Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Golf an Olympic Sport?
COPENHAGEN (AP) -- Golf and rugby have been approved as Olympic sports. The International Olympic Committee voted Friday to include both sports on the program for the 2016 and 2020 Summer Games.

Each sport received majority support in separate votes after presentations by leading athletes and officials. Rugby will organize a seven-a-side tournament for 12 men's and women's teams. Golf will stage a 72-hole stroke-play tournament for men and women. The vote brings the number of summer Olympic sports back to 28. There have been two openings on the program since baseball and softball were dropped in 2005 for the 2012 London Games.
http://www.wgrz.com/news/national/story....89&catid=2
The world's leading golf players are urging the IOC to put the sport on the Olympic program.

Tiger Woods and other top pros appeared in a video message shown to the International Olympic Committee in a presentation Friday. The IOC will vote on whether to include golf and rugby in the 2016 and 2020 Summer Games.

Woods said it would be an "honor for anyone who plays this game to become an Olympian." Padraig Harrington and Michelle Wie addressed the IOC in person.

Ty Votaw, the executive director of the International Golf Federation, said they were speaking for 60 million golfers worldwide who hope to see the sport they love return to the Olympics.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...z0TSjd06Ik
They should!
Im not going to say golf shouldn't be an Olympic sport, but baseball NOT being an Olympic sport confuses me.
If rythmic dance is, then golf def is.
csabo17 Wrote:Im not going to say golf shouldn't be an Olympic sport, but baseball NOT being an Olympic sport confuses me.

How is baseball not an Olympic sport?
They dropped it along with softball 4 years ago in Bejing i believe. May of been the olympics before.
Protect_This_House26 Wrote:How is baseball not an Olympic sport?
They dropped baseball and softball after beijing olympics was over in 2008.
yes it is
Would be great for golf!
Golf should make up for the almost always gold we win in softball.