Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BluegrassRivals.com Boys Basketball Top 20 (Feb. 15)
[SIZE="4"]1. Trinity (Lou.) (3)
2. Ballard
3. Holmes
4. Lexington Catholic
5. Christian County
6. Scott County
7. Shelby Valley
8. Warren Central
9. Eastern
T. George Rogers Clark
11. Jeffersontown
T. Seneca
13. Moore
14. Shelby County
15. Bowling Green
16. DuPont Manual
17. Iroquois
18. McCreary Central
19. Mason County
20. Lafayette [/SIZE]

Others receiving votes: Corbin, Tates Creek, Boone County, Newport

T = tie
Holmes by no way deserves to be ranked#3 in Kentucky. They are not ranked in the top ten in the Herald Leader or the Courier Journal. In the last 7 games they lost to a 12-11 Ryle,beat a 10-13 Dixie Hts by 3, a 14-7 NCC by 3, a 14-8 Campbell Cty by 2 ( If the Warren Ctrl game had not been cancelled they would have suffered their 6th loss and we will yet see about the Boone Cty game) yet they keep moving up in the BGR poll. I would not favor them getting out of their region at this point. The NKY and Louisville influence has taken over this BGR site and EKY is in the underdog now. We have teams like KCC, PCC, and Corbin and a few others could be ranked.
dortonite Wrote:Holmes by no way deserves to be ranked#3 in Kentucky. They are not ranked in the top ten in the Herald Leader or the Courier Journal. In the last 7 games they lost to a 12-11 Ryle,beat a 10-13 Dixie Hts by 3, a 14-7 NCC by 3, a 14-8 Campbell Cty by 2 ( If the Warren Ctrl game had not been cancelled they would have suffered their 6th loss and we will yet see about the Boone Cty game) yet they keep moving up in the BGR poll. I would not favor them getting out of their region at this point. The NKY and Louisville influence has taken over this BGR site and EKY is in the underdog now. We have teams like KCC, PCC, and Corbin and a few others could be ranked.

Look at their past schedules. They still had close games to average teams, but they went to the state championship both seasons. This team has only lost to two in-state teams, Ryle and Ballard. Ryle by no means is a push over - they've knocked off Lafayette and Highlands.

Just because a team doesn't beat their opponent by 15+ every game doesn't mean they aren't that good.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Look at their past schedules. They still had close games to average teams, but they went to the state championship both seasons. This team has only lost to two in-state teams, Ryle and Ballard. Ryle by no means is a push over - they've knocked off Lafayette and Highlands.

Just because a team doesn't beat their opponent by 15+ every game doesn't mean they aren't that good.
Ryle beat Lafayette when three of Lafayette's players were suspended for one game for disciplinary reasons. Highlands has been playing terrible this year.

The Ryle loss was a bad loss for Holmes and their recent performance against Dixie Heights and Campbell Co. make me question how good they really are.
goodguy Wrote:Ryle beat Lafayette when three of Lafayette's players were suspended for one game for disciplinary reasons. Highlands has been playing terrible this year.

The Ryle loss was a bad loss for Holmes and their recent performance against Dixie Heights and Campbell Co. make me question how good they really are.

Well it seems like Holmes just plays to the level of their opponents, because when they've played the "big boys", they've been very competitive.

I don't doubt how good Holmes is, because anyone with basketball knowledge knows that this is arguably the most talented team in the state. They do lack a true point guard, but they have the best swing forward and big man in the state. If they could get more out of the other guys like Rice and Jeremiah Johnson, then they'll be set to defend their state championship and not have to worry about being knocked off in their region tournament.

I do think this is a top 5 team, but we all know teams go into slumps no matter how good they are.

Holmes will be alright.
goodguy Wrote:Ryle beat Lafayette when three of Lafayette's players were suspended for one game for disciplinary reasons. Highlands has been playing terrible this year.

dortonite Wrote:Holmes by no way deserves to be ranked#3 in Kentucky. They are not ranked in the top ten in the Herald Leader or the Courier Journal. In the last 7 games they lost to a 12-11 Ryle,beat a 10-13 Dixie Hts by 3, a 14-7 NCC by 3, a 14-8 Campbell Cty by 2 ( If the Warren Ctrl game had not been cancelled they would have suffered their 6th loss and we will yet see about the Boone Cty game) yet they keep moving up in the BGR poll. I would not favor them getting out of their region at this point. The NKY and Louisville influence has taken over this BGR site and EKY is in the underdog now. We have teams like KCC, PCC, and Corbin and a few others could be ranked.

Say what you want about Holmes but the bottom line is this...they're currently 19-5 with just 2 in-state losses. Since that loss to Ryle, Holmes has won 6 straight. It doesn't matter whether you win by 1 or 50...a win is a win.

The win over Memphis Central (ranked in several national polls) shows just how good this team can be and is when they actually play focused basketball.

As blackcatalum said, just because Holmes isn't blowing teams out doesn't mean they aren't a good team. When Holmes has went against the better teams on their schedule, they've played much better. Let's not forget Holmes beat a HORRIBLE Simon Kenton team late in the season last year by just 8 points.

Time will tell, but Holmes is top 5 whether they play like it all the time or not. As long as they're winning, there's not much you can say.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Say what you want about Holmes but the bottom line is this...they're currently 19-5 with just 2 in-state losses. Since that loss to Ryle, Holmes has won 6 straight. It doesn't matter whether you win by 1 or 50...a win is a win.

