Poll: Should All Teams Make the Playoffs in a 4 Team District?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
20.93%
No
79.07%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 Team districts. All make the playoffs. Agree or disagree
This was talked about at length last year on the "other" communistic site. I personally don't think you should make the playoffs by just existing. When I played not everyone made the playoffs. You actually had to "make" it. Got nothing against the 4th place teams in 4 team districts but some of the games should not be played. I know every team in baseball and basketball have the ability to play their way up the ladder in a playoff system but I think football is different. Any thoughts.
64black&gold Wrote:This was talked about at length last year on the "other" communistic site. I personally don't think you should make the playoffs by just existing. When I played not everyone made the playoffs. You actually had to "make" it. Got nothing against the 4th place teams in 4 team districts but some of the games should not be played. I know every team in baseball and basketball have the ability to play their way up the ladder in a playoff system but I think football is different. Any thoughts.

I would like to see 3 teams from the same district make the playoffs. Then you could give the district champions a one week bye and they would play the winner of the 2/3 matchups.
Somebody add a poll on here and lets see what the numbers look like.
hooaah Wrote:Somebody add a poll on here and lets see what the numbers look like.

Good idea
Poll Added
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Poll Added

Thx Boss
Top 2 from each district is enough. This would also move the State Championships back to Thanksgiven week.
No more than 2 teams from each district should make it.
When it comes to the districts with 4 teams i don't think that all the teams should get in because its just not right! if you'll look at the playoff matchups you notice that alot of the 4 seed teams from 4 team districts are teams that have only 1-3 wins and have never even made it to the playoffs before! I don't know about anyone else but i don't think you deserve to play in the playoffs if you have only won a couple of games. (This part is kinda off subject but, i have lived in Lee County for whole life except for three years and those three years i lived in Massachusetts and up there i played football and there was a year when we won 8 games and still didn't make the post season, we were even ranked in the Top 25 at one point in the season!) So back on subject, i think what they need to do let only 3 teams make it in and let the number 1 seed have a bye in the first week of the playoffs! Or better yet and to make things easier only let two teams in from each district. I know that by letting more teams in it makes the playoffs more interesting but those 4 seed teams just don't deserve to get in because you know coming into the beginning of the season that you'll be in the playoffs come the end of the season! I think if you reduce who makes it in, to 3 or even just 2 teams it would make for more competitive teams in those districts.
leecoukfan Wrote:When it comes to the districts with 4 teams i don't think that all the teams should get in because its just not right! if you'll look at the playoff matchups you notice that alot of the 4 seed teams from 4 team districts are teams that have only 1-3 wins and have never even made it to the playoffs before! I don't know about anyone else but i don't think you deserve to play in the playoffs if you have only won a couple of games. (This part is kinda off subject but, i have lived in Lee County for whole life except for three years and those three years i lived in Massachusetts and up there i played football and there was a year when we won 8 games and still didn't make the post season, we were even ranked in the Top 25 at one point in the season!) So back on subject, i think what they need to do let only 3 teams make it in and let the number 1 seed have a bye in the first week of the playoffs! Or better yet and to make things easier only let two teams in from each district. I know that by letting more teams in it makes the playoffs more interesting but those 4 seed teams just don't deserve to get in because you know coming into the beginning of the season that you'll be in the playoffs come the end of the season! I think if you reduce who makes it in, to 3 or even just 2 teams it would make for more competitive teams in those districts.

I agree. It's not uncommon in Ohio for a team to go 10-0 and not make the playoffs.
BluegrassBuckeye Wrote:I agree. It's not uncommon in Ohio for a team to go 10-0 and not make the playoffs.

How would a team go 10-0 and not make the playoffs. If no losese then they would have to be the 1 seed for their district would they not? Don't make a lot of sense then.

Also last year SK was a four seed and made it all the way to the championship game. This says something about the four seeds. Some may have just gotten off to a bad start like SK did. After their big distict wooping by Boone County they pulled together and never lost another game till the final. I think the four team setup is great. I love high school football and four seeds just extend that season more for the true fans of high school ball.
BluegrassBuckeye Wrote:I agree. It's not uncommon in Ohio for a team to go 10-0 and not make the playoffs.

Yeah, i mean KY's highschool football playoff system is rediculous because if they're teams that go 10-0 and don't make the playoffs in Ohio, Kentucky is just the opposite there are a few 0-10 winless teams that have made the playoffs!

neerfan Wrote:How would a team go 10-0 and not make the playoffs. If no losese then they would have to be the 1 seed for their district would they not? Don't make a lot of sense then.

Also last year SK was a four seed and made it all the way to the championship game. This says something about the four seeds. Some may have just gotten off to a bad start like SK did. After their big distict wooping by Boone County they pulled together and never lost another game till the final. I think the four team setup is great. I love high school football and four seeds just extend that season more for the true fans of high school ball.

Ohio may have a different playoff system, so until i know how there playoff system works, i would guess that it could be possible for that to happen.

SK is also a 6A school and for most of the teams in 6A they're usually top ranked teams in the state even if they have a bad record because alot of them play big time schools from other states that they lose to those teams. A prime example would be Trinity(5-4) not that great of a record but they're ranked 5th in the state because the teams they lost to were Lawrence North(IN) who is a big time school in every sport, Elder(Cincy, OH) ranked 28th nationally, St. Xavier(OH) ranked 8th nationally, and St. Xavier(KY) ranked 19th nationally.
Yeah thats crazy that a team could possibly only win 1 game and make the playoffs so the 1 seed has to play a game that really shouldnt be played and possibly get somebody hurt IMO top 2 from each district would work
I say take the top 2 teams from a four team district and send them to the playoffs. In the 5 team districts have the 2/3 seeds play a play-in game.
you the man blackcat
The only reason you would say "yes" is if you are one of these 4 seeds. C'mon KHSAA!
What happened the EARNING your way to the playoffs? If your 1-9 or 0-10 you get rewarded for it with a trip to the khsaa playoffs. Top 3 teams, 2 plays 3, reward the 1 seed with a first round bye. What are we teaching by this? We're teaching it's ok, you don't have to work hard, just sit back, were going to hand it to you. Bourbon proved the 3 seed belongs. How about teaching the values of working hard and EARNING something. Same principle as " You don't have to work, just it back and draw a check, They'll take care of you."
All teams should make the playoffs regardless of how many teams are in a district. Indiana has such a system and the quality of football played in the metro Indy area is among the best in the country. Kentucky's basketball teams do not "earn their way into the playoffs," nor do its basketball, baseball, or wresting teams. Why do people think that football should be any different?

IMO, the more football played in Kentucky, the better. Adding one more game to the schedules of a few teams will not change the final outcome of the playoffs and it gives the underclassmen on those teams a little more experience.
IMO there should only be 2 teams from a district with just 4 teams going to the playoffs. I feel that it is a waste of money to send some of these 4 seeds to play a 1 seed.
neerfan Wrote:How would a team go 10-0 and not make the playoffs. If no losese then they would have to be the 1 seed for their district would they not? Don't make a lot of sense then.

I think the Ohio system is a "points system" like Dickinson. I don't know about 10-0 but I have heard of some 9-1 type teams missing the playoffs in Ohio under the points.

Then again I know of many 9-1 teams (:HitWallSmile that missed the KHSAA playoffs back when it was one team from the District only. Points would have put us in back then. :devilflam

hope this works. It has how all states playoffs systems work.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/co...elist.html
Hoot Gibson Wrote:All teams should make the playoffs regardless of how many teams are in a district. Indiana has such a system and the quality of football played in the metro Indy area is among the best in the country. Kentucky's basketball teams do not "earn their way into the playoffs," nor do its basketball, baseball, or wresting teams. Why do people think that football should be any different?

