Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toughest place to play in the 15th and 16th regions (distinguish between the two)
Where are the toughest places to play in the 15th and 16th regions? Distinguish between the two regions (ex. 15th-school, 16th-school), what makes it so tough to play there, etc.:redboxer:
15th - Lawrence, Paintsville, and Shelby Valley
I've never been to a 16th region venue before but in the 15th i would say the toughest place to play has to be Johnson Central.
In the 16th Region, the toughest place for a visitor to win is at James A. Anderson Gymnasium with Bob Kouns, the resident official, blowing his whistle.
Shelby Valley's last home loss was to Lex Cath in 04' I think... Pretty sure they have won 51 straight home games.
In the 16th, I think Russell and Fairview are tough places to play, when the crowd is big. The noise in both of those gyms gets pretty loud, due to the acoustics.

Boyd County, back in the 80's and 90's was no cakewalk either. When Ashland and Boyd played, with the big crowds and Zornes on one bench and Breeden on the other, it was a madhouse in that big gym.
Larry Legend Wrote:Shelby Valley's last home loss was to Lex Cath in 04' I think... Pretty sure they have won 51 straight home games.

I think that sums up the 15th.
Larry Legend Wrote:Shelby Valley's last home loss was to Lex Cath in 04' I think... Pretty sure they have won 51 straight home games.

Correct on Lexcath being their last home loss. They also lost to Cawood at home that year.

They've won 52 straight at home...
kywldcat01 Wrote:Correct on Lexcath being their last home loss. They also lost to Cawood at home that year.

They've won 52 straight at home...

What was the correction? Valley lost to Lex Catholic on Feb 24th and they lost to Cawood Feb 14th, so their last loss at home came against Lex. Catholic...I don't see what you're point was in pointing out that they lost to Cawood.
That is some kind of record.. Congrats to Valley. Lex Cath a long way from here. When was the last time a Pike County School beat them at home???
Truth Wrote:In the 16th Region, the toughest place for a visitor to win is at James A. Anderson Gymnasium with Bob Kouns, the resident official, blowing his whistle.

Maybe you'll get that wooden spoon for Christmas, Truth. Then you'll really be able to stir the pot.
Squid Wrote:Maybe you'll get that wooden spoon for Christmas, Truth. Then you'll really be able to stir the pot.

I knew you'd like the post, Squid. There was no intent to stir the pot but merely to state what is common knowledge around the region. I'll bet most of your associates, if being honest, would agree.
lex cath was rated number one that year.
Truth Wrote:... There was no intent to stir the pot ...

Isn't it ironic, that you chose "Truth" for your screen name?

To your credit, you are nothing, if not consistent.
15th
1.Shelby Valley
2.JC
3.BL

14th
1A.Knott
1B.PCC
1C.Hazard
PC_You_Know Wrote:What was the correction? Valley lost to Lex Catholic on Feb 24th and they lost to Cawood Feb 14th, so their last loss at home came against Lex. Catholic...I don't see what you're point was in pointing out that they lost to Cawood.

If you would've read the post that I quoted, you would've saw that I was simply correcting SV's streak is 52 straight...not 51.

No need for you to get all riled up over nothing.
But why did you bring up them losing to Cawood?
Truth Wrote:I knew you'd like the post, Squid. There was no intent to stir the pot but merely to state what is common knowledge around the region. I'll bet most of your associates, if being honest, would agree.

You discredit all the Ashland players on the floor in that game when you blame your loss on B Kouns. I dissagree with you on what passes as common knowledge around the region too. I know that loss hurt but, does it really ease the pain to keep saying this stuff or does it just make things worse?
In the 16th has to be Ashland, Elliott, and East Carter. In the 15th it has to be Shelby Valley and normally I would say Paintsville would be on this list, but it hasn't been tough the last couple of years.
gapman Wrote:You discredit all the Ashland players on the floor in that game when you blame your loss on B Kouns. I dissagree with you on what passes as common knowledge around the region too. I know that loss hurt but, does it really ease the pain to keep saying this stuff or does it just make things worse?

The question that started the thread was geared toward the atmosphere in the given gyms. Since no one but "Truth" took the cheap shots at the other teams, it is self evident that everyone understood the gist of the question. "Truth" understood it as well, but it was (for him) an open door that he simply couldn't pass up.

It's who he is, gapman. He just can't help himself. He has hated Ashland for years (if not decades), and he will take every possible opportunity to badmouth and belittle the school and it's athletic teams. Anyone from the area that knows him (and pays attention) understands it. It is a classic case of "consider the source".

After all of these years, he isn't going to be changing his stripes any time soon.
Coffee Can Wrote:In the 16th has to be Ashland, Elliott, and East Carter. In the 15th it has to be Shelby Valley and normally I would say Paintsville would be on this list, but it hasn't been tough the last couple of years.

I was waiting to see who would put Paintsville in the debate.

