Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charlie Weis' boss at Notre Dame: Decision within a week after season
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story...NHeadlines

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- No decision has been made yet regarding the future of Notre Dame football coach Charlie Weis, according to athletic director Jack Swarbrick.

Swarbrick, one of two men who will decide Weis' future, said Thursday that he expects to make an announcement about whether to keep Weis within about a week after the season ends.

"I don't have a timetable," Swarbrick said. "Last year, it was within a week of the regular season."

As for what influences the decision, Swarbrick said: "It's more art than science. It's an overall impression. Every situation is different."

He added that a number of factors are considered in the process. Performance on the field, academic performance of the team and recruiting are among the things he will consider.

Swarbrick said he and university president Rev. John I. Jenkins are the only two involved in the ultimate decision.

Swarbrick said he already has started this year's evaluation of Weis. He said he begins to focus on it during the last four weeks or last third of the season.
Asked how much of an impact Notre Dame's last two games could have on the decision about Weis, Swarbrick said, "We don't isolate any game or games."

When asked what his biggest disappointment has been this season, Swarbrick took a long pause, then said, "the Navy outcome."

Notre Dame had a 6-2 record going into the game against Navy on Nov. 7, but lost 23-21. It was the second loss to Navy under Weis in the past three years.

Being in contention to play in a BCS bowl game was a clear expectation for Swarbrick heading into this season. He said the Fighting Irish had been in good position to attain that goal, and were "building nice momentum" before the Navy loss.

"Up until the Navy game we were in the BCS conversation," Swarbrick said. "We didn't see that one coming."

Swarbrick gets frequent e-mails and letters from fans and alumni. Asked how much support there is for Weis among those e-mails and letters, Swarbrick said, "I'm not in a position to quantify it."

Swarbrick said comments about the Notre Dame football program in public forums, such as message boards or newspapers, tend to be from critics. "I wish the tenor and nature of some of that stuff would be different than it is," he said. "It's great that they're writing about us.

"What comes to me is more balanced," he said. "A lot of people write in a supportive way."

Swarbrick said he speaks with Weis "all the time" but has not yet talked with Weis -- whom he also praised for his dedication to Notre Dame -- about his future there.

"His love of the institution is about as high as it gets," Swarbrick said. "He's extraordinarily generous. He cares about his kids. He's never been anything but cordial and professional in our relationship."
Im sorry but I think its time for Charlie to go. He has had talent and hasnt produced what they wanted, it was a great hire at the time but just didnt work out. Their best option would be youre boy Stardust, Brian Kelly. Im not sure on his contract situation but isnt it up after this year?
Time for ND to "cut the fat" out of their athletic department budget.

The Notre Dame AD has "a lot weighing on his mind".

Notre Dame set to announce "Massive Overhaul"

Notre Dame may be making a "ton of changes" soon.

Sorry couldn't resist...
I remember a song that goes like this.....
Na na na naaaa....na na na naaaa....HEY! HEY! HEY! GOOOODBYYYYYYEEEE...

See ya Charlie. Hello Urban.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
UKsportsfan Wrote:Im sorry but I think its time for Charlie to go. He has had talent and hasnt produced what they wanted, it was a great hire at the time but just didnt work out. Their best option would be youre boy Stardust, Brian Kelly. Im not sure on his contract situation but isnt it up after this year?

Kelly can get out of his contract (As can all coaches). All the talk out of South bend reporters - that get filtered to Cincinnati - is that if ND pulls the trigger, the are prepared to make Kelly their #1 option. Urban Meyer is still a name tossed around, but there does not seem to be much interest from the Meyer camp to make the change.
It is harder for ND, to be the way they use to be. There isn't that many kids out there right now that play sports that put school #1. ND is one of the hardest school to get into out there. Last year was there first bowl win since the early 90's.
On the other hand, i can see were ND is coming from. With 18 titles to there names. Is there any good coaches out there right now. If they are, they should get another one. But if not they should keep him until a better one come along.
The Athletic Director will be evaluatin the football program and the direction it's goin in, not just Weiss in particular. Atleast that's what he said last week in a press conference before the Pitt game. He said that's how they do it every year with every sport. It's not the coaches they evaluate, it's the athletic program itself. With that bein said, the program is mediocre.

cj2561 brings up a VERY good point. ND is one of the toughest school's academically, not to mention it is VERY VERY hard to get into, there's not very many kids out there who could get into school at ND, let alone make the grades to stay eligible. Had I been big enough and athletic enough, and had the grades and ACT/SAT scores to get in to ND, I wouldn't have went and I'm a DIE HARD Notre Dame fan, lol. I played at Pikeville College and that was like havin a job. Between all the position meetings, team meetings, practice, study hall (when we had it), AND school, I hate to imagine how tough/hard it would be at a major D-1 school like Notre Dame. I commend the players that do go to Notre Dame and juggle both athletics and academics.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
Looks like after todays defeat that decision will be a little easier, who is the front runners being considered besides Meyers (Florida) and Kelly (Cincinnati)
Well, I guess if Lou Holtz just gave his position that he does not see ND bringing back Charlie, then Charlie is G-O-N-E!!!