Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Cut Gomes
CINCINNATI -- Outfielder Jonny Gomes has been cut loose by the Reds after one season with Cincinnati.

The 30-year-old Gomes, who spent his first six major league seasons with Tampa Bay, hit .267 with 20 homers and 51 RBIs for the Reds this year. He started the season at Triple-A Louisville and was brought up May 22.
Gomes had a split contract this year calling for salaries of $75,000 in the minors and $600,000 in the majors. He earned an additional $100,000 in performance bonuses based on plate appearances.

Cincinnati can still re-sign Gomes, who had been eligible for arbitration and becomes a free agent Sunday.

The Reds offered contracts to its other two players eligible for arbitration, right-handers Jared Burton and Nick Masset.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4737551"]Outfielder Jonny Gomes cut by Cincinnati Reds after one season - ESPN[/ame]
Maybe they will offer Kansas City a trade and they can bring the Somerset native Josh Anderson to the Reds.
Too bad it didn't work out, I liked Gomes
Captain Backdoor Wrote:Maybe they will offer Kansas City a trade and they can bring the Somerset native Josh Anderson to the Reds.

That's too good to be true! I would love it if Josh Anderson played for the Reds! It's was fun seeing him play for the Lexington Legends and it would be even better to see him play for the Reds!!
The Reds can still sign him as a free agent, this just means they've lost first dibs at him. Basically, it's the Reds way of letting Gomes' agent search for a better deal with other teams because Gomes is probably looking for something in the range of $2 million over 2-years guaranteed MLB contract.

This also gives the Reds a chance to see who else is available. I take this move as the Reds seeing another option for LF or taking Gomes' money and utilizing it somewhere else, such as a proven MLB veteran that can become a utility player and has experience at SS.
Very stupid by the Reds.
20+ homers will be tough to replace. I guess we will wait and see how it will work out.
Typical move by the Reds. Jocketty should be fired IMO he lets too many good players go.
leecoukfan Wrote:That's too good to be true! I would love it if Josh Anderson played for the Reds! It's was fun seeing him play for the Lexington Legends and it would be even better to see him play for the Reds!!

Well being from Somerset I would love for the hometown guy to be in the reds uniform. I am a Braves fan and I thought that he would good in Atlanta but they must have thought differently. Either way I wish Josh the best of luck.
MSU Eagle Wrote:Very stupid by the Reds.

Why is it a stupid move? Don't you think there's a better candidate than Gomes on the market that would fit the Reds needs better say as a utility player? The budget sucks but that's the way it is for the Reds.

Left field has different options on the roster: Chris Dickerson, Chris Heisey, Wladimir Balentien, Juan Francisco or Todd Frazier. SS has Paul Janish and that's really about it.

The Reds have been looking at Craig Counsel and Macier Izturis. They can't look at them and sign Gomes too.

Gomes would be a big help, but filling the #2 slot in the order and having someone to back up Janish is the biggest priority at the moment.