Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Wanna Know What You Think
just an honest question that might bring up a lot of opinions....why do you think eastern kentucky can hardly ever produce a division I player?
That's a good question..Who was actually the last one the eky had?
ya got me....i'm clueless
Sara Elliott from Jackson Co. went to UK ... But idk why there's not many
well, i know that kasi galloway is gonna go to UK...
I forgot about Mullins-Galloway
The reason................... population!
Belfry had 1 or 2 that went on to UK and one that went to a JuCo
My reason is gonna have to be too many Mcdonalds and Wendys in this area.

Posted Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:17 pm:

IM not saying that to be funny, im saying it b/c i think its true..NO offense to any girls out there.
"football05" Wrote:My reason is gonna have to be too many Mcdonalds and Wendys in this area.

Posted Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:17 pm:

IM not saying that to be funny, im saying it b/c i think its true..NO offense to any girls out there.
:roll:
I don't think thats the reason.
I don't think basketball around here gets enough press due to a lack of solid tournament appearances. I mean the team from the 15th usually gets beat out in the first round.
Kathy Spinks from Belfry went to play for UT-Knoxville in like '84. She was on their '87 championship team.

Posted Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:36 am:

BTW BallaBaby...I really hate your avatar lol! GO LADY VOLS! Wink
"Cali" Wrote:Kathy Spinks from Belfry went to play for UT-Knoxville in like '84. She was on their '87 championship team.

Posted Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:36 am:

BTW BallaBaby...I really hate your avatar lol! GO LADY VOLS! Wink

:lol: Go UConn!!!
Jody Seizemore went to Morehead, which is D-I.. she was from Leslie Co. And yes Sara Elliot went to UK..but she's like 6'8". A lot of girls go to D-I school and never complete their stay. A lot of girls from the 14th go to Coastal Carolina, which is D-I but they seem to always come back to Pikeville or Alice Lloyd after their first year. I think D-I schools and big towns scare a lot of people from E. KY. I don't want to sound like we're a bunch of hicks, because that is not the case, but unfortunately a lot of E.KY girls have those close knit families that make it difficult for them to leave. Also, it is the lack of recognition and big tournament play. Most D-I scouts visit the state tournaments and get a feel for the players. If they don't shine there or attend a lot of summer camps, their chances of being a D-I player are slim. Also, it is the economic status that E.KY is..or is viewed as. Money talks, and unfortunately not a lot of folks in this area have enough to publicize their teams and players statewide, let alone nation wide. You have to make the effort, send the tapes, make the phonecalls, take them to games, get in touch with recruiters. A lot of coaches here coach for their pure glory of it and no one really cares whether or not their players continue after high school. But again, these are all my opinions.
I'm not 100% sure but it might be a lack of dedication, practice, or there is just other things on there mind. but they do produce some good players.
"T-Blankenship78" Wrote:I'm not 100% sure but it might be a lack of dedication, practice, or there is just other things on there mind. but they do produce some good players.

I agree with lack of dedication. Look at the younger kids...it's pathetic how terrible most teams are. Most kids don't even know the basics...and they get in high school and can't even shoot a layup the correct way.
I totally disagree with this statement "My reason is gonna have to be too many Mcdonalds and Wendys in this area"!!!! There are alot of talented girls in eastern ky for example AD Slone, Kayla Lowe, Shae Deskins, Hanna Thompson, Kayla Ratliff, Marrisa Puritt...just to name a few I think its because eastern ky just dont get the reconition they deserve...as far as them not knowing the basics its not the girls fault they dont you can blame that on the coaching or not enough practice time for all the teams to practice, especially grade school kids they are so many teams trying to use the same gym to practice in and play games in there just isnt enough time in the day for all of them to get enough time in the gym...when you combine schools there are good points and bad and this is one of the bad...
Kayla Lowe went D-1 this year and Kendra Carroll went D-1 the year before that. Several girls have options to go D-1 but choose for one reason or the other to go to a smaller school.

It is all about the percentages. Eastern Kentucky is less populated than other areas and not a lot of press so some of the good players may slip thru the cracks if the teams don't get out of the mountains and play some games in some bigger venues.
This thread is almost 4 years old. Start a new one if you feel the need to discuss it.