Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seneca 65 Eastern 57
Seneca is in the championship of the KOB after a 65-57 win over region rival Eastern. Third preseason top 5 team of the day lost in KOB. All 3 lost to other Ky teams.
Seneca faces district rival Trinity in the finals tomorrow.
Seneca with a statement game. Congrats.
Looks like the 7th has 4 of the top 5 teams in the state.
tezzy859 Wrote:Looks like the 7th has 4 of the top 5 teams in the state.
Three are in one district, Ballard, Trinity and Seneca. Just think one of these teams will not make it to the Regional Tournament!
goodguy Wrote:Three are in one district, Ballard, Trinity and Seneca. Just think one of these teams will not make it to the Regional Tournament!

We could lose the number one team in the state in the first round of the districts. Do they seed or have a draw?
Seneca is 1-0 (W-Waggener)
Ballad is 1-0 (W-Trinity)
Trinity is 1-1 (W-Waggener)
Waggener is 0-2

Seneca at Ballard on Jan. 8 will be major matchup.
I believe I called this one in the Seneca-Knott Co thread. I said Seneca would show in this game that they were extremely underrated and a legit team and they went out and proved it.

Down 13 at one point, the Redhawks came all the way back. Very impressive performance.
Seneca 65, Eastern 57 - Eastern opened the final semi-final of the night with a 2-0 lead before the two team exchanged the lead twice and battled to four ties in the opening five minutes of play. The Eagles eventually pushed their lead to five point by the end of the quarter following a Delquan Thomas layup. Kevin Shaw's three-pointer got Seneca as close as two points in the opening minutes of the second quarter. Eastern scored eleven unaswered points to give them the largest lead of the game at 13 points. Three minutes later a Martez Harris layup brought Seneca back within eight points but they could get any closer in the opening half. It took the Redhawks until the final thirty seconds of the third quarter to pull within one posession of the Eagles. With 4:25 remaining in the game an Aaron Nance field goal gave Seneca there first lead since 6-4. Roy Stone connected on the next two free throws for the Redhawks who never looked back. The closest Eastern got in the final two minutes of the game was two points following a basket by Lyonell Gaines. Martez Harris' dunk with 0:41 remaining in the game sealed the victory for the Redhawks who went on to win 65-57 advancing to their second King of the Bluegrass final in school history. Lyonell Gaines led Eastern with a game-high 20 points and 11 rebounds. Remy Abell added 16 for the Eagles. Martez Harris scored 19 points to lead the Redhawks and Roy Stone added 12. Seneca's Martez Harris was named the Gatorade/Five-Star Basketball Star of the Game.
What a season the 7th region is going to be.

Congrats Hawks!
Seneca will def be ranked after this week!
Aslan Wrote:Seneca will def be ranked after this week!

They where #18 in our poll. But yeah, expect a huge leap into the top 10, maybe even top 5.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:They where #18 in our poll. But yeah, expect a huge leap into the top 10, maybe even top 5.

I agree. My top 5 would look like this:
  1. Ballard
  2. Seneca
  3. Trinity
  4. Scott Co.
  5. Eastern
tezzy859 Wrote:I agree. My top 5 would look like this:
  1. Ballard
  2. Seneca
  3. Trinity
  4. Scott Co.
  5. Eastern

Scott Co lost tonight too. It's very conceivable that the 7th region has the top 4 teams in the state with Ballard, Seneca, Eastern, and Trinity.

At this point, I'd put those 4 ahead of Clark Co, Scott Co, and Holmes.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Scott Co lost tonight too. It's very conceivable that the 7th region has the top 4 teams in the state with Ballard, Seneca, Eastern, and Trinity.

At this point, I'd put those 4 ahead of Clark Co, Scott Co, and Holmes.

Where does J-town fit in? They have to be close to the top 10 also.
J'town has a dog in the top 5 fight as well.

My top 10 as of 3:08 AM - Dec. 22, 2009

1. Ballard
2. Scott County
3. Seneca
4. Jeffersontown
5. Eastern
6. Shelby Valley
7. Holmes
8. Christian County
9. Trinity (Lou.)
10. Clark County

You could honestly turn this upside down and have one helluva argument as well.
tezzy859 Wrote:Where does J-town fit in? They have to be close to the top 10 also.

BlackcatAlum Wrote:J'town has a dog in the top 5 fight as well.

1. Ballard
2. Scott County
3. Seneca
4. Jeffersontown
5. Eastern
6. Shelby Valley
7. Holmes
8. Christian County
9. Trinity (Lou.)
10. Clark County

J'town doesn't have that signature win yet that warrants a top 5 ranking, despite being 9-0. I also wouldn't have Shelby Valley, Holmes, or Christian Co ahead of Trinity.

I'd go with this:

1. Ballard
2. Trinity
3. Scott Co
4. Seneca
5. Clark Co
6. Holmes
7. Eastern
8.. Christian Co
9. J'town
10. Shelby Valley

Until Valley gets a signature in state win, it's tough to put them ahead of any of the teams in front of them...same with J'town and Christian Co, so SV fans don't go overboard and think I'm bashing them.
kywldcat01 Wrote:J'town doesn't have that signature win yet that warrants a top 5 ranking, despite being 9-0. I also wouldn't have Shelby Valley, Holmes, or Christian Co ahead of Trinity.

