Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How would you guard Elisha Justice?
well i was gonna answer but from all these comments its apparent that he is just simply "un-guardable", guess we will just have to see how the likes of wesley johnson, lance stephenson, kemba walker and all those big east guys guard him. lol.
Larry Legend Wrote:Of course everyone is guardable, but our point is there aren't the same caliber athletes in the Eastern part of the state. Some of the Louisville schools have both the quickness and the length to guard him. Its just really tough for schools in this area to devise an executable game plan. He isn't invincible just really good. I think people do get a little carried away from time to time, but it has been a long time since Eastern KY has had a guard of his stature. Thats the only reason people get excited. Once he is gone, he is gone and there will be no more threads about the dominance of SV and Elisha Justice. Maybe the people that start these threads and post in them are just trying to live it up while they can. SV isn't the best team in the state, but they so have a shot at a state crown and teams like that don't come around very often. SV fans are just trying to live it up while they can. Same as Elliott last season. These players come and go in the blink of any eye.

Good post. :Clap:
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
There is no guarding him.

Your best bet is to wake up beside him in the morning, guard him from the time he leaves his bed, until the time he enters the gym. If he goes to the bathroom, you go with him. If he goes to get some popcorn, you go with him.
The first thing and by far the most important thing is you have to get him out away from the 15th region officials that worship him and the rest of the Valley team. They just flat took the game from Miller Grove when Pitino walked in at halftime, they called 8 Fouls in a row and it was totally ridiculous. Then after you do that, make him put it on the floor to his left, yes he can dribble that way too, but you always keep him from coming back to his right. Everyone is guardable, you just have to watch their tendencies! Smile
[quote=mountain hoops guru]The first thing and by far the most important thing is you have to get him out away from the 15th region officials that worship him and the rest of the Valley team. They just flat took the game from Miller Grove when Pitino walked in at halftime, they called 8 Fouls in a row and it was totally ridiculous. Then after you do that, make him put it on the floor to his left, yes he can dribble that way too, but you always keep him from coming back to his right. Everyone is guardable, you just have to watch their tendencies! Smile[/QUOTE

:Thumbs:
mountain hoops guru Wrote:The first thing and by far the most important thing is you have to get him out away from the 15th region officials that worship him and the rest of the Valley team. They just flat took the game from Miller Grove when Pitino walked in at halftime, they called 8 Fouls in a row and it was totally ridiculous. Then after you do that, make him put it on the floor to his left, yes he can dribble that way too, but you always keep him from coming back to his right. Everyone is guardable, you just have to watch their tendencies! Smile
Best post I've read all day! :Thumbs:
mountain hoops guru Wrote:The first thing and by far the most important thing is you have to get him out away from the 15th region officials that worship him and the rest of the Valley team. They just flat took the game from Miller Grove when Pitino walked in at halftime, they called 8 Fouls in a row and it was totally ridiculous. Then after you do that, make him put it on the floor to his left, yes he can dribble that way too, but you always keep him from coming back to his right. Everyone is guardable, you just have to watch their tendencies! Smile

There is another that wants to blame the refs. Just sat back and enjoy the ride because it is going to be a good one. GO BIG BLUE :flame:
I guess the referees helped Elisha dribble circles around all of Miller Grove's players and hit 5-5 threes in the 2nd half? It's a shame that people try to diminish his accomplishments, but that's human nature I guess.

Casual Observer Wrote:[quote=mountain hoops guru]The first thing and by far the most important thing is you have to get him out away from the 15th region officials that worship him and the rest of the Valley team. They just flat took the game from Miller Grove when Pitino walked in at halftime, they called 8 Fouls in a row and it was totally ridiculous. Then after you do that, make him put it on the floor to his left, yes he can dribble that way too, but you always keep him from coming back to his right. Everyone is guardable, you just have to watch their tendencies! Smile[/QUOTE

Creeker Wrote:Best post I've read all day! :Thumbs:

