Chandler has been released by Dr. Kremchek to throw 50-60 pitches per week. The Doctor-not his coach, not his parents. He has been throwing 60-90 pitches per week in his rehab with 50% of that being to live batters. It was felt it was okay for him to throw that ONE inning to get the feel of a game situation back in system. For God sake people, he threw 20 pitches!!!! You guys act like he threw a full game. And since you say this was a "meaningless game", it was prime opportunity for him to do that. He threw 19 fastballs and one change up-which was exactly what Dr. kremchek said for him to do. Are we gonna debate all summer when he throws the 50-60 pitches in a game??? He has to work his way back and you cant do that in a bullpen????
I REFUSE to hear any negative comments about Travis and greed etc. That man has been with Chandler EVERY single day since his surgery and has supervised every step of his therapy. He even went to the Dr. visit with chandler and his Dad. Coach Feltner would never ever put chandler in harms way and I am insulted that anyone would question that.
Lastly, give the kid a break. He is a smart kid. He knows what he can and can't do. He is doing what he was told-BY HIS SURGEON.

I am just wondering when he had his surgery. My son had Tommy John May 6th
dd734 Wrote:I am just wondering when he had his surgery. My son had Tommy John May 6th

I think it was July last year.
Commanche Wrote:I think it was July last year.

dd734 Wrote:I am just wondering when he had his surgery. My son had Tommy John May 6th

Kremchek told us that my son should be able to start tossing in September, throwing in October or November. Pitching as early as late December but for sure by late January. That being said, he had no other issues. No scar tissue from long term minor tears. Excellent graft. No nerve Damage. He is as well about three weeks ahead of projected mobility in his theropy. Kremchek also was able to do a full 8 loop repair on my son. :Clap:
Stardust Wrote:I have two kids at CCHS that had Tommy John surgery from Kremchek. One is doing OK. This is a tough, tough decision. I don't envy the young man or his family as the battle back from this. Good luck, my thoughts and prayers.

My son is a Campbell County player that Kremchek did.
Dawg@heart Wrote:Thank you Stardust.......

My son has this to go through as well, from what I have learned from several people. The hardest thing to overcome after your healed, is the mental part. Learning to trust your elbow again and let it go. Much harder to do than most would think.
I think what people need to understand is this is not just any other average mediocre high school player. If he comes back 100% he has a shot to get paid to play this game. I think that is why everyone is saying that he needs to be extra extra careful with how he approaches things, and especially why the inning was pointless.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I think what people need to understand is this is not just any other average mediocre high school player. If he comes back 100% he has a shot to get paid to play this game. I think that is why everyone is saying that he needs to be extra extra careful with how he approaches things, and especially why the inning was pointless.

My sentiments exactly. This is exactly what I have meant in my post previously.
so when his doctor clears him to pitch in games, and advises him to pitch this summer, he should still be held out to just throw in bullpen sessions? what about the doctor clearing him to play outfield? wouldn't that potentially damage his arm? my point is that he is medically cleared to play ball with a few limitations. i believe that he threw ZERO curve balls in that one inning and only threw about 20 pitches (I heard he is supposed to throw 40-50 pitches in summer games this year). so why is this a problem for you folks? was he told to go out there and strike out everyone and throw as hard as he can? or was he told to go out there and pitch and get back on the saddle again? i don't know, and neither do you all. what i do know is that there is no way these coaches would have put him out there if it could potentially cause a setback.
dawgeers Wrote:so when his doctor clears him to pitch in games, and advises him to pitch this summer, he should still be held out to just throw in bullpen sessions? what about the doctor clearing him to play outfield? wouldn't that potentially damage his arm? my point is that he is medically cleared to play ball with a few limitations. i believe that he threw ZERO curve balls in that one inning and only threw about 20 pitches (I heard he is supposed to throw 40-50 pitches in summer games this year). so why is this a problem for you folks? was he told to go out there and strike out everyone and throw as hard as he can? or was he told to go out there and pitch and get back on the saddle again? i don't know, and neither do you all. what i do know is that there is no way these coaches would have put him out there if it could potentially cause a setback.

I dont like him playing outfield either, he could unleash a throw with his arm being tight and do more damage than pitching.

All I am saying is take it easy and err on the side of caution. Get mad but Chandler is the best player I have seen play in the 15th region in many years if not ever. There is no reason to rush or let him rush himself is all people are saying. Nobody said dont ever pitch again.
Commanche Wrote:I dont like him playing outfield either, he could unleash a throw with his arm being tight and do more damage than pitching.

All I am saying is take it easy and err on the side of caution. Get mad but Chandler is the best player I have seen play in the 15th region in many years if not ever. There is no reason to rush or let him rush himself is all people are saying. Nobody said dont ever pitch again.

I hope everybody understands, and I think you'll agree, we want nothing more than for him to move on to the next level and represent eastern Kentucky in a positive way. Nobody is against him getting back to pitching at 100%. That's what we want, but extreme caution should be used due to his future. Maybe if more caution was used at certain times in Chandler's high school career this never wouldve happened, but nothing can be done about that now. Regardless, I hope Chandler knows and understands the entire region is behind him!!!
Thanks to all.....I do believe that he knows everyone is behind him for the most part!!
you gotta be happy for the kid.