Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
16th Region 2010/11
Elliott the early favorite with Mr. Knipp?
Fred Sanford Wrote:Elliott the early favorite with Mr. Knipp?

I think they probably are. He will be head and shoulders better than anyone returning and his supporting cast will be good enough to help him.
Ison is the key for Elliott Co. Only loss for them is Faulkner. They will be the favorites.

1. Elliott Co. - return the states top scorer.
2. Greenup Co. - return the land of the giants. (coaching issues aside)
3. Rowan Co. - finished strong and return Wing, top 5 player.
4. Ashland - Only significant loss is Skaggs, but very significant.
5. West Carter - return Rayburn and soph Kyle Brown.

Am I leaving someone out?

Here are my issues with the rest:
Bath Co. - lose Maze and others
Rose Hill - they having a squad?
Boyd Co. - who knows whose coaching?
Lewis Co. - will Terrence Smith get another year and be able to play?
Morgan Co. - not sure what they have returning, but suspect core
Russell - struggled down the stretch badly, and are young
Fairview - lose everyone exept Terry
East Carter - graduation will put them in the middle of pack at best
Menifee Co. - lost twins to graduation, will struggle
Raceland - graduate 2 starters, will be middle to bottom
Fleming Co. - graduation will deplete them.
Wow. No one has a comment to tell me I'm crazy? Are there no other folks in the region who have an opinion? Or is it the fact that this should be called SEKentuckyRivals?:igiveup:
OU812 Wrote:Ison is the key for Elliott Co. Only loss for them is Faulkner. They will be the favorites.

Don't be offended by this but looking at your post it seems you sort of get the tape measure out and who ever has the tallest lineup gets to be the favorite. When Elliott nearly won the state championship last year, they rarely had the height advantage on their opponent but, they really knew how to get position, boxed out well and they played to their strengths. Therefore I would adjust your list as follows:

1. Elliott- hard to argue with
2. Ashland-Skaggs will be missed but so was Bonner
3. Rowan County-no transition issues to deal with as you mentioned
4. Greenup-you're affore mentioned coaching issues (no small hill to climb)
5. West-agree

The rest of your codjutations were flawless IMHO :worthy:
Hey, gapman, good to see someone else has an opinion.:Thumbs:
Well, as for Ashland, and I know you're a fan of the Tomcats, I'll say that Bonner was somewhat replaced by Corey Gregg. Perhaps not up to that same standard, but much closer than anyone will fill the shoes of the departed Will Skaggs IMO. He ran the show, was the coach on the floor even over Buddy screaming. He got people involved, got good looks for Delaney and others. He pushed the ball up the floor to guys like Whetsel and Withrow running the break. I've watched alot of basketball, including all of the AIT and in my humble opinion, no one (with the possible exception of East/Barnhill) in the region will miss one player as bad as Ashland will miss Skaggs. And I see no one on the bench or in the wings who will be able to take his place ala' Gregg/Bonner.

I think you underestimate Greenup. Another year older and still just as long. And frankly, the coaching situation will make or break this team. It could go in the direction of a new coach like Randy Ward. And if that's the case, with that length and with his style, I'll go out on a limb and predict the regional crown will be parked in Lloyd.

gapman, any thoughts on that?
OU812 Wrote:Hey, gapman, good to see someone else has an opinion.:Thumbs:
Well, as for Ashland, and I know you're a fan of the Tomcats, I'll say that Bonner was somewhat replaced by Corey Gregg. Perhaps not up to that same standard, but much closer than anyone will fill the shoes of the departed Will Skaggs IMO. He ran the show, was the coach on the floor even over Buddy screaming. He got people involved, got good looks for Delaney and others. He pushed the ball up the floor to guys like Whetsel and Withrow running the break. I've watched alot of basketball, including all of the AIT and in my humble opinion, no one (with the possible exception of East/Barnhill) in the region will miss one player as bad as Ashland will miss Skaggs. And I see no one on the bench or in the wings who will be able to take his place ala' Gregg/Bonner.

I think you underestimate Greenup. Another year older and still just as long. And frankly, the coaching situation will make or break this team. It could go in the direction of a new coach like Randy Ward. And if that's the case, with that length and with his style, I'll go out on a limb and predict the regional crown will be parked in Lloyd.

gapman, any thoughts on that?

Ashland Will, miss Skaggs, pun intended, as you so adequately have detailed. You can't compare any guards Ashland has to Skaggs. They depended on Bonner IMO his senior year as much as they depended on Skaggs this year was my thought. I think that Gregg is as good as Bonner, but I don't think he is as good right now as Bonner was his senior year. I would say he will be as good or better than Bonner by his senior year, and a noticable improvement can be expected for next season.