I'd go with this:

1. Ballard
2. Trinity
3. Scott Co
4. Seneca
5. Clark Co
6. Holmes
7. Eastern
8.. Christian Co
9. J'town
10. Shelby Valley

Until Valley gets a signature in state win, it's tough to put them ahead of any of the teams in front of them...same with J'town and Christian Co, so SV fans don't go overboard and think I'm bashing them.

I cannot disagree with anything your saying. Like I said, you could turn any top 10 upside down right now and have an argument.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:J'town has a dog in the top 5 fight as well.

1. Ballard
2. Scott County
3. Seneca
4. Jeffersontown
5. Eastern
6. Shelby Valley
7. Holmes
8. Christian County
9. Trinity (Lou.)
10. Clark County

Good list it's scary how good the 7th is. To bad they can only send one team. They have 4 or 5 teams who could make a run at Rupp. I think it might be harder to get out of the 7th, than it is to win the state championship.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I cannot disagree with anything your saying. Like I said, you could turn any top 10 upside down right now and have an argument.

tezzy859 Wrote:Good list it's scary how good the 7th is. To bad they can only send one team. They have 4 or 5 teams who could make a run at Rupp. I think it might be harder to get out of the 7th, than it is to win the state championship.

I agree with both of you.

The Louisville Invitational Tournament (LIT) is going to be tougher than the state tournament, IMO.
Wow, a real surprise to me
kywldcat01 Wrote:J'town doesn't have that signature win yet that warrants a top 10 rankings, despite being 9-0. I also wouldn't have Shelby Valley, Holmes, or Christian Co ahead of Trinity.

I'd go with this:

1. Ballard
2. Trinity
3. Scott Co
4. Seneca
5. Clark Co
6. Holmes
7. Eastern
8.. Christian Co
9. J'town
10. Shelby Valley

What signature in state win does Holmes have?

If I recall, the two in state games Holmes played against good competition they lost. Clark co. in a scrimmage and Ballard in the KOB. Therefore, Holmes shouldn't be in the top 5 by your senario. Also, your beloved Holmes team is on Wazoo Sports getting whipped by Clark Co. So anyone who wants to see your bulldogs can see them on that website.
HollaBack Wrote:What signature in state win does Holmes have?

If I recall, the two in state games Holmes played against good competition they lost. Clark co. in a scrimmage and Ballard in the KOB. Therefore, Holmes shouldn't be in the top 5 by your senario. Also, your beloved Holmes team is on Wazoo Sports getting whipped by Clark Co. So anyone who wants to see your bulldogs can see them on that website.

:thatsfunn I figured you'd chime in since I mentioned Shelby Valley.

And if you want to use a scrimmage, then you obviously don't know much about basketball...btw, Holmes was winning that game by 7 before Ricardo Johnson got hurt so you'e comment about them being "whipped" holds little credibility. It only shows the first quarter and maybe 2 minutes of the second quarter before we went off the air. NEXT!

Holmes has proved themselves over the past 3 years. They don't need to get a signature win for them to EARN respect in the rankings.

It's tough to guage how Holmes stacks up against in state competition because they've only played 4 games in state:

In State: Beechwood (55-40), St Henry (61-42 without Pittman), Newport (59-41...currently 6-1), Ballard (L- 60-52)

Out of state: Bowman Academy (L 60-58...led by as many as 10), Memphis Central (W 45-40...only team to beat Ballard. I'd say that's a signature win), McEachern (L 59-51...led by 7 late in the game), Chaparral (W 58-43)

So Holmes is 3-1 against in state competition and 2-2 against out of state competiiton.

Once again slim...get your facts straight before you get on here bashing a team. It only makes you look ignorant.
kywldcat01 Wrote::thatsfunn I figured you'd chime in since I mentioned Shelby Valley.

And if you want to use a scrimmage, then you obviously don't know much about basketball...btw, Holmes was winning that game by 7 before Ricardo Johnson got hurt so you'e comment about them being "whipped" holds little credibility. It only shows the first quarter and maybe 2 minutes of the second quarter before we went off the air. NEXT!

Holmes has proved themselves over the past 3 years. They don't need to get a signature win for them to EARN respect in the rankings.

It's tough to guage how Holmes stacks up against in state competition because they've only played 4 games in state:

In State: Beechwood (55-40), St Henry (61-42 without Pittman), Newport (59-41...currently 6-1), Ballard (L- 60-52)

Out of state: Bowman Academy (L 60-58...led by as many as 10), Memphis Central (W 45-40...only team to beat Ballard. I'd say that's a signature win), McEachern (L 59-51...led by 7 late in the game), Chaparral (W 58-43)

So Holmes is 3-1 against in state competition and 2-2 against out of state competiiton.

Once again slim...get your facts straight before you get on here bashing a team. It only makes you look ignorant.

What facts aren't straight. I said Holmes doesn't have a signature in state win (true), I said they got beat by two good Ky teams (true), I said they have some good D1 athletes (true), and I said they can't score over 61 points so far this year (true), I never brought up Shelby Valley.

If you look in my earlier post the comments I have made about Holmes is they can't score enough because of the lack of guard play. I said because of this they won't win in the KOB. (TRUE). Looks to me like I am pretty much hitting the nail on the head!