Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville 2010
I see Young and Fast with Randy Maynard in the QB slot
Right now there isn't much I can say about Pikeville. I still think they are a clear favorite to win district, but ask me again in February, and it might get better.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
With all the county schools building their programs to a higher level, I don't see county students going to Pikeville in mass numbers, as they did in the past. The county schools are starting to grow in population, and with the greater numbers, the class A teams are few and far in between, the better competition is in the county school system, and who wouldn't rather play against the better teams in class 2A, and 3A??? Just a though?
If...Then Wrote:I see Young and Fast with Randy Maynard in the QB slot
I see the same thing. One thing is for sure, he will be an impact player on both sides of the ball.
Glad to see Ross MCoy returning next year. This young man is a hard runner and does a great job at linebacker.
Not to mention Taylor Ratliff. All over the field!
Not sure who all the Panthers return except McCoy,Ratliff,Staggs and Maynard, but hopefully all the sophmores and juniors on this years past team will use the motivation of getting beat by Harlan to work hard in the off season and take the program back where it belongs
PC (9-2) 2009 Wrote:With all the county schools building their programs to a higher level, I don't see county students going to Pikeville in mass numbers, as they did in the past. The county schools are starting to grow in population, and with the greater numbers, the class A teams are few and far in between, the better competition is in the county school system, and who wouldn't rather play against the better teams in class 2A, and 3A??? Just a though?

Aside from Belfry, that's the only county school rich with tradition in football, not taking anything away from Valley or PCC, they both had great years in football and were no doubt the best teams eithier school has ever had in football, but if I were a county student looking to play ball I would still choose Pikeville or Belfry no doubt, gotta go with the schools with tradition already, don't get me wrong PCC and Valley are up and coming good schools but they need a couple good consecutive winning seasons to be considered good year in and year out programs, plenty of schools will have a great year or two out of no where then sink right back to where they were before then
The Tackett twins recieved valuable experience this season, only to be even more valuable next season.
the watcher Wrote:Not sure who all the Panthers return except McCoy,Ratliff,Staggs and Maynard, but hopefully all the sophmores and juniors on this years past team will use the motivation of getting beat by Harlan to work hard in the off season and take the program back where it belongs

imo, this will def. be a motivator for next yr. Your right, this group of Soph. & Juniors will learn from this loss & they will be a factor next season.
IMO, the elementary kids is where a strong program is to be established, and I do support PCC, and Mullins, and I see almost every day kids from other schools transfer to Mullins. Pikeville has been the biggest supplier to the Mullins School as well as Johns Creek, but JC is a feeder to Pike Central anyway...With the facilities we are starting to get on the hill-top and the School being ranked 13th in the state in studies, why over look the choice to become a member of a growing tradition? Pikeville High has "Many" kids in the sports program that live in the PCC district, but that is their choice to go where they choose, all I'm saying is single A has hit this region as it has most every where else, not being as well equipted to compete with schools with more kids to choose from...Look at Louisville, Lexington...Why are they so good on a annual bases????? More numbers to choose from.... Pikeville has a great tradition, but could see a decline in enrollment, which could hurt their seasons to come.....
Every 1A team has down years, even Beechwood, not every class has great athletes, so it's expected to be down from time to time, Pikeville has one of the smallest enrollments in the state anyways and has had for a while but that's never stopped them from turning out great teams, if the numbers do decline however it could effect them
Pikeville best class is this years sophomore's but they had 3 freshman football players this year. To almost lose a whole class of players is hard on a football program. Pikeville is rebuilding now and 2 years down the road they will have a good senior class then the program will nosedive again.
pikecountyfootball Wrote:Pikeville best class is this years sophomore's but they had 3 freshman football players this year. To almost lose a whole class of players is hard on a football program. Pikeville is rebuilding now and 2 years down the road they will have a good senior class then the program will nosedive again.

They have a Sophomore class of 16. About 11 can produce points. You are right about the nosedive. Below their class, athletics is like a mall up Caney creek. LOL
Pikeville needs to get stronger, tougher and improve on the line. I'll say this they have the coach that can turn around the program, but it will take time.
Im really counting 2010 as Ben first real season as Panther head coach. Being that Copley was fired kindve late in the game last year and Ben couldnt get here to oversee off season conditioining until after the school year was over. From what Ive been told our off season conditioning is receiving a much needed overhaul which is welcomed by me and tons of others in the community. I think you will see a much stronger team up front next year.
The line will decide on weather games are won this year. They've got the talent and speed, but just need good blocking
Is it true that Pikeville is losing kids fomr the middle school?
If Ben can get the middle school program the way it use to be, that will help them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Agreed, Ben will take good care of them in the offseason but he needs to develope the little league and middle school programs as well, I was told a few weeks back that Hillard may possibly retire at Letcher and come help at Pikeville as Bens assistant, anyone else heard this? If so, id say give Pikeville 3-4 years to get some new talent and the community back into the program and Pikeville will be back to where it belongs
Don't know, if there is a decision, I wish he would make it, so the staff at LCC would be complete before spring practice in March.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote:Don't know, if there is a decision, I wish he would make it, so the staff at LCC would be complete before spring practice in March.

