Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
can russell repeat in 06
c'mon lets hear, does russell have what it takes to repeat
I think Russell has a good chance to repeat next season. They are losing some good players, bringing back some great players, and have young guys with experience ready to fill in.
Russell loses 7 offensive starters and 7 defensive starters, including two players that made all state (Michael Horn and Drew Mell) so they don't return a lot from this year. However, Ivan McGlone always reloads his team and players step it up, and with Kasey Clark returning and those two good transfers coming in, I think their chances of repeating are good.
They will have a solid team...as always, I expect them to be a strong contender next year.
I don't see it happening,, I think your East representative will be either Belfry or Middlesboro.

Middlesboro returns 9 starters on both sides of the ball.

Belfry returns 8 starters on defense, a pair of 1000 yard rushers, and the majority of a pretty strong offensive line.
I would love to see a repeat of them.. But they will give it their all, I do know that !
AshlandTcat06 Wrote:Russell loses 7 offensive starters and 7 defensive starters, including two players that made all state (Michael Horn and Drew Mell) so they don't return a lot from this year. However, Ivan McGlone always reloads his team and players step it up, and with Kasey Clark returning and those two good transfers coming in, I think their chances of repeating are good.

For a Belfry fan this sounds very good! I am not sure if they can or not! It will be much harder the second time around! They now have a big target on their back! We all know that Russell has a great program with a lot of support! I think a few teams in the East may have something to say about them and their repeat!

Tongueirate04: :yesno: Tongueirate04:
RHS 08 Wrote:c'mon lets hear, does russell have what it takes to repeat

mmmmmmmmmmmm not really
Tough Turf Wrote:mmmmmmmmmmmm not really

Care to elaborate?
No way will they repeat, 06 is Belfry's year.
JUDGE140 Wrote:No way will they repeat, 06 is Belfry's year.

That's what everyone said about 05.Confusedhithappe
Midee1 Wrote:That's what everyone said about 05.Confusedhithappe

Now we all know that Belfry lost a lot from 2003 and 2004! I am not sure we were ever the favorite this year! I do think we have a lot more coming back than Russell next year!

:please: :HitWall:
BelfryJustice Wrote:Now we all know that Belfry lost a lot from 2003 and 2004! I am not sure we were ever the favorite this year! I do think we have a lot more coming back than Russell next year!

:please: :HitWall:

I would agree that you all probably have more coming back. But as you used to tell me. To be the best you have to beat the best.Wink
Midee1 Wrote:I would agree that you all probably have more coming back. But as you used to tell me. To be the best you have to beat the best.Wink

That is very true! Russell was the team of 2005 hands down! I can not take anything away from them! They played some very good football! I hope that it is Russell and Belfry in the semi again next year! I think both teams have some areas of concern!

TongueoliceLig TongueoliceLig
Really Dont Care who wins this.... but i would like to see russell back there next year, they played very well this year at state. Their Halfback, i aint sure of his name, but he had an excellent game, had like 5 td himself right?
No one said that Belfry wld repeat in '05, it was supposed to be a rebuilding year for the Pirates,so as you said yes shit does happen.
unda-taka Wrote:Really Dont Care who wins this.... but i would like to see russell back there next year, they played very well this year at state. Their Halfback, i aint sure of his name, but he had an excellent game, had like 5 td himself right?

Kasey Clark is his name. He had 3 rushing touchdowns and 1 receiving touchdown in the state championship game against Owensboro Catholic.
JUDGE140 Wrote:No one said that Belfry wld repeat in '05, it was supposed to be a rebuilding year for the Pirates,so as you said yes shit does happen.

I'm just referring to things that I have read from several other posters on several other forums. A bunch said that Belfry would repeat. You obviously understand the rebuilding years where others just thought that since Belfry had won 2 in a row that they would automatically win three.
Midee1 Wrote:That's what everyone said about 05.Confusedhithappe
Originally Posted by JUDGE140
No way will they repeat, 06 is Belfry's year.

i listened to the game on the radio and it sounded like the only reason russel beat belfry was because it was at home
to be the best you gotta beat the best, russel will have a big bulls eye on thier chest, Belfry, along with Sheldon Clark, and Possibly Prestonburg will be shooting to knock them down from thier throne. Next year will be some great football here in the east.
In response to MCHS Fball # 14,

