Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If UK Beats UCONN??.....
I was doing some research on ESPN.COM this morning and I noticed something interesting. UCONN is a big game for us, if we beat them then that would allow us to move up in the rankings but also give us 9-0 record with beating two top 15 teams in basically a week. The next several games are to teams that are not in the top 25 or even near it. Indiana would be the closest challenge until the in-state rival game Louisville on Jan. 2nd. So if we beat UCONN, (which i am praying we will), it is a great possible chance that we will play Louisville with a 14-0 record and if we beat them then 15-0 going into conference play. How amazing would that be? When was the last time Kentucky did that?
Yeah, i know its awesome! I think that if we do beat Connecticut that we deserve to be ranked #1 because none of the three teams ahead of us even have a win like UNC on their resume! So with two wins over Top 15 teams we DESERVE it!

As far as going into SEC play undefeated i don't remember the last time we did that but i know in the 02-03 season we went undefeated in the SEC and 32-4 overall losing to Marquette in the Elite 8!!
last time Kentucky started 10-0 was the 92-93 team, that team also if im not mistaking played UNC and Indiana both with in the first 10 games of the season...That would have been if im not mistaking Mashburns freshman year...
don't know about coming into the sec undefeated but the 1996 team did go undefeated in the sec and became the first team to do that in 40 years. I don't know if anyone else has done that since.
that 92-93 team went 30-4 but i can't remember who all the losses were. one was in the ncaa tournament i think.
96 team finished 34-2 and one the title revenging one loss to coach cals umass in the semis. The cats lost to miss state in the sec tourney in 96
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:don't know about coming into the sec undefeated but the 1996 team did go undefeated in the sec and became the first team to do that in 40 years. I don't know if anyone else has done that since.

Like I said the 02-03 team went undefeated in the SEC and 32-4 overall with losses to Virginia, Michigan State, Louisville, and Marquette. I believe it was Keith Bogans' senior season. Starting 5 was: Keith Bogans, Gerald Fitch, Marquis Estill, Erik Daniels, and Chuck Hayes.
leecoukfan Wrote:Like I said the 02-03 team went undefeated in the SEC and 32-4 overall with losses to Virginia, Michigan State, Louisville, and Marquette. I believe it was Keith Bogans' senior season. Starting 5 was: Keith Bogans, Gerald Fitch, Marquis Estill, Erik Daniels, and Chuck Hayes.
i knew 02-03 did that i was just mentioning some of the stuff done before many on here was even old enough to know what basketball was. the op wanted to know when the last time uk won all out of conference games before entering the sec.
leecoukfan Wrote:Like I said the 02-03 team went undefeated in the SEC and 32-4 overall with losses to Virginia, Michigan State, Louisville, and Marquette. I believe it was Keith Bogans' senior season. Starting 5 was: Keith Bogans, Gerald Fitch, Marquis Estill, Erik Daniels, and Chuck Hayes.

I thought cliff hawkins started. Maybe im just wrong though
Wildcatk23 Wrote:I thought cliff hawkins started. Maybe im just wrong though

No, that was his Junior year and he only started 1 game.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:last time Kentucky started 10-0 was the 92-93 team, that team also if im not mistaking played UNC and Indiana both with in the first 10 games of the season...That would have been if im not mistaking Mashburns freshman year...

They also won all their non-conference regular season games.
i think personally we will beat uconn
leecoukfan Wrote:They also won all their non-conference regular season games.

thank you for that...that same 92-93 team lost in the Final Four to Mich. who would eventually lose to UNC in the National Finals 77-71 and garnered Dean Smith's first national championship
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:that 92-93 team went 30-4 but i can't remember who all the losses were. one was in the ncaa tournament i think.

That team was the last team to enter the SEC undefeated (9-0), and won 11 straight games to start the season.
They went 13-3 in conference play. the Losses where to TN, Vandy, and Arkansas, and of course the 4th loss came in the final four to Michigan.
In that case that would have been Mash's sophomore season, I think? I believe he fouled out in the loss to Michigan if I'm not mistaken.