With some post names like Mountain Hoops Guru and Creeker you would think they would want the best for a boy from the mountains but that don't seem to be the case EJ must have done someone close to them the same way he did some of the boys from MG. Some are on here acting like the refs took it from MG by blowing the whistle, well I saw several instances that the boys from MG had saddles on Taylor, Tyler, Hatfield and Varney while rebounding the ball. It looked to me that alot of the fouls called on MG were reaching fouls caused while EJ was penetrating, it looked like they were having a very hard time trying to keep EJ in front of them(TRYING). Another thing when Pitino walked in it wasn't the refs that took the game from MG it was mainly EJ who got his shot to start going (and dominated this game)when he did the rest of SV's players picked it up also. I'm not saying he is unguardable but I'm saying you will have to wake up early to do so and I don't know if it will help if he is hitting from outside, so quit hating on someone that is a very talented player and an even better person. Shoot, Mountain Hoops Guru you make it sound like it would be easy or even you could guard him in your post.:please::yawn:
Umm nobody can guard him in the 14th and 15th region.
But trust me theres plenty of guards in the nation that are way faster and bigger and stronger. Just wait until he goes to UofL he will be the slowest player on the court during practice.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I don't know BCA. I seen Tyler Mullins play in the Johnson Central game and I seen the SV/Miller Grove game last night. Justice dribbled through the MG press like it was a cake walk. Even in the first half when he wasn't making his shots, he still dribbled through the full court press nicely. I don't think there's a team in EKY that can contain Justice. Teams in EKY just don't have the athletes to do this. Not even Knott Central, a top 20 team in the state.

Now your longer and athletic teams like Holmes, Eastern, Christian County, Ballard, and a few others could slow him down with that defensive strategy you're talking about. Holmes would be the best example. Using their big, tall guards, they could give Elisha fits if he tried to dribble through the press. Shelby Valley would have no other choice than to try to break the press with the pass. This will lead to turnovers because I don't see SV's other guards being capable of breaking a press like the 1-3-1 against a team like Holmes.

Miller Grove didn't run a 1-3-1 press last night. It was more of a 1-2-1-1 or 2-3 full-court press that had no effect on the way Elisha pushed the ball. Justice pushed the ball up the court and set up the half-court offense. This was the way SV played the whole night. But SV, particularly Justice just knocked their shots down in the second half.

I was talking about a 1-3-1 half-court zone. Not a full-court press.
monster_energy Wrote:Umm nobody can guard him in the 14th and 15th region.
But trust me theres plenty of guards in the nation that are way faster and bigger and stronger. Just wait until he goes to UofL he will be the slowest player on the court during practice.

I wouldn't say that. and this blaming the Refs thing, is getting old:flush:
2hard2guard Wrote:[quote=Casual Observer]

With some post names like Mountain Hoops Guru and Creeker you would think they would want the best for a boy from the mountains but that don't seem to be the case EJ must have done someone close to them the same way he did some of the boys from MG. Some are on here acting like the refs took it from MG by blowing the whistle, well I saw several instances that the boys from MG had saddles on Taylor, Tyler, Hatfield and Varney while rebounding the ball. It looked to me that alot of the fouls called on MG were reaching fouls caused while EJ was penetrating, it looked like they were having a very hard time trying to keep EJ in front of them(TRYING). Another thing when Pitino walked in it wasn't the refs that took the game from MG it was mainly EJ who got his shot to start going (and dominated this game)when he did the rest of SV's players picked it up also. I'm not saying he is unguardable but I'm saying you will have to wake up early to do so and I don't know if it will help if he is hitting from outside, so quit hating on someone that is a very talented player and an even better person. Shoot, Mountain Hoops Guru you make it sound like it would be easy or even you could guard him in your post.:please::yawn:

Didn't say anything bad about the kid, he is a great player and great kid. All I said was he didn't need any help. Yes he started to hit the 3 in the 2nd half, great for him, but the little ticky tack stuff that was not called the first half, suddenly started getting called putting them on the line and it surely wasn't the same on the other end, that is all that was meant by it. Sure you want to see a mountain kid do well, but would like it to be honestly, and when certain officials are on games, that don't happen, Miller Grove case in point.