Russell didn't win just because they played at home. They won because they wanted it more than Belfry did, no way was Belfry going to win that game by playing just 1 1/2 quarters. They needed to play the whole game, which they didn't. Russell deserved the game and the AA Championship as well. I am a Pirate fan abd always will be, but give gredit where credit is due. Congrats Red Devils
2 Championships on a row doesn't guarentee you of anything but being a target the next year, to win 3 you have to want it and have the ability to go out and take it. Belfry did a great job, no one can fault them for what they did.
Russell will always be a threat of winning a State Championship because they are capable of keeping the football from high powered offenses (Like O'Cath) with their Wing-T balll control offense and will always play solid defense. Russell will always have the athletes to compete for the big trophy because Russell is a football school. Do I think they will win it? Not really. It would be hard if they were to have to travel to Belfry, Sheldon Clark, P'burg, Breathitt, or M'boro. Are they capable of winning it? You better bet believe it. This is a football school that is second to none in tradition and will be right in the thick of things next year.
Matney's Prodigey Wrote:Russell will always be a threat of winning a State Championship because they are capable of keeping the football from high powered offenses (Like O'Cath) with their Wing-T balll control offense and will always play solid defense. Russell will always have the athletes to compete for the big trophy because Russell is a football school. Do I think they will win it? Not really. It would be hard if they were to have to travel to Belfry, Sheldon Clark, P'burg, Breathitt, or M'boro. Are they capable of winning it? You better bet believe it. This is a football school that is second to none in tradition and will be right in the thick of things next year.

I think most of us agree with you on the above. Russell has a great history and will be ready for any challenge next season. They will have to take their show on the road this year to the greatest show on turf in AA. Belfry and many others in our region will cause a lot of problems for anyone. Belfry will also have a great backfield that will be ready for a battle late in the year. I will go on to say that Belfry beats both teams from the North East next year in Ashland and Russell! I may have put my neck on the line with that statement.

Go PIRATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tongueirate04: TongueirateSku Tongueirate04: :#1: in 2006
I'll join BelfryJustice in predicting Belfry to beat both Ashland & Russell next yearif Russell wins their region. Belfry will have dynamite backfield as well as a solid line to go along with it.
JUDGE140 Wrote:I'll join BelfryJustice in predicting Belfry to beat both Ashland & Russell next yearif Russell wins their region. Belfry will have dynamite backfield as well as a solid line to go along with it.

I like the way you think!

:Wave:
:yesno: To both of you. Of course I think Russell has a chance to repeat. If Kasey stays healthy and a few more step up they have a great chance to go deep into the season again. Keep in mind that these boys were not supposed to win. It was supposed to be the 04 team that went all the way with all the talent. I think that the 05 team may have been a little more well rounded and we still have plenty of depth. Just like Belfry, Russell never really rebuilds they just reload.
Midee1 Wrote::yesno: To both of you. Of course I think Russell has a chance to repeat. If Kasey stays healthy and a few more step up they have a great chance to go deep into the season again. Keep in mind that these boys were not supposed to win. It was supposed to be the 04 team that went all the way with all the talent. I think that the 05 team may have been a little more well rounded and we still have plenty of depth. Just like Belfry, Russell never really rebuilds they just reload.

I think we at Belfry all know that Russell will be the team to beat in 06! They have some very good players coming back that love the taste of that title. I do think Belfry will have move coming back and will cause problems for anyone late in the season. The reload concept is what separates the top teams from the others! Both Russell and Belfry have been doing this for years. Did you enjoy the 03 and 04 games Midee1? And once agian you have to beat the best to be the best! Russell is on top of the hill with a BIG target on their back!!!!!!!!!!!

TongueirateSho TongueirateSho TongueirateSho TongueirateSho TongueirateSho
BelfryJustice Wrote:I think we at Belfry all know that Russell will be the team to beat in 06! They have some very good players coming back that love the taste of that title. I do think Belfry will have move coming back and will cause problems for anyone late in the season. The reload concept is what separates the top teams from the others! Both Russell and Belfry have been doing this for years. Did you enjoy the 03 and 04 games Midee1? And once agian you have to beat the best to be the best! Russell is on top of the hill with a BIG target on their back!!!!!!!!!!!

TongueirateSho TongueirateSho TongueirateSho TongueirateSho TongueirateSho

Glad to see that we understand one another. Look forward to meeting up again next year. I've only watched the 04 game but I enjoyed it very much and am looking forward to watching to 03 game.

BTW How was the game and the picture disc that I sent you? Oscar does a wonderful job of capturing the action.
Midee1 Wrote:Glad to see that we understand one another. Look forward to meeting up again next year. I've only watched the 04 game but I enjoyed it very much and am looking forward to watching to 03 game.

BTW How was the game and the picture disc that I sent you? Oscar does a wonderful job of capturing the action.

Not to nitpick, but they only played in '04 & '05.

So which one did you get to see? I am assuming the '05 game.