Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iverson is set to retire from the NBA
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20091...om+the+NBA

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Allen Iverson is set to retire from the NBA, according to an online report.

Stephen A. Smith published a statement on his Web site Wednesday attributed to Iverson. It said Iverson plans to retire but also that "I feel strongly that I can still compete at the highest level."

The statement also said Iverson has tremendous love for the game and the desire to play.

he statement also said Iverson has tremendous love for the game and the desire to play.

The 10-time All-Star played three games this season with Memphis before taking a leave of absence to attend to personal matters. He was waived after the two sides agreed to part ways.

It was the second straight ugly ending for Iverson, who was unhappy last season playing for the Pistons. He was upset that Detroit coach Michael Curry and Memphis' Lionel Hollins used the former MVP as a reserve.

The New York Knicks considered signing Iverson last week after he cleared waivers, before deciding he would take too much playing time away from younger players they are trying to develop.

The Knicks seemed to be the only team who would consider bringing in Iverson, so there was no guarantee he'd play in the NBA this season, anyway. Still, the announcement Wednesday came as a surprise to George Karl, who coached Iverson in Denver.

"I think he still has something left to give some team out there. If that's his decision, he'll go down in history, I think, as the greatest little guard ever to play the game of basketball," Karl said.

"I was happy to have him for a couple years and hopefully our paths will cross. But I have a sneaky feeling that somewhere along the way an injury or a circumstance with a team will open that window back up."

One of the NBA's great scorers, Iverson entered this season with a career average of 27.1 points that ranked fifth all time. Yet there was almost no interest in him this summer before he went to the Grizzlies on a one-year deal.

Iverson can still score, as he averaged 17.4 points with the Pistons last season. Yet he has made it clear he doesn't view himself as a backup, which has likely hurt his chances of signing with a contending team.

The 6-foot guard thanked former players and coaches in the statement, plus the fans in Memphis and Philadelphia, where he spent his best years. He said stepping away would allow him to spend more time with his wife and kids.

He also said he thought he could still play.

"I always thought that when I left the game, it would be because I couldn't help my team the way that I was accustomed to," it read. "However, that is not the case."

Messages were left for Iverson's agent, Leon Rose, and his business manager, Gary Moore.

If this is the end for Iverson, he leaves with four scoring titles and a playoff scoring average of 29.7 points that ranks second only to Michael Jordan. He led the 76ers to the 2001 NBA finals but never won a championship.

Or he could choose to wait and see if a team in need of a scorer comes looking for him later this season.

"I don't ever believe anyone retires until they get to the point they have to," Boston coach Doc Rivers said. "He had a great career if it is true, but I still think he has more to offer."
Glad to see him gone. I always thought he and players like him were the reason the NBA lost popularity.
Eh, he hasn't been the same since he left Philly. I think he's just mad cause no team wants him. He needed to learn that he isn't the scorer he once was. He is best when he comes off the bench.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Glad to see him gone. I always thought he and players like him were the reason the NBA lost popularity.

Players like iverson are icons. There the reason the NBA gained popularity.

Protect_This_House26 Wrote:Eh, he hasn't been the same since he left Philly. I think he's just mad cause no team wants him. He needed to learn that he isn't the scorer he once was. He is best when he comes off the bench.

NO he doesnt do better coming off the bench. This guy could easily start for more than half the teams in the NBA. He will be back. He's like brett favre Smile

If this is the end for Iverson, he leaves with four scoring titles and a playoff scoring average of 29.7 points that ranks second only to Michael Jordan. He led the 76ers to the 2001 NBA finals BY HIMSELF I MIGHT ADD but never won a championship.

He has never had the help that Kobe, Lebron, has had. Allen Iverson Was and is still a great basketball player that can score when he wants. He Shall Return Smile
I truly love Iverson, he's amazing. I wish he'd sign with Cleveland, instead of retiring.
I don't see him going some where to play a supporting roll. He would want to be the man.
Steven A. Smith mentioned Cleveland, Lakers, and Spurs. I'm not saying he can't help these teams, I don't think his ego would let him. If one of these team looses their main guy due to injury then it might be worth bringing him on.
AI will be remembered as one of the greatest scoring "small" guards that the game has ever known. I enjoyed watching him in Philly, but was never enthralled with the guy. He is one of those selfish, ballhog players that NEVER would have succeeded in an offense that either: 1. Had a dominate inside game 2. Had another #1 caliber player.