And as for the last comment:
"Mountain Hoops Guru you make it sound like it would be easy or even you could guard him in your post"
I guarded much quicker and bigger guys them him and had no problems back in the day, thanks for asking. :biggrin:

mountain hoops guru Wrote:[quote=2hard2guard]

Didn't say anything bad about the kid, he is a great player and great kid. All I said was he didn't need any help. Yes he started to hit the 3 in the 2nd half, great for him, but the little ticky tack stuff that was not called the first half, suddenly started getting called putting them on the line and it surely wasn't the same on the other end, that is all that was meant by it. Sure you want to see a mountain kid do well, but would like it to be honestly, and when certain officials are on games, that don't happen, Miller Grove case in point.

And as for the last comment:
"Mountain Hoops Guru you make it sound like it would be easy or even you could guard him in your post"
I guarded much quicker and bigger guys them him and had no problems back in the day, thanks for asking. :biggrin:

Well from looking at the two post and here they are if you want them together, I'll agree you didn't say anything bad him but there are a few statements in your first post that are not even close to what you say you really meant. In response to the glory days, yea we all could do alot of things back in the day that we can't do now and if even if we couldn't, it don't hurt to always think we (could have)does it? we.Confusedhh:
Easy Answer: Move him to Louisville. Night in and night out, he'd be guarded. It's really that simple. Then perhaps unreal expectations and posts that will cause folks to find a reason to hack on the kid would cease. Then his skills would be seen for what they are. And that's not a knock on him at all. I'm sure he'd do well. But the 14th and 15th region ain't the basketball mecca that some might like to think.
NYY10 Wrote:I wouldn't say that. and this blaming the Refs thing, is getting old:flush:

i know he is a good player and he is very quick. but most of the players at louisville will have a extra gear them him and will be taller and stronger. if this wasnt the case they would have offered him instead of walking on. but he is a great player and he deserves being at UOFL i am not bashing him in any way i just think his not as fast and i know his not as big as any D1 point guards. the only thing he will have going for him is being smarter on the court when he gets to that level. he will just have to out smart people and play twice as hard!!
triplemaniaman Wrote:There is no guarding him.

Your best bet is to wake up beside him in the morning, guard him from the time he leaves his bed, until the time he enters the gym. If he goes to the bathroom, you go with him. If he goes to get some popcorn, you go with him.

:thatsfunn your best bet is too think before you make a statement like that. just because nobody can guard him in the 14th and 15th dosnt mean nobody at all can. see statements like this is what gets a kid bashed on. theres plenty of people that can guard him just not in this area.
:ChairHit:
loubballfan Wrote:Darrius Miller was guardable! Scotty Hopson was guardable!
These guys are at major D1 schools- on scholarship.

Justice is an excellent player but come over and play a 7th, 9th, or 11th region schedule and I guarantee you he has nights were he is very mortal!

I agree. JC, LC and Belfrey have kids more atheltic that could slow him down. Just put a saddle on him and ride him.

Justice is the best in the 15th, but that is not saying much, very weak Region. If Justice played regualrly with teams down state who had longer quicker guards he would be very gaurdable. This is why SV always has short runs in the State Tournament, the talent is much better down state.
OU812 Wrote:Easy Answer: Move him to Louisville. Night in and night out, he'd be guarded. It's really that simple. Then perhaps unreal expectations and posts that will cause folks to find a reason to hack on the kid would cease. Then his skills would be seen for what they are. And that's not a knock on him at all. I'm sure he'd do well. But the 14th and 15th region ain't the basketball mecca that some might like to think.