I know that Shelby Valley hasn't been around all that long, but over the last 50 years or so, I would think that Paintsville would have been one of the tougher gyms to win in, in the 15th.
BlueSky Wrote:That is some kind of record.. Congrats to Valley. Lex Cath a long way from here. When was the last time a Pike County School beat them at home???

The last time Shelby Valley lost too a county school was too Pikeville but it was at a netural site. But too answer the question the last time Shelby Valley lost too a pike county team at SV was March 3rd 2000 too Pikeville in the 59th Disrict tournment.
Truth Wrote:In the 16th Region, the toughest place for a visitor to win is at James A. Anderson Gymnasium with Bob Kouns, the resident official, blowing his whistle.

I'LL never forget in 1977 Ashland vs Fairview when the late George Cooke got a technical from Bobby Kouns before the game even started. I was right beside coach Cooke when it happened he was cussing Kouns and all over him when he called the T! After he did Cooke just looked at him and said now just call a good game.
[quote=gapman]You discredit all the Ashland players on the floor in that game when you blame your loss on B Kouns.

Not in the least. The atmosphere in the gym can be clearly controlled by the officiating. I have to agree with Truth. James A. is a difficult venue for any visitor to leave with a W when Bobby is toting a whistle.

To say that BK doesn't often control the outcome at James A. is being disingenuous.

HOOKUM HORNS :rockon::rockon:
Walleye differs from Squid and gapman in that he doesn't wear little maroon shorts and maroon tinted glasses. The latter two are far too sensitive when it comes to posts not necessarily favorable to that ancient tradition. They, particularly Squid, always overreact. Words like "hate" are far too strong. Actually this continual need to jump to the defense of your favorites is amusing. I don't think anyone else takes these posts, most of which are done with a wink of the eye and with tongue in cheek, seriously. Lighten up, boys. It is not a sin to avoid praying to the little maroon statue. If everyone bowed to that "tradition", life would be quite boring.

Still if Squid is ever missing, just let me know and I'll make a post. That, as is usually the intention, always brings him out of his hiding place.
Squid Wrote:In the 16th, I think Russell and Fairview are tough places to play, when the crowd is big. The noise in both of those gyms gets pretty loud, due to the acoustics.

Boyd County, back in the 80's and 90's was no cakewalk either. When Ashland and Boyd played, with the big crowds and Zornes on one bench and Breeden on the other, it was a madhouse in that big gym.

Without a doubt some of the best crowds I have seen in this part of the state! Growing up and watching some of those games with Marty Thomas of ashland and Frank Lee of Boyd were great memories. Just some of the big stars who used to play in those games.
inspiron Wrote:Without a doubt some of the best crowds I have seen in this part of the state! Growing up and watching some of those games with Marty Thomas of ashland and Frank Lee of Boyd were great memories. Just some of the big stars who used to play in those games.

The people in the 15th have to have great memories of some of the talent that has passed through those gyms as well. In another 25 years, they will look back on these Shelby Valley teams in the same way they remember the '96 Paintsville team.

In our region, we've had the luxury of getting to see teams from almost the entire region play against other memorable teams. The heydays of Rowan County were that much more memorable because they had to beat some very solid teams from Boyd and Ashland to win the trip to Rupp.

One of the sad things about Elliott County's run over the last three years is that they really didn't have any competition within the region. They will always be remembered as one of the great teams from the 16th, but they would have been regarded even higher if there had been another great team for them to have to beat. In that sense, their legacy is actually a victim of their own success.
Truth Wrote:... Still if Squid is ever missing, just let me know and I'll make a post. That, as is usually the intention, always brings him out of his hiding place.

You seem to be surprised by the fact that, if you spit on someone, they will respond to you. If you ever put up a positive post, you will be pleasantly shocked to learn that people respond to those, as well.
Squid Wrote:You seem to be surprised by the fact that, if you spit on someone, they will respond to you. If you ever put up a positive post, you will be pleasantly shocked to learn that people respond to those, as well.

As I have said repeatedly, Squid, you take all of this too personally. Still, I'll take your bait and state that Buddy Biggs, Jeff Wilcox, and Bill Bradley are, in my opinion, good coaches. Wilcox is a Hall of Famer and I think everyone in this area can take pride in that. I certainly do.
Squid Wrote:The people in the 15th have to have great memories of some of the talent that has passed through those gyms as well. In another 25 years, they will look back on these Shelby Valley teams in the same way they remember the '96 Paintsville team.

In our region, we've had the luxury of getting to see teams from almost the entire region play against other memorable teams. The heydays of Rowan County were that much more memorable because they had to beat some very solid teams from Boyd and Ashland to win the trip to Rupp.

One of the sad things about Elliott County's run over the last three years is that they really didn't have any competition within the region. They will always be remembered as one of the great teams from the 16th, but they would have been regarded even higher if there had been another great team for them to have to beat. In that sense, their legacy is actually a victim of their own success.

But Elliott County will be more highly regarded on a statewide scale. Rowan County never made any statewide noise during their run. They are primarily remembered as the teams that Kelly Wells played on.