Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Estill Co. 54 - Owsley Co. 53 (56th District)
Final

Lady Engineers Advance To The District Championship and To The Regonals
Congrats Estill County!
Wow, didn't Owsley handle Estill quite easily the first two meetings?
I counted at least 12 shots that Owsley missed directly under the basket, and most of them uncontested. That's 24 points. You can't miss that many bunnies and win many games.

Estill shot the ball very well tonight. They knocked down enough 3's give them a lead for most of the game.

Owsley finally took a 2 point lead late in the fourth quarter. Estill came down and hit a 14 footer. Owsley went back up 2 again. Estill tied it again. Then Estill was fouled on a made layup to take a 2 point lead. They missed the free throw.

Owsley had a chance to tie it with 8 seconds left in the game, but missed the second of a one and bonus. However Estill knocked the ball out with 4 seconds remaining. Owsley called time out to set up a play. The inbound play was knocked around and the only shot they got was a 25 footer that missed as time ran out.

This is the second year that Estill has beat Owsley in the district after losing twice to them during the regular season.
Not completely up with the 56th District but this has to be an upset. Saw Owsley play during the All A and was real impressed with them then. Good win for Estill!
Wright and Turner posted good numbers and are very good players. I think I heard that Hall had 20 for Estill and Alexander had 12, and made the go ahead basket with twenty or so seconds left. Also, on the radio they were saying that the Harris girl had a double/double in points and rebounds. Considering injuries and the two transfers, what a win for Estill. Great finish to a good game. Congrats Owsley on a great year, winning the 14th All "A." Good luck to Turner and congrats on a terrific career.
Good win for the Engineers!
2/22/2010

Estill Co. 54
Owsley Co. 53

Estill Co.
15 13 16 10 54

Owsley Co. 9 11 14 19 53

56th at Lee Co.

Estill Co. (10-14) -- Hall 20, Alexander 12, Gould 2, Neal 4, Flynn 4, Harris 12.

Owsley Co. (18-8) -- Turner 23, Wright 17, C.Brandenburg 1, Wilson 9, K.Brandenburg 3.

http://www.kentucky.com/2009/12/02/10403...PIorderBy=
Congrats to the Lady Engineers!
Congrats to Estill County. I didnt expect this win, but that is what tournaments are all about. It is hard to defeat a team three times in a season.

Congrats to Owsley County on a great season. Good Luck to Mika Turner.

Good Luck Estill County
Continuing to work hard and not give up-believing in yourself and your Coaches,always
looking for the ray of sunshine instead of the dark clouds Has paid off for Estill Co.
I am so proud of you all.Keep on keeping on.
Coach Green resigned yesterday morning from Coaching Owsley after this big loss. Sure didn't wait too long to think about it.
Wall4president Wrote:Coach Green resigned yesterday morning from Coaching Owsley after this big loss. Sure didn't wait too long to think about it.

y did he resign and who are some candidates????
Strikeout King Wrote:y did he resign and who are some candidates????

Why cant Owsley County keep coaches? Owsley County during the 1980's and early 1990's was one of the top programs in the 14th region. Randall Spencer was coach and won 10 or 11 district titles in that time span. Now after Coach Green left in 2005 they hired Wallace Bates who only coached about two seasons before quitting at mid season. Then Coach Green is hired back and had great success and now he resigns. What is the deal, their boys program has been through several coaches in the last few years also. This may make it hard for Owsley County to find a coach.

Possible Candidates shouldnt go any farther than the next seat down the bench Gary Cornett. Gary has been with the girls program for the last 5 or 6 years and seems to be the only main stay with the program. He is a class act and has a great relationship with the girls on that team but longevity may not be what Owsley County is looking for in a coach.
I watched this game for a nuetral standpoint and I was very impressed with the hustle and spirit shown by the Lady Engineers, they just outplayed Owsley and wanted it more. Good Job ladies
I'm just guessing here about a reason he resigned. Coach Green is also the high school principal, and that job alone is time consuming enough. Maybe it was just too difficult to try to do both jobs.

I hated to see the Owsley girls lose in the way they did, especially with Mika Turner being a senior and all. They simply had a bad night. I doubt if Turner and Wright missed that many shots that close to the basket all year long, other than the loss to Walton Verona in the All A. And most of them were wide open shots. They missed a bunch of free throws too. They didn't wake up and start playing until the 4th quarter when they came from 12 points down to take a 2 point lead. Unfortunately they couldn't hold on.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:I'm just guessing here about a reason he resigned. Coach Green is also the high school principal, and that job alone is time consuming enough. Maybe it was just too difficult to try to do both jobs.

I hated to see the Owsley girls lose in the way they did, especially with Mika Turner being a senior and all. They simply had a bad night. I doubt if Turner and Wright missed that many shots that close to the basket all year long, other than the loss to Walton Verona in the All A. And most of them were wide open shots. They missed a bunch of free throws too. They didn't wake up and start playing until the 4th quarter when they came from 12 points down to take a 2 point lead. Unfortunately they couldn't hold on.

In several school districts principals and administrators are not allowed to be coaches for this reason. I hate to see Coach Green go, but I wish him the best of luck.
could the reason they missed so many shots have been ever time they tried to shoot Harris was in there face...good job Estill County girls......
I think Harris had 18 rebounds....
cheerforblue Wrote:could the reason they missed so many shots have been ever time they tried to shoot Harris was in there face...good job Estill County girls......
No.
Most of their shots were open shots. Many of them were layups. They just couldn't get them to go down on this night. Those things happen. Nothing agaist Harris, but Wright and Turner have gone up against better defense this year. That wasn't a factor in their misses. Over anxious may be a better description.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:I'm just guessing here about a reason he resigned. Coach Green is also the high school principal, and that job alone is time consuming enough. Maybe it was just too difficult to try to do both jobs.

I am a close, personal friend of several of the Lady Owls including Mika Turner, and I can assure you that is the reason why. This has been weighing on him for some time now, the stress of rebuilding a schools test scores, and rebuilding the girls basketball team after the roster cut that they took with graduation... It was just too much for ONE man to handle.

My personal opinion, it is finally time for the big wigs to hand the reigns to Coach Cornet, as he has proven to be loyal to the Lady Owls, being with them ever since being hired at Owsley. He had a brief stint as head coach, finishing the season after they lost Coach Bates, and won several games. I think if he is given the chance, he might be able to show some Negative Fans just exactly what he is capable of...