I saw Randy Ward at the Greenup game and wondered if he was going to apply for the position at Greenup. I would have to say that he could bring things together for them as quick as anyone could. They definitely have the length and another year under their belt but, it would seem you had inside info about who that coach (Greenup) was to be when you offered your justification for their position on your list. There might be too many Muskies out there on that limb with you right now for any body else to climb out. LOL

So, once all that horsepower graduates from Elliott Co. and Greenup Co. would you then say it might be Ashland's year as Gregg and company will be seniors along with some very capable underclassmen coming up?
gapman Wrote:Ashland Will, miss Skaggs, pun intended, as you so adequately have detailed. You can't compare any guards Ashland has to Skaggs. They depended on Bonner IMO his senior year as much as they depended on Skaggs this year was my thought. I think that Gregg is as good as Bonner, but I don't think he is as good right now as Bonner was his senior year. I would say he will be as good or better than Bonner by his senior year, and a noticable improvement can be expected for next season.

I saw Randy Ward at the Greenup game and wondered if he was going to apply for the position at Greenup. I would have to say that he could bring things together for them as quick as anyone could. They definitely have the length and another year under their belt but, it would seem you had inside info about who that coach (Greenup) was to be when you offered your justification for their position on your list. There might be too many Muskies out there on that limb with you right now for any body else to climb out. LOL

So, once all that horsepower graduates from Elliott Co. and Greenup Co. would you then say it might be Ashland's year as Gregg and company will be seniors along with some very capable underclassmen coming up?
Perhaps. Russell and West Carter has some solid future ahead of them. Fleming has some classes that will be very athletic soon. Who knows? What would be more surprising would be if all these kids stay where they are and if no one else comes in. If the rumor mill is correct, Greenup will have a new point guard soon who will be in a talented junior class next year. You know how this door revolves.:Clap:
OU812 Wrote:Perhaps. Russell and West Carter has some solid future ahead of them. Fleming has some classes that will be very athletic soon. Who knows? What would be more surprising would be if all these kids stay where they are and if no one else comes in. If the rumor mill is correct, Greenup will have a new point guard soon who will be in a talented junior class next year. You know how this door revolves.:Clap:

I guess the secret will be revealed by summer ball.
OU812 Wrote:Ison is the key for Elliott Co. Only loss for them is Faulkner. They will be the favorites.

I know this is slightly off the topic. The coaching situation at Greenup is sad. The kids deserve better than what they are going through. It seems like every 2-3 years Greenup has a new coach in football and basketball. When Ward was at GCHS everyone in the 16th region knew what they were going to get and were highly successful. The kids do not deserve this constant turmoil with their coaches.
I pretty much agree with OU812's rankings of the region next year. Elliott County should be favored with Greenup a close second. With the talent and physical skills that Greenup has, whoever coaches for them should be fired if they lose to anyone in the region other than Elliott County.

This is all, of course, assuming we don't see another rash of transfers. I guess you really can't do effective rankings anymore without waiting until the season actually starts to see where all the free agents are playing.
ryanparker Wrote:I pretty much agree with OU812's rankings of the region next year. Elliott County should be favored with Greenup a close second. With the talent and physical skills that Greenup has, whoever coaches for them should be fired if they lose to anyone in the region other than Elliott County.

This is all, of course, assuming we don't see another rash of transfers. I guess you really can't do effective rankings anymore without waiting until the season actually starts to see where all the free agents are playing.
Well, that's an interesting way of putting it.
Jarons Wrote:I know this is slightly off the topic. The coaching situation at Greenup is sad. The kids deserve better than what they are going through. It seems like every 2-3 years Greenup has a new coach in football and basketball. When Ward was at GCHS everyone in the 16th region knew what they were going to get and were highly successful. The kids do not deserve this constant turmoil with their coaches.
I agree with you about the turmoil. But having been around that place for as long as I have, I'm not sure it will ever change. It really doesn't matter who the coach is. I do agree about the boys having to endure some crap. I thought I had a good idea about what would happen next year, but to be honest, I don't have a cotton-pickin' clue what will happen with the coaching situation next year. If I had to make a prediction, right now I say Tim Fraley returns.
Lewis County's Terrence Smith got the medical redshirt. The lions will be a region contending team next year returning starters Justin McCann and Koty Riley. Also heard of some transfers that are a possibility to LC.
The GC Administration must take a stand and start standing up for their coaches. You may have good team every now and then but you will never have a PROGRAM if you dont keep a coach. Is it coincidence or just fate that the last 3 coaches have been dismissed at Christmas time when a couple of parents get upset over playing time? Once you could blame the coach, twice maybe, three times hahaha I dont think so. No coaching problem at GC its a parent pleasing administration problem.
Hughes, Dunaway and Ailster need to grow a set and stand up for the kids and coaches!
My top 5 teams:

1. Elliott Co. - strong team, Ison will be great next year...expect big things from him.
2. Ashland - strong team, returning some key players.
3. Morgan Co. - dont count MORGAN CO. OUT!!!! young team, but returning a solid core. I do expect Morgan Co. to be better next year..Coach Perry, is a great coach, love him to death, and he will get this team up and rolling very soon!! watch out 16th region!!
4. Rowan Co. - seems to be always a solid team..returning wing, top player.
5. East Carter - gonna be good...and always solid.
Morganfan22 Wrote:My top 5 teams:

