Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holmes hires Jason Booher
Aslan Wrote:Holmes will force a lot of turnovers and score a ton of points with the athletes that they have. I hope Booher does well.

When I went up to Holmes to vote today, I saw the new coach with his wife and kids. Holmes AD Madrick was giving them a tour of the campus. I think Holmes' fans definitely will welcome a more open style of play, and Mr. Booher certainly has the credentials for the job. However, if Holmes is to be successful when the 9th Region tournament rolls around, his team also better know how to win those 42-40 slowdown games. That's what really separated Henley from previous Holmes coaches. He knew how to win those games. He essentially sent a message to Dixie, Boone, Holy Cross, CovCath: Go ahead and play slowdown against us. We'll beat you at your own game ... and he did.
jalfzou Wrote:When I went up to Holmes to vote today, I saw the new coach with his wife and kids. Holmes AD Madrick was giving them a tour of the campus. I think Holmes' fans definitely will welcome a more open style of play, and Mr. Booher certainly has the credentials for the job. However, if Holmes is to be successful when the 9th Region tournament rolls around, his team also better know how to win those 42-40 slowdown games. That's what really separated Henley from previous Holmes coaches. He knew how to win those games. He essentially sent a message to Dixie, Boone, Holy Cross, CovCath: Go ahead and play slowdown against us. We'll beat you at your own game ... and he did.

Booher has shown with Valley that they're able to win those games in the 40's and 50's as well. I'm not too worried about teams like Dixie, Boone, HC, Covcath, and now Brossart (with the drop to DII) trying to slow the game down.

Booher's up tempo pressing defense will force those teams to play at a pace they aren't used to. Henley had success saving that style for the post season this past season. With Holmes being guard oriented and very deep, they'll have no problem putting points on the board..
kywldcat01 Wrote:Booher has shown with Valley that they're able to win those games in the 40's and 50's as well. I'm not too worried about teams like Dixie, Boone, HC, Covcath, and now Brossart (with the drop to DII) trying to slow the game down.

Booher's up tempo pressing defense will force those teams to play at a pace they aren't used to. Henley had success saving that style for the post season this past season. With Holmes being guard oriented and very deep, they'll have no problem putting points on the board..

Agreed.

Should be safe to say that Holmes fans can forget about the days of scoring 30/40/50 points in a game, because in some cases you'll be scoring those numbers in the first half.

I'll give it a few years before Holmes becomes a state championship caliber team though, but you never know.
I look for him to coach 2-3 years at the most then be looking for a college job somewhere
I don't mean to sound like spoilsport, but I hate to see coaches jump from job to job and always inherit talent. Like Phil Jackson with the Lakers. When has he ever had to coach a team with little talent? Doc Rivers has. He has taught a lot of his players how to play the game. No knock on Booher, but he went to a team that Greg and Robert built, and when the top talent is gone, so is he. What about showing you can build a program back up? Maybe it's me, but in cases like that, I just don't see how a person can claim all the success. Most of the time, the success should go to those who preceded them. In this case, my hat is off to Greg and Robert. You guys spent more time, money, and gave more to the success to that team than anyone. And they no doubt learned from a good one, Bobby Osborne.
Congrats Coach! Good move considering your starting 5 are seniors and you are losing one of the states best players. :Thumbs:
Shady Grady Wrote:I don't mean to sound like spoilsport, but I hate to see coaches jump from job to job and always inherit talent. Like Phil Jackson with the Lakers. When has he ever had to coach a team with little talent? Doc Rivers has. He has taught a lot of his players how to play the game. No knock on Booher, but he went to a team that Greg and Robert built, and when the top talent is gone, so is he. What about showing you can build a program back up? Maybe it's me, but in cases like that, I just don't see how a person can claim all the success. Most of the time, the success should go to those who preceded them. In this case, my hat is off to Greg and Robert. You guys spent more time, money, and gave more to the success to that team than anyone. And they no doubt learned from a good one, Bobby Osborne.

Agreed! Most coaches do well with talent, its the ones who win with less talent that impress me. Coach Booher did a good job of keeping team chemistry and not screwing up what Robert and Greg had done. I watch other coaches do just that when handed teams with talent. The coach wants to put his own stamp on the team and usually screws it up.

Congrats Booher!
Congratulations to Coach Booher, I only wished that he was hired at the new high school in Shelby County.....He was an excellent candidate and will do great things up in Covington...
This is a great hire for Holmes.
Hear he may already be raising a few eyebrows in Covington...not sure he is ready for what he is getting into.

