Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley's Historical Night
Friday Shelby Valley romped Bath County 49-0 and in the process set several school records with the performance, as well as making their mark on the state and regional record books.

The Wildcats officially rushed 40 times for 656 yards and 7 TD's. They had 4 different ball carriers eclipse the 100 yard mark. They finished with 667 total yards.

667 total yards is the 17th most total yards in a single game in state history.

656 rushing yards is the 5th most in State History and the most in a single game by a mountain team.

It is also the first time I can recall a mountain team with 4 100 yard rushers in the same game. I know Belfry has had three players eclipse the century makr a number of times, but I can't remember 4 guys doing so.
Good stuff.

Like i posted before, this game was running clock midway through the 2nd
Those are some very nice accomplishments for their program.

Shelby Valley seems as if they have yet another good team again this season. I watched them play in the PCB and they are big upfront with a skilled backfield. Their defense give up some big plays to Pike Central, but then again it was the first game of the season and mistakes are going to take place. I'm looking forward to the district showdown between Valley and Prestonsburg. Hopefully this seasons game will be as good as the past few.
Shelby Valley has a good backfield. Roberts is a big weapon and Tackett is great when used as a blocking back. He is a big guy that can open some holes.
Congrats Valley!
Sounds like they kept the starters in the whole game, not much class.
Blueheat Wrote:Sounds like they kept the starters in the whole game, not much class.
Amen.. These stats would not have happened if they were playing someone other than Bath. Not saying anything bad about Bath but they are down this year.. Don't toot your horn until you put up those stats against a better team such as Belfry, P-burg or Bell county.
Blueheat Wrote:Sounds like they kept the starters in the whole game, not much class.

If they kept the starters in the whole game they would have at least scored in the 2nd half. Wasn't the score 49-0 at the half? I find it hard to believe that Bath shut them down in the 2nd half with the starters playing. I heard someone from SV say Saturday at the Sportsplex that the subs played the entire 2nd half. I wasn't there so I can't say for sure, but I listened to the 1st half on the radio and I'm pretty sure the score at the half was the same as the final score. You shouldn't say someone has no class w/o finding out the facts first.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:If they kept the starters in the whole game they would have at least scored in the 2nd half. Wasn't the score 49-0 at the half? I find it hard to believe that Bath shut them down in the 2nd half with the starters playing. I heard someone from SV say Saturday at the Sportsplex that the subs played the entire 2nd half. I wasn't there so I can't say for sure, but I listened to the 1st half on the radio and I'm pretty sure the score at the half was the same as the final score. You shouldn't say someone has no class w/o finding out the facts first.

So your saying you rushed for about 600 yards in one half. I hardly believe that if your subs did play the second half and had any yards at all they would have scored some. I just dont see that i could be wrong though. Valley has good numbers of yards but they have to proof to me they can do it against a good quality team. LC pretty much shut them down other than the first drive. They are a very good 2a team but i think Valley went for the record books in this game. Good luck to you all for the rest of the year i hope you all upset Prestonsburge and win out but with class tho.:Clap:
When you have 3 backs rush for 526 yards in a state championship game (Belfry vs Owensboro Catholic) and come away with a state championship then you have something that makes some history!
Blueheat Wrote:So your saying you rushed for about 600 yards in one half. I hardly believe that if your subs did play the second half and had any yards at all they would have scored some. I just dont see that i could be wrong though. Valley has good numbers of yards but they have to proof to me they can do it against a good quality team. LC pretty much shut them down other than the first drive. They are a very good 2a team but i think Valley went for the record books in this game. Good luck to you all for the rest of the year i hope you all upset Prestonsburge and win out but with class tho.:Clap:

I verified that I am right about the score at the half. They did not score in the 2nd half. My fiancee's dad tapes the games and he said they played subs during the second half and almost all of that yardage was made in the 1st half. I can't see how anyone can say it's no class when the subs played the entire second half.

As far as anyone saying SV did this against a quality opponent, no one did. I don't believe EKUAlum is a SV poster (I may be wrong). He posted the stats, but didn't seem to be bragging about it. It just seemed like an interesting stat to post.
I am a Belfry fan just giving SV their due for a great performance. Considering that four different backs ran for 100 yards and SV had 7 different backs carry the football according to KHSAA stats, I would presume that the starters did not play the entire game. Plus, SV obviously did their damage running the ball and not passing. Additionally it appears in the KHSAA stats that two different QB's played as well.

I have no problem giving kids credit when it is due, it wasn't like SV was playing Phelps, Betsy Layne, or Bishop Brossart..this is a rival of theirs who some felt may get the #2 seed in the district.
It might not have been as bad as it seems...maybe the statastician has a little trouble with math.Confusedhh:
-Cody Varney Played 5 plays friday night.
-Zack Norman played the rest of the game, and did a really good job.
-Valleys Backup QB, is as good as a lot of starting QB.
-Their was a running clock midway through the second QTR.
-Valleys starters were pulled at 8 min to go in the second

Shelby Valley scored in one play on every possesion in the first half.
-Bath also beat shelby valley last year, and has been a rivalry the last couple of years.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I am a Belfry fan just giving SV their due for a great performance. Considering that four different backs ran for 100 yards and SV had 7 different backs carry the football according to KHSAA stats, I would presume that the starters did not play the entire game. Plus, SV obviously did their damage running the ball and not passing. Additionally it appears in the KHSAA stats that two different QB's played as well.

