Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1987 Pikeville Panthers vs. 2009 Fort Thomas Highlands
What a game the would be! Two of the best high school football teams the state of kentucky has ever seen. Who would win?
Highlands by 50+ even without the starting QB
Highlands hands down. That was a great Pikeville team but they were a great Class A team and we are talking about a 3A team in Highlands who plays a 5A/6A schedule.

Taking nothing away from that team because they had a very good recieving corps. I forgot their names Mcnamee maybe and Honaker. I just remember they had some shootouts with Beechwood.
It would have been competitive. Pikeville may not have beaten them, but it would not have been a blowout.

Pikeville was ranked #1 in KY in the Lit ratings at one point. They were very, very good.
Don't know who would win, but Highlands could not stop Pikeville's running game. And class would not figure into it. And Pikeville didn't "have some shootouts" with Beechwood in 87, 88 and 89, they thoroughly thrashed them. Compare this Highlands team to the 87 Highlands team. How do they compare? Because the 1987 Pikeville team would have had their way with the 1987 Highlands team.
Highlands names the score...and yes I am dead serious...Its a different type of football player now than there was 20+ years ago..
not trying to make anyone mad but trinity has put a few state title trophies in there case as well as st. x, Boyle not that this years edition of highlands is not great. i think they've had better teams in the past. I do know Trinity and st. x are missing a step this year but they would destroy any team in the state highlands is good i think they could beat either but match ups play a huge role and highlands matched up perfect for elder.
Highlands would destroy Pikeville.
I bet al lot of those saying Highlands , Highlands , Highland were not even old enough to know what a football was 22 years ago, and probably never even saw either team play. Going out on another limb and say they wern't even born to go on top of it.
StrayBullet Wrote:Highlands names the score...and yes I am dead serious...Its a different type of football player now than there was 20+ years ago..
Oh really???

Explain the difference?

Did you ever see any of those Pikeville teams?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I bet al lot of those saying Highlands , Highlands , Highland were not even old enough to know what a football was 22 years ago, and probably never even saw either team play. Going out on another limb and say they wern't even born to go on top of it.

Wow once again you are 100% wrong...go figure...:rockon:
StrayBullet Wrote:Wow once again you are 100% wrong...go figure...:rockon:

How am I wrong, there BulletBoy? Do you know every single poster that has posted on the subject, Mr. Knower of all Knowledge?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:How am I wrong, BulletBoy? Do you know every single poster that has posted on the subject?

Are you really trying to say that an HS athelete of the 1980's is the same type of HS athlete of these modern times?? I mean I respect your position but if I have to explain it to you then I am wasting both of our times. Amazing!!! Bulletboy LOL I love a good nerdy message board fight:devilflam
Pikeville would hang around for half then it would be all Highlands . Yes I am old enough to remember the 87 team .
It wouldn't even be close.

I remember that Pikeville team well They were good but not that good.
StrayBullet Wrote:Are you really trying to say that an HS athelete of the 1980's is the same type of HS athlete of these modern times?? I mean I respect your position but if I have to explain it to you then I am wasting both of our times. Amazing!!! Bulletboy LOL I love a good nerdy message board fight:devilflam

Not much of a difference at all. Go watch videos of players from the 80s and vids of players in the modern era. Only difference is the jerseys and quality of the video.
FBALL Wrote:It wouldn't even be close.

I remember that Pikeville team well They were good but not that good.

:Thumbs::Thumbs:
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Not much of a difference at all. Go watch videos of players from the 80s and vids of players in the modern era. Only difference is the camera to me.

So for example todays NFL players arent better, faster, jump higher than the players from the NFL during the 80's?
StrayBullet Wrote:Are you really trying to say that an HS athelete of the 1980's is the same type of HS athlete of these modern times?? I mean I respect your position but if I have to explain it to you then I am wasting both of our times. Amazing!!! Bulletboy LOL I love a good nerdy message board fight:devilflam

Naw you explain it anyways. Humor us all, and while your at it answer the other questions.

What does that even have to do when you are comparing the two teams, that you were probably too young(or unborn) to have ever seen in the first place.

Nerdy, lol!!! Hardly Bullet Boy. And I highly emphasize the Boy part.
I think were a little in over our heads, think about how many of us actually saw the '87 Panthers play

I've watched game film and was very impressed
StrayBullet Wrote:So for example todays NFL players arent better, faster, jump higher than the players from the NFL during the 80's?
We are talking High School football in the state of Kentucky. What's the NFL got to do with anything?

I figured that would be about all you had?:zzz:
If...Then Wrote:I think were a little in over our heads, think about how many of us actually saw the '87 Panthers play

That's exactly right. Ol Bullet Boy went and stuck his foot in his mouth, and dont know how to get out of this one.
StrayBullet Wrote:So for example todays NFL players arent better, faster, jump higher than the players from the NFL during the 80's?

Today's players are faster because training is more different and football has somewhat went from power to speed. But take the best team from the 80s and put them against the best NFL team today and don't tell me it wouldn't be a good game.
Ummm highlands easilyyyyyyy
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Naw you explain it anyways. Humor us all, and while your at it answer the other questions.

What does that even have to do when you are comparing the two teams, that you were probably too young(or unborn) to have ever seen in the first place.

Nerdy, lol!!! Hardly

Just because you might be so much more older than me doesnt make you more "wise"... trust me..ignorance doesnt have an age limit...I use to sit and watch film ( when available ) on ANY East Ky teams from the past...I have seen the great Pikeville teams..the Belfry teams...the Lawrence County teams...the Breathitt County teams..and ( hey get this ) I have even seen Highlands play in person more than once...In NKY its a different type of football and people who "know" football will admit that...Just remember Mr. Kimball I still respect your opinion..no matter how wrong you are..:1:
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Today's players are faster because training is more different and football has somewhat went from power to speed. But take the best team from the 80s and put them against the best NFL team today and don't tell me it wouldn't be a good game.

So the Cincinnati Bengals with Esiason could hang with Tom Brady and the New England Patriots?? I love this kind of discussion but I think NE is 3+ TD's better any day.
StrayBullet Wrote:So the Cincinnati Bengals with Esiason could hang with Tom Brady and the New England Patriots?? I love this kind of discussion but I think NE is 3+ TD's better any day.

I said take the BEST team from the 80s.
StrayBullet Wrote:Just because you might be so much more older than me doesnt make you more "wise"... trust me..ignorance doesnt have an age limit...I use to sit and watch film ( when available ) on ANY East Ky teams from the past...I have seen the great Pikeville teams..the Belfry teams...the Lawrence County teams...the Breathitt County teams..and ( hey get this ) I have even seen Highlands play in person more than once...In NKY its a different type of football and people who "know" football will admit that...Just remember Mr. Kimball I still respect your opinion..no matter how wrong you are..:1:

Just what I thought. Stuck your foot in your mouth and dont know diddly about this one.

But FWIW, I respect those still trying to learn too, grasshopper. :biggrin:
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I said take the BEST team from the 80s.

I thought a Super Bowl winner from ANY year of the 80's would be sufficient.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Just what I thought. Dont know diddly about this one.

But FWIW, I respect those still learning too, grasshopper.:biggrin:

Your lack of response is telling..I still love to have a good discussion about football regardless of what its about...GO JC Eagles..right Kimball??:rockon: