Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best team in the mountains??
In your opinion who is the best team in the mountains!
Based on anything!!!!
Ummmm bell co imo.
:Thumbs:Agree, Bell Co.
Bell
Bell County.
I believe bell County is the best team in the Mountains. They have played a tough schedule like in the first game of the schedule and losing to the Tennessee State Championship. I don't see any one that plays Alcoa this season no one is brave enough to do it
Bell County
What about the best mountain team in the last 10 years?

BELL COUNTY
2000 6-5
2001 9-4
2002 9-4
2003 8-2
2004 12-2
2005 10-3
2006 9-3
2007 12-1
2008 15-0
20009 9-1
99-25 (currently)

ROCKCASTLE COUNTY
2000 13-1
2001 14-1
2002 13-2
2003 9-3
2004 8-4
2005 11-3
2006 11-2
2007 6-6
2008 8-4
2009 4-6 (currently)
97-32

IMO it is a sure dog fight between Rock and Bell for the dominance in the last 10 years.
Bell County until proven otherwise.
rocket01,
That may be a good topic for a seperate thread... but if you post it, as a hint, be sure to include Belfry' record i that time frame as well.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:rocket01,
That may be a good topic for a seperate thread... but if you post it, as a hint, be sure to include Belfry' record i that time frame as well.
What would be better since the decade in coming to a close, this site should have the top ten mountain winning programs viewed and have a voting poll with the top ten since 2000 when the season is over and then award it to that winner with a trophy.
Bell County of Course I men who else would there be Maybe Belfry they have been real good past few years
I think mountain football is the best, all the teams fight hard every Friday night. IMO there is alot of smashmouth football played at its best around here.
Bell County hands down, only because of those 25 losses that you posted, only about 10-12 have come against other mountain teams.
Bell Rockcastle and Belfry would have to be the picks here. Mountian football is getting much better and look for teamls like JC, Letcher Central, Whitley, and Prestonsburg to move into these ranks.
Is this about "who has the best current team in the mountains?" or is it

"Who has the best program in the mountains?"

If it's Team in 2009, I think it would be Bell County without debate.

If it's Program, you could debate among Bell County, Belfry, Rockastle and would Breathitt be in the discussion?
IMO, if we are discussing this decade Belfry is the cream of the crop.
DC= District Champ
RC= Regional Champ
SF= Semi-Finals
RU= Runner Up
SC= State Championship

2009- 7-3 (DC)
2008- 13-1 (DC, RC, SF)
2007- 14-1 (DC, RC, SF, RU)
2006- 11-3 (DC, RC, SF)
2005- 11-3 (DC, RC, SF)
2004- 14-1 (DC, RC, SF,SC)
2003- 13-2 (DC, RC, SF, SC)
2002- 10-3 (DC)
2001- 8-5
2000- 7-5
OVERALL: 108-27, 80%
8 Consecutive District Titles
8 Consecutive Regional Final Games
6 Consecutive Regional Championships
3 State Finals
2 State Championships
46 straight wins against mountain teams at one point

92-12 vs. Mountain teams
Including wins over perennial mountain powers:
Pikeville (9)
Lawrence County (6)
Pburg (7)
Breathitt County (2)
Johnson Central (2)
Corbin (1)
Somerset (1)
Sheldon Clark (9)
Middlesboro (4)
Letcher Central/Whitesburg (4)
BELL COUNTY!!! Duh!! I thought everybody knew that?
Hey EKU, I was just going to start another thread about the winningest decades in Eastern Kentucky History. Pikeville had 107 wins in the 1990s and Belfry has just passed that with their 108 and, hopefully, counting. Bell County had 110 wins in the 1990s and the most they can get to is 106 for the 2000s. According to the KHSAA, they were 92-22 coming in to this year. This is a couple of games different than one of the previous posts abouve. So, theoretically, if Belfry were to win 3 more games, they could have the winningest decade, by total number of wins, in mountaing history. My research has not found any other team that has won this many. The only decade I am not completely sure on is the 1980s. Obviously, Pikeville won 43 games in the final 3 years of that decade. I do not know the totals for the other years. I asked my buddy Andrew Joyce if he knew and he said he was not for sure, but that he thought it was around 115 or greater. He was supposed to find out and let me know, but he hasn't yet. If you do the math, it would be hard to get from 43 to 115 in 7 years. At 10 wins a year, that would be 113, and I just don't remember Pikeville winning an average of 10 games a year, until those final 3 years. Maybe a Pikeville fan can do a little research and list the Panther's year by year for the 1980s.
As far as this year, it is Bell County by far. Maybe we can have two threads in one. One for this year's team and one looking at some of the winningest programs over the last decade or several decades.
Bell Co.