Holmes doesn't know a thing about him except he won the state title. He's quoted in the paper talking about his brand of bball and how "they get after it in Eastern KY"

He's gonna get a rude awakening in the 9th region. 15th region teams play no defense.

I'm predicting a train wreck.
raviknows Wrote:Hear he may already be raising a few eyebrows in Covington...not sure he is ready for what he is getting into.

Holmes doesn't know a thing about him except he won the state title. He's quoted in the paper talking about his brand of bball and how "they get after it in Eastern KY"

He's gonna get a rude awakening in the 9th region. 15th region teams play no defense.

And who are you hearing this from? I'm hearing the same thing but on a positive note.

As far as Holmes not knowing a thing about him..wrong again. Every coach who interviewed for the job was given a throrough background check before even being considered for an interview.

His system will go hand in hand with Holmes personnel over the next few years. Only time will tell.

Let's not forget Henley started his career at Holmes 0-6 but ended up winning the district championship and losing in the 9th region semi's his first year. I'm confident Booher will do just fine at Holmes as long as Bud Wimzie is on the bench with him.
raviknows Wrote:Hear he may already be raising a few eyebrows in Covington...not sure he is ready for what he is getting into.

You may want to come watch a few games in the 15th before you form your opinions about defense in the 15th. Seems like Shelby Valley's 15th region defense worked out okay for them this year !

I think Holmes would of hired someone with knowing more than that he only won a state championship...Coach Booher and Coach Henley coach a team the same way...they have the same assts and they expect to do big things this year

BTW 15th region was home to the all-time state leader in steals aka EJ and im from the 9th and know that they play D and he has no rude awakening in his near future
I hate to bust anyones bubble but Holmes came real close to getting beat by Gallatin County at the Simon Kenton summer camp on Wednesday night. Gallatin had only 6 kids there while Holmes had 14. Booher was crying about all kinds of calls. Gallatin was ahead by as much as 12 points at one time and led most of the game.If they would have had a couple more kids to sub they could have beaten Holmes I think. Final score was Holmes 92, Gallatin Co 86 in Overtime. I do believe this is going to be a very fun upcoming year!!
I have seen plenty of 15th region basketball 1st hand and they play NO defense...Shelby Valley got a lucky draw, and he happended to have size and a PG built like a frickin' Defensive Back. Elisha is good, really good. I love the kid personally, but all-time steals leader means nothing to me when I know the quality of competition he played night in and night out.

Holmes has lost to SK in the SK team camp and now they lost to Cooper last night in a scrimmage. I know it is summer basketball, but it does raise concern for Bulldog faithful, especially when coach booher didn't even show up last night.

Another reason Justice is the all-time steals leader is b/c Booher plays a 2-2-1 press back into a 2-3 zone where the guards are taught to reach and gamble. It is a gimmick defense. It will not work against solid 9th region teams. Lucky for Booher the 9th is waaaayyyy down talent wise this year and it is essentially a toss up.

But for those of you who thinks he is in control of the program right now, think again. The fans (as shown last night) still wanted Sullivan and will voice that opinion and Cooper going in there to beat the Dogs last night only adds fuel to the fire. At the SK team camp while Holmes players are goofing off in warmups, Booher is under the basket watching, but the call down to the kids has to come from the stands and Coach Wimzie. I know for a fact that Sullivan wouldn't put up with that garbage. The Holmes kids had to be told 4-5 times to stay off the rims.

Booher will have a long way to go to reign this group in. He just better stop whining to officials this summer and coach his team (the Gallatin fan is spot on)

Good thing he is making his schedule Shelby Valley-esque with Holmes dropping to a lower classification.
You guys do realize we're talking about summer ball right?

Let's wait til the regular season starts before we start proclaiming Holmes being in trouble and Booher doesn't know what he's doing. These are the same things that were said about Henley when he came in and Wimzie didn't get the job.

Last I checked, things turned out ok for all parties involved.
raviknows Wrote:I have seen plenty of 15th region basketball 1st hand and they play NO defense...Shelby Valley got a lucky draw, and he happended to have size and a PG built like a frickin' Defensive Back. Elisha is good, really good. I love the kid personally, but all-time steals leader means nothing to me when I know the quality of competition he played night in and night out.

Holmes has lost to SK in the SK team camp and now they lost to Cooper last night in a scrimmage. I know it is summer basketball, but it does raise concern for Bulldog faithful, especially when coach booher didn't even show up last night.