1. Elliott Co. - strong team, Ison will be great next year...expect big things from him.
2. Ashland - strong team, returning some key players.
3. Morgan Co. - dont count MORGAN CO. OUT!!!! young team, but returning a solid core. I do expect Morgan Co. to be better next year..Coach Perry, is a great coach, love him to death, and he will get this team up and rolling very soon!! watch out 16th region!!
4. Rowan Co. - seems to be always a solid team..returning wing, top player.
5. East Carter - gonna be good...and always solid.
Wow. Good to see some school pride. I hope Morgan moves up the ranks. They weren't very good this season, hope they improve. As for East, they'll fight with Morgan to stay out of the cellar of their own district. Elliott and West will be the top 2 out of the 62nd.
My top 5:
1) Elliott County- Nobody can guard the state's top scorer, and Ison will be bigger than ever for them down the stretch.
2) Greenup County- return nearly everyone, and i have heard of an in-county transfer maybe coming in.
3) West Carter- Returning Rayburn and Brown will be huge for this team, them and Elliott will battle all year for the top of the district and region.
4) Lewis County- They return Terrence Smith, who would have been hands down the best point guard in the region if it weren't for his accident, and also one of the region's top players in Koty Riley, along with experienced guard Justin McCann.
5) Ashland- Return many playmakers, and it's Ashland, so you know that they'll be tough.
I agree, Morgan will be improved, and i love your school spirit, but to think that they're going to be the third best team in the region!?!? C'mon man!
LClion4life Wrote:My top 5:
1) Elliott County- Nobody can guard the state's top scorer, and Ison will be bigger than ever for them down the stretch.
2) Greenup County- return nearly everyone, and i have heard of an in-county transfer maybe coming in.
3) West Carter- Returning Rayburn and Brown will be huge for this team, them and Elliott will battle all year for the top of the district and region.
4) Lewis County- They return Terrence Smith, who would have been hands down the best point guard in the region if it weren't for his accident, and also one of the region's top players in Koty Riley, along with experienced guard Justin McCann.
5) Ashland- Return many playmakers, and it's Ashland, so you know that they'll be tough.
Just spoke with someone in Lewis Co. who is very close to the basketball program and to his knowledge, Terrence hasn't been granted a redshirt year of eligibility. As a matter of fact they told me that he was fairly sure they haven't even applied for it yet. And I hope for his sake he gets to play again, but I'm not sure he'll be able to play at the same level as he had before. As for the hands down best point guard this season all things aside, I disagree with you on that one. Terrence is very solid, but Skaggs was the cream of the crop, with or without Smith.
Does anyone know what the expectations for Raceland will be next year? What do they have returning, or any talent coming up from JV?
Morgan lost thier three best players off a 4 win team to graduation. I might be wrong but I think they are a few years away.
Jarons Wrote:Does anyone know what the expectations for Raceland will be next year? What do they have returning, or any talent coming up from JV?
Raceland will lose Barker to graduation. They return the Reisner kid and Farley, but rumor has it that their PG will be returning to Greenup. Of course there are eligibility issues, but with the recent display of transfer events in this region, who are we to think someone won't be ruled eligible? Maybe they have a houseboat and can move it down a couple of slips on the Ohio River and get another address.:eyeroll:
Have heard talk of the Terry kid from Fairview leaving. If that is so Fairview will be depleted. Wouldn't suprise me at all to see Boyd Co. back in the region next year. Besides Ashland, the 64th district will be weak.
UKUKUK Wrote:Have heard talk of the Terry kid from Fairview leaving. If that is so Fairview will be depleted. Wouldn't suprise me at all to see Boyd Co. back in the region next year. Besides Ashland, the 64th district will be weak.
Even if he stays, I think with Rose Hill out of the picture, Boyd is better than Fairview. They are barren. So, I would imagine you're right about Terry. He'll end up back in the house he reportedly moved from and playing in either Rock Hill or Ironton I bet. So, with that said, look for the Boyd Co. Lions to be back in the regional tournament.:Clap:
If he is smart he would go back to Ironton they have a great group of freshmen this year that will be sophmores next year. Also Chesepeake will have a good team next year in Ohio.
I think Morgan Co. will be a contender of the region next year! They are in my top 5...but not really sure where i would exactly put them. But I do think they will be in there soon! and next year....could be the year.
Morganfan22 Wrote:I think Morgan Co. will be a contender of the region next year! They are in my top 5...but not really sure where i would exactly put them. But I do think they will be in there soon! and next year....could be the year.

maybe not:flush:
Morgan is definitely not top 5. Mine is Elliott, Greenup, Ashland, West, and Lewis in no order.
Playing against timmy knipp and watching him play is hands down one of the best if not the best player in the state. hes a post player who can step out and hit a 3. blocks alot of shots. great rebounder. hes an outstanding player. and i cant wait to see the numbers he puts up this year.