If all these kids in Louisville can guard him, why isn't Pitino recruiting them to play?
Larry Legend Wrote:Of course everyone is guardable, but our point is there aren't the same caliber athletes in the Eastern part of the state. Some of the Louisville schools have both the quickness and the length to guard him. Its just really tough for schools in this area to devise an executable game plan. He isn't invincible just really good. I think people do get a little carried away from time to time, but it has been a long time since Eastern KY has had a guard of his stature. Thats the only reason people get excited. Once he is gone, he is gone and there will be no more threads about the dominance of SV and Elisha Justice. Maybe the people that start these threads and post in them are just trying to live it up while they can. SV isn't the best team in the state, but they so have a shot at a state crown and teams like that don't come around very often. SV fans are just trying to live it up while they can. Same as Elliott last season. These players come and go in the blink of any eye.
Excellent post, Larry Legend, you echo a lot of SV supporters opinion.
Im not sayin he is the best player in the state, but come on guys give the kid some love. He can play and has proved it many times. He is guardable every one is even Jordan. But he has proved he can play in outta state tourneys and aau ball. Pitino is a much better talent scout that every one on this site and he seems to think the kid can play with the big east so Im gonna go with him. He has coached more national champs than all of us on this site combined.
2hard2guard Wrote:With some post names like Mountain Hoops Guru and Creeker you would think they would want the best for a boy from the mountains but that don't seem to be the case EJ must have done someone close to them the same way he did some of the boys from MG. Some are on here acting like the refs took it from MG by blowing the whistle, well I saw several instances that the boys from MG had saddles on Taylor, Tyler, Hatfield and Varney while rebounding the ball. It looked to me that alot of the fouls called on MG were reaching fouls caused while EJ was penetrating, it looked like they were having a very hard time trying to keep EJ in front of them(TRYING). Another thing when Pitino walked in it wasn't the refs that took the game from MG it was mainly EJ who got his shot to start going (and dominated this game)when he did the rest of SV's players picked it up also. I'm not saying he is unguardable but I'm saying you will have to wake up early to do so and I don't know if it will help if he is hitting from outside, so quit hating on someone that is a very talented player and an even better person. Shoot, Mountain Hoops Guru you make it sound like it would be easy or even you could guard him in your post.:please::yawn:
I was just saying that Mountain Hoops Guru made some very good points! Make him go to his left and things change, gets some neutral refs and things change. Not taking anything away from the kid at all, just agreeing with some very valid points. Is he the best in the 15th, no doubt. :notworthy
Nope... can't guard him. He is the greatest player KY has ever seen... give me a break.
pillsburythrowboy Wrote:Im not sayin he is the best player in the state, but come on guys give the kid some love. He can play and has proved it many times. He is guardable every one is even Jordan. But he has proved he can play in outta state tourneys and aau ball. Pitino is a much better talent scout that every one on this site and he seems to think the kid can play with the big east so Im gonna go with him. He has coached more national champs than all of us on this site combined.

He's a walk-on- that's not being recruited in my book. If Pitino thought he could play in the Big East, a scholarship would be there. He will make a heck of a practice player, running the opposing teams sets. Also, he keeps Pitino looking good in the eyes of the KY faithful for keeping a local kid. Look at the StX kid who walked on a few years ago, I think he quit because he never really got in so hopefully Justice will prove me wrong but as other posters have said, he would be in a group of several guards mentioned in the Louisville area as top players but I don't believe he stands out in Louisville.
Well, someone from Miller Grove guarded him perfect in the 1st half of that game because he only had 5 points, maybe we should ask them how they did it. lol
There is other players with just as much talent as him, but its not seen as often. I have to say Justice puts his heart into each game and its clear to see that he gives it a 100% all the time.
I agree with a previous post he is a good player, but he's not perfect. Besides how old is he?? does anyone know?? Smile

I also agree with "loubballfan"..a scholarship wasn't offered. Pinito didn't come looking for him. He went as a walk on. But I do hope that he goes far with his career in basketball because he is talented.
triplemaniaman Wrote:There is no guarding him.