He proved that his style would not work when he went to Denver. Denver had the makings of a great team but needed a true point guard. The Nuggets management "Thought" they were getting a PG with AI. Instead they got a ballhog that could not set-up other players. So what happened, they traded him to the Pistons for Billups. Denver gets a true team-player who plays defense and sets up his other players for success. Denver is now one of the best teams in the NBA.

AI goes to Detroit, one of the greatest "team" oriented cohesive units that we have ever seen, and he singlehandedly destroyed that teams chemistry.

He goes to Memphis, where they have a player who needs the ball in his hands, OJ Mayo, and AI just doesn't fit.

Will he wind up back in the NBA, yes. Why - because he still draws. God forbid that a team like the Cavaliers are stupid enough to bring him in - Look at what he did to Denver and Detroit. AI will never succeed in a team oriented offense, or one where he does not have the ball in his hands. Can anyone in their right mind think that AI fits in Cleveland where Lebron has the ball in his hands 75% of the time once they cross half-court?????
Is he retiring, or "practicing" retiring?? LOL. IMO, just one more less thug in the NBA. I respect his abilities, but not the attitude. The whole "Practice" interview did it for me. 27.5 times he used the word "practice". I told a friend of mine, who is a big A.I fan, that I was going to get him an A.I. Fathead for Christmas. It has him in a sitting position.LOL.:lmao:
eagle dad 2014 Wrote:Is he retiring, or "practicing" retiring?? LOL. IMO, just one more less thug in the NBA. I respect his abilities, but not the attitude. The whole "Practice" interview did it for me. 27.5 times he used the word "practice". I told a friend of mine, who is a big A.I fan, that I was going to get him an A.I. Fathead for Christmas. It has him in a sitting position.LOL.:lmao:

The "HEAD" on the fathead would not fit on his wall :biggrin:
Stardust you mentioned that it was all iversons fault for the pistons troubles last year? Well how come they still suck?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Stardust you mentioned that it was all iversons fault for the pistons troubles last year? Well how come they still suck?

Two things. Billups leaving was the biggest thing. Billups was everthing that AI was not - A team Builder! Billups made this team play as a unit. They had good, not great players that knew how to work as ONE!

AI came in and and made the one - HIMSELF! He singlehandidly changed the focus of this unit from selfless to selfish. Though Rasheed always made himself a center of attention, he began competing with AI for that attention. Rip hated playing with AI, became so discontented that he began playing outside of the way he normally played. Rip has always been a guy to come off screens for the open pass and shot. With AI, the pass never came!

Tayshaun is a role player that fed off of the teamwork of this team. When the teamwork disappeared, Tayshaun became the lone bright spot, but still did not excel when he was part of the unit versus him having to create for himself.

Billups is gone, Rasheed is gone, the heart and soul of this team was ripped out by AI and his style of play. The Pistons of old are DONE!
Stardust Wrote:Two things. Billups leaving was the biggest thing. Billups was everthing that AI was not - A team Builder! Billups made this team play as a unit. They had good, not great players that knew how to work as ONE!

AI came in and and made the one - HIMSELF! He singlehandidly changed the focus of this unit from selfless to selfish. Though Rasheed always made himself a center of attention, he began competing with AI for that attention. Rip hated playing with AI, became so discontented that he began playing outside of the way he normally played. Rip has always been a guy to come off screens for the open pass and shot. With AI, the pass never came!

Tayshaun is a role player that fed off of the teamwork of this team. When the teamwork disappeared, Tayshaun became the lone bright spot, but still did not excel when he was part of the unit versus him having to create for himself.

Billups is gone, Rasheed is gone, the heart and soul of this team was ripped out by AI and his style of play. The Pistons of old are DONE!

The Soul left when billups left, Not when AI came in.