The win over Memphis Central (ranked in several national polls) shows just how good this team can be and is when they actually play focused basketball.

As blackcatalum said, just because Holmes isn't blowing teams out doesn't mean they aren't a good team. When Holmes has went against the better teams on their schedule, they've played much better. Let's not forget Holmes beat a HORRIBLE Simon Kenton team late in the season last year by just 8 points.

Time will tell, but Holmes is top 5 whether they play like it all the time or not. As long as they're winning, there's not much you can say.

Holmes and GRC has something in common, they both beat Memphis Central. The best team GRC has faced all year. That includes, Trinity, Scott Co, Lexington Catholic and Eastern. Some don't realize just how good Memphis Central is. Huge win for both Holmes and GRC.
Gold Charger Wrote:Holmes and GRC has something in common, they both beat Memphis Central. The best team GRC has faced all year. That includes, Trinity, Scott Co, Lexington Catholic and Eastern. Some don't realize just how good Memphis Central is. Huge win for both Holmes and GRC.

Memphis Central is a really good team. They beat Ballard, Shelby County, and McEachern in the King of the Bluegrass, and might have won it all if Clark County didn't beat them. They also defeated national power Melrose (twice), who is ranked #1 in TN and #10 in the nation by MaxPreps. (MaxPreps has Memphis Central at #3 in TN and #23 in the nation.)
ryanblue1424 Wrote:Memphis Central is a really good team. They beat Ballard, Shelby County, and McEachern in the King of the Bluegrass, and might have won it all if Clark County didn't beat them. They also defeated national power Melrose (twice), who is ranked #1 in TN and #10 in the nation by MaxPreps. (MaxPreps has Memphis Central at #3 in TN and #23 in the nation.)
They have the two best guards that we have faced all year. I agree I think they would have won it all if we had not beaten them.
Gold Charger Wrote:Holmes and GRC has something in common, they both beat Memphis Central. The best team GRC has faced all year. That includes, Trinity, Scott Co, Lexington Catholic and Eastern. Some don't realize just how good Memphis Central is. Huge win for both Holmes and GRC.

ryanblue1424 Wrote:Memphis Central is a really good team. They beat Ballard, Shelby County, and McEachern in the King of the Bluegrass, and might have won it all if Clark County didn't beat them. They also defeated national power Melrose (twice), who is ranked #1 in TN and #10 in the nation by MaxPreps. (MaxPreps has Memphis Central at #3 in TN and #23 in the nation.)

Gold Charger Wrote:They have the two best guards that we have faced all year. I agree I think they would have won it all if we had not beaten them.

:Thumbs:

Holmes and Clark Co might have a few losses but anyone who doesn't think these teams are top 5 or top 10 doesn't know very much about basketball.

When you play a schedule that is as tough as these two teams', it's very hard to mentally and physically be there every night and bring your best effort. I have a feeling when mid March rolls around, we'll see both of these two teams representing their regions at Rupp.
Gold Charger Wrote:They have the two best guards that we have faced all year. I agree I think they would have won it all if we had not beaten them.

They also have one of the best sophomores in the country in Jarnell Stokes, a 6'7" center. (Rivals have him at #3 in the class of 2012)
kywldcat01 Wrote::Thumbs:

Holmes and Clark Co might have a few losses but anyone who doesn't think these teams are top 5 or top 10 doesn't know very much about basketball.

When you play a schedule that is as tough as these two teams', it's very hard to mentally and physically be there every night and bring your best effort. I have a feeling when mid March rolls around, we'll see both of these two teams representing their regions at Rupp.

I agree you can't just go by just the win/loss record. Strength of schedule plays a huge part. GRC has already played 7 games against Louisville Schools, most from the strong 7th region. Their last game of the season is Ballard,this Friday, that will make 8 games. They also have played Scott Co and Lexington Catholic. They have 6 losses, but have played one of the strongest schedules in the state. They also have wins over out of state teams in Memphis Central and Lee Al.
When Holmes walks into a gym, It is the opposing teams super bowl. I bet you when they travel on the road, they walk into teams biggest crowds of the year, and there opponets probably play their best ball.

Holmes will be just fine this season.

I believe that they are a little lower than 3rd in the state, but they will have something to say about who wins state this season.

Gonna be a great March in Rupp!!

I think Holmes is right where they should be. I could buy them being ranked as low as #5 in the state, but no lower. They still have to be considered one of the favorites to win the state title.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:1: Bulldogs are State Champs until March 20 :1: You can rank them 3 - 10 - 50, I really dont care what anybody else thinks of polls. They will be at Rupp and the state will once again see!!! :blabbermo
The Iceboxx Wrote:When Holmes walks into a gym, It is the opposing teams super bowl. I bet you when they travel on the road, they walk into teams biggest crowds of the year, and there opponets probably play their best ball.

Holmes will be just fine this season.

I believe that they are a little lower than 3rd in the state, but they will have something to say about who wins state this season.

Gonna be a great March in Rupp!!

Dead on. :notworthy

Holmes plays in a hostile environment every time they go on the road. It is that teams' biggest home game of the year and everyone comes out for it. Heck, there's been times where visiting teams have brought more fans to Evans Fieldhouse than what was on the Holmes side.

If you look at Holmes close games, the opposing teams' fans have all said that was the best they had seen their team play all year.
why aint knott co in this for
Look forward to the new rankings coming out this week.