Agreed, its always rough on a program starting spring practice without a real coach
the watcher Wrote:Agreed, Ben will take good care of them in the offseason but he needs to develope the little league and middle school programs as well, I was told a few weeks back that Hillard may possibly retire at Letcher and come help at Pikeville as Bens assistant, anyone else heard this? If so, id say give Pikeville 3-4 years to get some new talent and the community back into the program and Pikeville will be back to where it belongs

There are 2 things going around. That and he is moving to Florida, but i don't believe he will. If Hillard returns, the program will go at a steeper slope upward. He is a tough coach, people will quit, but thats what gave the program such a great reputation. Yes, the little league and middle school programs have been really strugging the past 2 years and that wont get your program anywhere.

2009 Jr. High - 21 players
2008 Jr. High - 12
2007 Jr. High - 33
2006 Jr. High - 30

2005 Jr. High - 28

The 2007 team was this years Sophomores 8th grade year, finished 8-2. The 2006 is of course the Juniors, finished 11-2. Both teams lost to Belfry in County. Notice these two grades consist of all the impact players this season.

So the 2010 season will be the big test of what has become over the years. I see them being pretty tough, around here their only close contender will be of course, Belfry. After the 2012 class graduates, unless the Howards get truck loads out, PHS football could see some darkness. And we all know the community doesn't want that. Since they "support us so much and all" :HitWall:
Why such a contrast (drop) in numbers from 07 season to 08 ?? Looks like these numbers would stay more consistant. The little league program has got to be successful for the future of Pikeville Football.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Im really counting 2010 as Ben first real season as Panther head coach. Being that Copley was fired kindve late in the game last year and Ben couldnt get here to oversee off season conditioining until after the school year was over. From what Ive been told our off season conditioning is receiving a much needed overhaul which is welcomed by me and tons of others in the community. I think you will see a much stronger team up front next year.

Agree 100%. The off season program being "Beefed-UP" is definitely welcomed & coming none to soon.
the watcher Wrote:Agreed, Ben will take good care of them in the offseason but he needs to develope the little league and middle school programs as well, I was told a few weeks back that Hillard may possibly retire at Letcher and come help at Pikeville as Bens assistant, anyone else heard this? If so, id say give Pikeville 3-4 years to get some new talent and the community back into the program and Pikeville will be back to where it belongs

Heard the same thing over the weekend. :Thumbs:
Big Five-0- Wrote:Why such a contrast (drop) in numbers from 07 season to 08 ?? Looks like these numbers would stay more consistant. The little league program has got to be successful for the future of Pikeville Football.

Cause the grades below the Sophomore class have way smaller, weaker, and less athletic kids. None of them can stick it out
If...Then Wrote:Cause the grades below the Sophomore class have way smaller, weaker, and less athletic kids. None of them can stick it out

Those are some big words from someone that doesn't even play football! You get on here every day and spout off about this and that but we will never see you on the field. Why is that? Is it because you are scared? Is it because you love XBOX so much? Or do you just care so much about Pikeville athletics that you expect them to get better without the help of the kids in the school? Get on the field and prove yourself or be a waste like the others!
hammertime Wrote:Those are some big words from someone that doesn't even play football! You get on here every day and spout off about this and that but we will never see you on the field. Why is that? Is it because you are scared? Is it because you love XBOX so much? Or do you just care so much about Pikeville athletics that you expect them to get better without the help of the kids in the school? Get on the field and prove yourself or be a waste like the others!

The kid can't play punk. It's called being KHSAA ineligible if you haven't heard sweetie pie. Why would anyone even want to play the way the programs been going?
mullinstiger55 Wrote:The kid can't play punk. It's called being KHSAA ineligible if you haven't heard sweetie pie. Why would anyone even want to play the way the programs been going?

Awwww......Did I hit a sore spot for you baby doll? If him or his parents pushed the issue Garris would cave right in and try to get him eligible. Win or lose, football builds character, that's why I would want my kid(s) to play. It is about becoming a disciplined and well rounded man. Football helps shape young men into men. If you don't want your son to become a man then let him stay on the side while life passes him by.