Another reason Justice is the all-time steals leader is b/c Booher plays a 2-2-1 press back into a 2-3 zone where the guards are taught to reach and gamble. It is a gimmick defense. It will not work against solid 9th region teams. Lucky for Booher the 9th is waaaayyyy down talent wise this year and it is essentially a toss up.

But for those of you who thinks he is in control of the program right now, think again. The fans (as shown last night) still wanted Sullivan and will voice that opinion and Cooper going in there to beat the Dogs last night only adds fuel to the fire. At the SK team camp while Holmes players are goofing off in warmups, Booher is under the basket watching, but the call down to the kids has to come from the stands and Coach Wimzie. I know for a fact that Sullivan wouldn't put up with that garbage. The Holmes kids had to be told 4-5 times to stay off the rims.

Booher will have a long way to go to reign this group in. He just better stop whining to officials this summer and coach his team (the Gallatin fan is spot on)

Good thing he is making his schedule Shelby Valley-esque with Holmes dropping to a lower classification.

Maybe that had something to do with him being an assistant coach for the KY-IN All Star game and they had a game tonight and the other tomorrow night? I'm just guessing, but it seems pretty obvious why he wasn't there. He has two former players, one of 5 years and the other of 4 playing in that game, his priorities were in the right place not being there for Holmes in a summer game.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Maybe that had something to do with him being an assistant coach for the KY-IN All Star game and they had a game tonight and the other tomorrow night? I'm just guessing, but it seems pretty obvious why he wasn't there. He has two former players, one of 5 years and the other of 4 playing in that game, his priorities were in the right place not being there for Holmes in a summer game.

I agree.

The KY=IN All Star game is a much bigger deal than a summer game. Coach Wimzie has been around long enough along with Stubblefield and Hall, that they're capable of coaching a team in what basically is a pick up game.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I agree.

That may be the first time you've ever said that to PC_You_Know...
The King Wrote:That may be the first time you've ever said that to PC_You_Know...

No, there was another time when PC admitted that he was wrong about something and KYW was the first to reply that he agreed with him......:biggrin:
The King Wrote:That may be the first time you've ever said that to PC_You_Know...

We've got a lovefest going on now it seems... :biggrin:
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:We've got a lovefest going on now it seems... :biggrin:

kywildcat finally got a little bit of EKY in his veins and now he's coming to his senses.
gcbballdad Wrote:I hate to bust anyones bubble but Holmes came real close to getting beat by Gallatin County at the Simon Kenton summer camp on Wednesday night. Gallatin had only 6 kids there while Holmes had 14. Booher was crying about all kinds of calls. Gallatin was ahead by as much as 12 points at one time and led most of the game.If they would have had a couple more kids to sub they could have beaten Holmes I think. Final score was Holmes 92, Gallatin Co 86 in Overtime. I do believe this is going to be a very fun upcoming year!!

Summer ball means absolutely nothing. Many of the players are traveling with their AAU teams so I hardly doubt Holmes had their full compliment of players. Wait until the real season rolls around before any judgement is handed out.
Have been extremely busy with work lately and travelling....can anyone tell me how Holmes has looked recently during summer ball?

Haven't had the opportunity to see them.
Heard from a few of the Holmes players that they have a new player this year.

6'4 JR G/F Manny Nelson

I believe he was originally at a school in Cincy and is the younger brother of former Holmes player Josh Nelson, who was apart of Holmes' 2008 State Runner Up team.

From what I hear, Nelson is quite the athlete, just like his brother and he will be able to come in and make an immediate impact.

With him coming in, I'd expect Holmes' lineup to look something like this:

6'1 Chris Hayes
6'2 Jaleel Gray
6'4 Manny Nelson
6'5 Dontel Rice
6'6 Kevon Rice

That is a VERY athletic group. With Booher letting those guys run and press, they are going to put some serious points on the board.
Congrats coach booher and good luck
BaseballIsLife Wrote:Summer ball means absolutely nothing. Many of the players are traveling with their AAU teams so I hardly doubt Holmes had their full compliment of players. Wait until the real season rolls around before any judgement is handed out.

:popcorn:
BaseballIsLife Wrote:Summer ball means absolutely nothing. Many of the players are traveling with their AAU teams so I hardly doubt Holmes had their full compliment of players. Wait until the real season rolls around before any judgement is handed out.

Agreed. I've seen some of these games and my alma-mater has competed in them as well. Not much more than street ball going on and teams that are not all that good are competing with the traditionally power teams that they will get pounded on during the season.