Quotes like this is exactly why most people who know anything about this great game of basketball think SV supporters are near sighted and can't see the real picture here. Justice is a really nice player. Seems to work very hard at his craft and everyone that I've spoken with tells me he is a really good kid. There is no way possible he will ever be able to live up to some of your expetations. No one could. He can be guarded period. It's not rocket science. I don't think you can shut him down but you can sure take him out of his game and make him work for anything he gets. A good defensive player would make him miserable before the first quarter is finished. It's called man to man defense. Coaches should learn to teach it. It's not that hard. No one likes to play D today the way teams played man to man 10 years ago. He'll run into someone soon that will have enough pride in themselves and their team to body him and deny him and make him work harder than he ever has, it's coming. Let's get one thing straight, if EJ was as good as you say he is, where are all the D-1 offers. I'm not takling Prefered Walk-On status, I'm talking about legit D-1 offers. Anyone that can't be guarded certainly deserves a few offers. This kind of remindes me of the Slone kid from Paintsville. While he was playing his Sr year the boards were full of posters claiming offers from several D-1 schools, but the truth is that he had not one offer from a D-1. With all this said I don't want to sound like I'm disrespecting EJ because it's certainly not the case. I just get so tired of reading post's that are completely ignorant.
kyrifle Wrote:Quotes like this is exactly why most people who know anything about this great game of basketball think SV supporters are near sighted and can't see the real picture here. Justice is a really nice player. Seems to work very hard at his craft and everyone that I've spoken with tells me he is a really good kid. There is no way possible he will ever be able to live up to some of your expetations. No one could. He can be guarded period. It's not rocket science. I don't think you can shut him down but you can sure take him out of his game and make him work for anything he gets. A good defensive player would make him miserable before the first quarter is finished. It's called man to man defense. Coaches should learn to teach it. It's not that hard. No one likes to play D today the way teams played man to man 10 years ago. He'll run into someone soon that will have enough pride in themselves and their team to body him and deny him and make him work harder than he ever has, it's coming. Let's get one thing straight, if EJ was as good as you say he is, where are all the D-1 offers. I'm not takling Prefered Walk-On status, I'm talking about legit D-1 offers. Anyone that can't be guarded certainly deserves a few offers. This kind of remindes me of the Slone kid from Paintsville. While he was playing his Sr year the boards were full of posters claiming offers from several D-1 schools, but the truth is that he had not one offer from a D-1. With all this said I don't want to sound like I'm disrespecting EJ because it's certainly not the case. I just get so tired of reading post's that are completely ignorant.

He has 3 or 4. Jacksonville, EKU, Army that I know of for sure. Pretty sure it was stated on here that Army's coach wants Elisha to step right in and play point for him the next 4 years.
kyrifle Wrote:Quotes like this is exactly why most people who know anything about this great game of basketball think SV supporters are near sighted and can't see the real picture here. Justice is a really nice player. Seems to work very hard at his craft and everyone that I've spoken with tells me he is a really good kid. There is no way possible he will ever be able to live up to some of your expetations. No one could. He can be guarded period. It's not rocket science. I don't think you can shut him down but you can sure take him out of his game and make him work for anything he gets. A good defensive player would make him miserable before the first quarter is finished. It's called man to man defense. Coaches should learn to teach it. It's not that hard. No one likes to play D today the way teams played man to man 10 years ago. He'll run into someone soon that will have enough pride in themselves and their team to body him and deny him and make him work harder than he ever has, it's coming. Let's get one thing straight, if EJ was as good as you say he is, where are all the D-1 offers. I'm not takling Prefered Walk-On status, I'm talking about legit D-1 offers. Anyone that can't be guarded certainly deserves a few offers. This kind of remindes me of the Slone kid from Paintsville. While he was playing his Sr year the boards were full of posters claiming offers from several D-1 schools, but the truth is that he had not one offer from a D-1. With all this said I don't want to sound like I'm disrespecting EJ because it's certainly not the case. I just get so tired of reading post's that are completely ignorant.
Yep, you are exactly right. Haven't read ANYWHERE were that he has been offered a D-1 Scholarship, heard different teams were "looking" at him, but no real offers. Let's get real folks... he, like slone, is a great player in eastern, ky, but outside of this area he is just another player.
set09 Wrote:Pinito didn't come looking for him.

Actually, Pitino has been to Pike County twice.

And as for projecting his future at the next level... Justice's game is desirable for college coaches more for his ability to handle the ball and run a team than it is for his ability to score. I will trust the D1 coaches who have offered Justice (along with Pitino's walk-on offer) over anyone here or even myself as to whether or not he has D1 talent. They see it everyday, and we don't. If they believe he can play, then that carries more weight than any opinion on here.
The King Wrote:Actually, Pitino has been to Pike County twice.

And as for projecting his future at the next level... Justice's game is desirable for college coaches more for his ability to handle the ball and run a team than it is for his ability to score. I will trust the D1 coaches who have offered Justice (along with Pitino's walk-on offer) over anyone here or even myself as to whether or not he has D1 talent. They see it everyday, and we don't. If they believe he can play, then that carries more weight than any opinion on here.