Bell Co hasnt been beaten by a Mountain team since 2006.
Since 2007 Bell Co has a record of 37-2 which includes 10 games in 2009. The 2 teams that have beaten them is Lex Cath in 07 and they went on and won the State Championship that year. Then Alcoa this year who is going to win there 6th STRAIGHT State Championship this year in Tennessee.
Fictional seeded 16 Team Tournament of the Mountain Teams

(1) Bell Co vs. (16) Allen Central -- Bell County
(8) Lawrence Co. vs. (9) Sheldon Clark -- Lawrence County
(4) Belfry vs. (13) Pike Central -- Belfry
(5) Mason Co. vs. (12) Shelby Valley -- Mason County
(3) Prestonsburg vs. (14) Hazard -- Prestonsburg
(6) Corbin vs. (11) Knox Central -- Corbin
(7) Breathitt Co. vs. (10) Ashland Blazer -- Ashland Blazer
(2) Somerset vs. (15) Pikeville -- Somerset

Bell County vs. Lawrence County -- Bell County
Belfry vs. Mason County -- Belfry
Prestonsburg vs. Corbin -- Corbin
Ashland Blazer vs. Somerset --Ashland Blazer

Bell County vs. Belfry -- Bell County
Corbin vs. Ashland Blazer -- Corbin

Bell County vs. Corbin -- Bell County
EJJAGS Wrote:Fictional seeded 16 Team Tournament of the Mountain Teams

(1) Bell Co vs. (16) Allen Central -- Bell County
(8) Lawrence Co. vs. (9) Sheldon Clark -- Lawrence County
(4) Belfry vs. (13) Pike Central -- Belfry
(5) Mason Co. vs. (12) Shelby Valley -- Mason County
(3) Prestonsburg vs. (14) Hazard -- Prestonsburg
(6) Corbin vs. (11) Knox Central -- Corbin
(7) Breathitt Co. vs. (10) Ashland Blazer -- Ashland Blazer
(2) Somerset vs. (15) Pikeville -- Somerset

Bell County vs. Lawrence County -- Bell County
Belfry vs. Mason County -- Belfry
Prestonsburg vs. Corbin -- Corbin
Ashland Blazer vs. Somerset --Ashland Blazer

Bell County vs. Belfry -- Bell County
Corbin vs. Ashland Blazer -- Corbin

Bell County vs. Corbin -- Bell County

Pretty cool. A couple of things that would look different in my bracket. I would take Ashland over Corbin, and I would probably seed Pike Central higher in relation to Sheldon Clark, considering the Hawks just beat them at SC by 18 points. I would also put Harlan County, Letcher Central, and Whitley County in place of Pikeville, Hazard, and Allen Central, and then I would reseed.
I knew I would leave some out. Reseed what you think and lets compare.
bucslover68 Wrote:Pretty cool. A couple of things that would look different in my bracket. I would take Ashland over Corbin, and I would probably seed Pike Central higher in relation to Sheldon Clark, considering the Hawks just beat them at SC by 18 points. I would also put Harlan County, Letcher Central, and Whitley County in place of Pikeville, Hazard, and Allen Central, and then I would reseed.

come on buclover thats with out there staters,give them a break,lol
How can Pike Cent, Breathitt, Mason Co, be included. There are better teams than this. Plus when did Mason become a mountain team.
former Wrote:How can Pike Cent, Breathitt, Mason Co, be included. There are better teams than this. Plus when did Mason become a mountain team.
He is including teams that are basically mountain regions and Mason County should be incuded because they are undefeated.
Rockcastle since 2000

Games Played: 129 (currently) playoff game this friday will mark 130 since 2000
Points Scored: 4,292 AVG. 33.2 PPG
Points Allowed: 1,771 AVG. 13.7 PPG from opponents
Home Record: (60 games)= 52-8 Points Scored:2,171 (36.1) Points Allowed:698 (11.6)
18 shutouts at home
District= 46-9
Playoffs= 20-9
OVERALL= 97-32 75%
bucslover68 Wrote:He is including teams that are basically mountain regions and Mason County should be incuded because they are undefeated.

Alright I have a question for the Belfry fans, if anyone could would they please tell me the total number of district championships, regional championships,semi final apperaces & wins, state runner ups and state titles they have, i mean i know they have two titles but haven't they been 5 times overall?

Also this is for the Pikeville fans too, Pikeville use to have a website for sports that told exactly how many district,region and state titles they had, could anyone tell me what happened to it or does anyone know the total number of times they've won each like I asked about Belfry? Thanks
the watcher Wrote:Alright I have a question for the Belfry fans, if anyone could would they please tell me the total number of district championships, regional championships,semi final apperaces & wins, state runner ups and state titles they have, i mean i know they have two titles but haven't they been 5 times overall?

Also this is for the Pikeville fans too, Pikeville use to have a website for sports that told exactly how many district,region and state titles they had, could anyone tell me what happened to it or does anyone know the total number of times they've won each like I asked about Belfry? Thanks

Someone else will have to count the district and regional titles up... but Belfry has 2 State Championships and 3 State Runner-ups.