IMO, the more football played in Kentucky, the better. Adding one more game to the schedules of a few teams will not change the final outcome of the playoffs and it gives the underclassmen on those teams a little more experience.

Thats rediculous!! If every team makes it into the playoffs what would be the point of having a regular season? If it was that way there would be nothing to make the players try to win in the regular season if they new they could wait for the playoffs! Thats just nonsense!

How can you say that the basketball teams don't earn their way into the playoffs? In order to make the post season in basketball you have to make it to your DISTRICT CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!

Adding one more game could be adding one more injured star player!
Hoot Gibson Wrote:All teams should make the playoffs regardless of how many teams are in a district. Indiana has such a system and the quality of football played in the metro Indy area is among the best in the country. Kentucky's basketball teams do not "earn their way into the playoffs," nor do its basketball, baseball, or wresting teams. Why do people think that football should be any different?

I agree that more reps only helps those trying to build their program but unlike basketball and baseball and wrestling there is not someone across from you trying separate you from your shoes. In one of the 1 vs. 4 games last year a team with about 19 players came and when one of their starters had to leave the game because of injury his backup did not want to go in. His coach had to literally walk him onto the field. That team gained nothing but a whole bunch of bruises from that game. That's the difference from football and the other sports.
Hatz Wrote:I think the Ohio system is a "points system" like Dickinson. I don't know about 10-0 but I have heard of some 9-1 type teams missing the playoffs in Ohio under the points.

Then again I know of many 9-1 teams (:HitWallSmile that missed the KHSAA playoffs back when it was one team from the District only. Points would have put us in back then. :devilflam

Ohio's playoffs are based on a points system that gives heavy emphasis to strength of schedule. Several Ohio teams have gone 10-0 and missed the playoffs. For example; East Clinton in 1988, Paint Valley in 1990, and Jamestown Greenview in 1994 or 1995. Ohio's schools also play in Leagues instead of districts. A league can be made up of teams from, for example, Div II, II, and IV. Different size schools; same league.
Win your in. Should be that simple. If you win a district game you belong in. So those 4 team districts the 4th seed needed to have won a district game to make it if not the other 1 seed gets a bye
Hoot Gibson Wrote:[U]All teams should make the playoffs regardless of how many teams are in a district.[/U] Indiana has such a system and the quality of football played in the metro Indy area is among the best in the country. Kentucky's basketball teams do not "earn their way into the playoffs," nor do its basketball, baseball, or wresting teams. Why do people think that football should be any different?

You are incorrect. Basketball teams must win a district tourney game to advance to the regional tournament. Football playoffs is a regional tournament. You must be from Jenkins.
nky;875618[B Wrote:]Win your in. Should be that simple. [/B]If you win a district game you belong in. So those 4 team districts the 4th seed needed to have won a district game to make it if not the other 1 seed gets a bye
Exactly:thanks:
MR.PERFECT Wrote:The [B]only reason you would say "yes" is if you are one of these 4 seeds. C'mon KHSAA![/B]What happened the EARNING your way to the playoffs? If your 1-9 or 0-10 you get rewarded for it with a trip to the khsaa playoffs. Top 3 teams, 2 plays 3, reward the 1 seed with a first round bye. What are we teaching by this? We're teaching it's ok, you don't have to work hard, just sit back, were going to hand it to you. Bourbon proved the 3 seed belongs. How about teaching the values of working hard and EARNING something. Same principle as " You don't have to work, just it back and draw a check, They'll take care of you."

We were the four seed last year and worked hard and got all the way the the final game. But your thought process says its ok to be in third and get to go. Is it because you were the third so its ok. SK proved that the four should also be there. Give the kids a break and let them enjoy the sport they love. You are in no way teaching them to sit back and not work hard. They get the first round game and if they dont win they are out. Whats so bad about that. I dont know any fourth place team that did not win the first round just have all their seniors say well at least when I get out school I learned I dont have to work hard I can just sit back and someone will take of me. Get Real Dude
Top two teams in each district should make the playoffs and the rest should be practicing basketball.