Rip became jealous when asked to come off the bench by the pistons, Ever hear of someone else doing this???? Iverson but nothing was made of Rips comments on the matter.

Tayshaun is a role player, Agreed. Tayshaun couldn't extend his game with iverson playing but he was also injury prone. The team lacked a point guard. Thats not what iverson is. The pistons knew that and still brought him in.

When billups left the heart and soul of this team was crushed. The Once dominate east force was split up for good. I Mean Rip Cried. Come On. First Ben Wallace, Then Billups, Soon hopefully Prince. You cant blame Iverson for the pistons not even trying to win last year.
I am not sad to see him go.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:The Soul left when billups left, Not when AI came in.

Rip became jealous when asked to come off the bench by the pistons, Ever hear of someone else doing this???? Iverson but nothing was made of Rips comments on the matter.

Tayshaun is a role player, Agreed. Tayshaun couldn't extend his game with iverson playing but he was also injury prone. The team lacked a point guard. Thats not what iverson is. The pistons knew that and still brought him in.

When billups left the heart and soul of this team was crushed. The Once dominate east force was split up for good. I Mean Rip Cried. Come On. First Ben Wallace, Then Billups, Soon hopefully Prince. You cant blame Iverson for the pistons not even trying to win last year.

Seems like if AI was such the great "team" guy, he would have been able to put the SOUL back into the Pistons, instead, he killed it - EXACTLY WHAT HE HAD JUST DID AT DENVER!

So come on, let's be real here WCK23, AI spells bad charma - Denver - check, Detroit - Check, Memphis - Check!!!!!
Stardust Wrote:Seems like if AI was such the great "team" guy, he would have been able to put the SOUL back into the Pistons, instead, he killed it - EXACTLY WHAT HE HAD JUST DID AT DENVER!

So come on, let's be real here WCK23, AI spells bad charma - Denver - check, Detroit - Check, Memphis - Check!!!!!

Your Blaming AI for the problems in detroit and it wasnt his fault. They brought in a SCORING guard and expected him to become a pass first guard. Bad Thinking.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Your Blaming AI for the problems in detroit and it wasnt his fault. They brought in a SCORING guard and expected him to become a pass first guard. Bad Thinking.

Yep, just like it was bad to bring AI to Denver and Memphis, same things happened at those places. All have the same person that caused the issues.....
Stardust Wrote:So come on, let's be real here WCK23, AI spells bad charma - Denver - check, Detroit - Check, Memphis - Check!!!!!

Philadelphia....NBA Finals apperance...........check! :biggrin:
Stardust Wrote:Yep, just like it was bad to bring AI to Denver and Memphis, same things happened at those places. All have the same person that caused the issues.....

You keep saying memphis? What kind of chemistry did this team had before iverson was there? how did iverson harm this team in anyway what so ever.
A what was one of the talented point guards that came into the league. For those that remember A.I.'s earlier days he was a modern "John Wall".

During his first years in the league never really had to rely on a jump shot or work on his game on account of his speed from end to end. A troubled past off the court and really during his later years transformed his game to a more of a catch and shoot type player.

Not one of the popular players in the league yet, at 5"11" and 180 did not ever back down from taking the "pill" to the bucket
Wildcatk23 Wrote:You keep saying memphis? What kind of chemistry did this team had before iverson was there? how did iverson harm this team in anyway what so ever.

Two things - one you, have yet to say what impact AI had on Denver, not yet admitting that it was AI that took a promising team, who had won more games before he got there, went south with a thud. He, all of things, missed practices.

Don't you recall the reason my AI was sent home after his third game????? Early on at Memphis, during workout, when AI started complaining about how he was being used. That he needed the ball in his hand (instead of the future for the Grizzlies, Mayo and Conley), and saying he was not a 10 PPG guy, he still had something to offer that was more than what he came there for. And when caoch Lionel Hollins asked AI to come off picks and screens, AI's reply was I'm better than this - that's when the Grizz told AI maybe he should go back home. They nipped it early, but his attitude from the get go, after being signed by a team that said they had guy's that would be scorers, instead he made it about him!
i dont think iverson should retire he has a couple of good years left.