I have no problem giving kids credit when it is due, it wasn't like SV was playing Phelps, Betsy Layne, or Bishop Brossart..this is a rival of theirs who some felt may get the #2 seed in the district.

Thanks for clearing that up. I can't understand why so many people are quick to criticize when a team accomplishes anything. It's not like SV has been a really successful football school in the past. This season they are having some success and they should be able to enjoy it a little. And like you said, it isn't even an SV poster who started this thread. From the stats, the 3 big backs ran 8 times each, with the QB running twice for 100 yards and throwing 1 pass. The non starters ran 14 times and threw 4 times which sounds pretty accurate for a running clock.
Blueheat Wrote:So your saying you rushed for about 600 yards in one half. I hardly believe that if your subs did play the second half and had any yards at all they would have scored some. I just dont see that i could be wrong though. Valley has good numbers of yards but they have to proof to me they can do it against a good quality team. LC pretty much shut them down other than the first drive. They are a very good 2a team but i think Valley went for the record books in this game. Good luck to you all for the rest of the year i hope you all upset Prestonsburge and win out but with class tho.:Clap:

Actually im one of the varsity running backs for Shelby Valley, and we (the varsity) played one Series in the second half and thats it. We put up almost all the yards in the first half, The Varsity didnt even play defense but for only one series. So yes we did do all the numbers in the first half, And about you thinking we was going for the record books, Dont you think we would have tried to break the #1 spot instead of 17th and 5th? We had class because we didnt go for the record books, we would have probally put up 1000 yards against Bath County. And we didnt actually put up all of them numbers of yards because us and bath county are rivarly's, Its just that we cant have the JV play the entire game, so the varsity played the first half, and jv played the second half. So i think we was pretty classy IMO! :Thumbs:
Congrats to Valley!

Blueheat: Do your homework before you say stupid stuff. Valley's FRESHMEN played the majority of the second half and they did a good job of keeping Bath scoreless.

This was a district game! Not a choice Valley coaches made to play "easy" and rack up stats. Give this team credit when they deserve it. Sheesh.

Keep working hard, Bath County, and good luck for the remainder of the season.

Go Wildcats!
Tanner Tackett #35 Wrote:Actually im one of the varsity running backs for Shelby Valley, and we (the varsity) played one Series in the second half and thats it. We put up almost all the yards in the first half, The Varsity didnt even play defense but for only one series. So yes we did do all the numbers in the first half, And about you thinking we was going for the record books, Dont you think we would have tried to break the #1 spot instead of 17th and 5th? We had class because we didnt go for the record books, we would have probally put up 1000 yards against Bath County. And we didnt actually put up all of them numbers of yards because us and bath county are rivarly's, Its just that we cant have the JV play the entire game, so the varsity played the first half, and jv played the second half. So i think we was pretty classy IMO! :Thumbs:

Sweetie, if you are one of the varsity backs then why does your coach let you dress and play on the JV team? I'm just curious?

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
phs1986 Wrote:Sweetie, if you are one of the varsity backs then why does your coach let you dress and play on the JV team? I'm just curious?

?????? I know youre not serious???

Shelby Valleys JV Running backs.

QB Zach Norman #4 SO
FB Logan Lucas SO
HB Mason Johnson FR
HB Lucas Fields SO

Tanner Tackett is 6'3 210lbs, If you have been to a single JV game, you would know that SV biggest JV back is the QB and he is probably 5' 10 155
Very nice, Wildcats !!!

Looking forward to the SV/P-burg game. Last year, you guys enforced your kind of game on the Blackcats and came one miracle catch short of a huge upset.

I don't think there's a more radical contrast in football style as one will see between these two teams. Sheldon Clark is "Air Coryell" compared to Shelby Valley's preference to run the ball ( :biggrin: )...whereas P-burg puts the ball in the air at least as often as it runs.

Has Shelby Valley faced a competent passing team this year ?
Pike County Central had a decent passing game, a lot of screens.
They busted Valley for a long ball for TD in the first QTR of the PCB
phs1986 Wrote:Sweetie, if you are one of the varsity backs then why does your coach let you dress and play on the JV team? I'm just curious?

Where did you get that from?
great job sv...good luck the rest of the way!!!
I was at the game.

The Valley backs ran great. The score was 35-0 by the 1st minute of the second quarter had started.

Valley could have scored 100 points, and I'm not joking.

The second half went by like a blink of an eye because of the continuous running clock, and it is ridiculous for anyone who wasn't there to say we were classless in this situation.

I felt sorry for the Bath County Team.

Well, I'm just curious, what planet are you from. Tanner Tackett is a Sr. at Valley and is the starting Fullback. I can assure you, he does NOT play JV games. Instead of being part of a conversation about this game, why do you and others wish to bring insults and accusations.

Tanner has not played a JV game since his So. year.

Thanks for calling me sweetie, thats cute. But anyways, I have not played a jv game since my sophmore year, i start fullback, and MLB. Im 6'2 200 pounds so im sure you would notice me out their considering our JV backfields biggest player is 5'10 and maybe 165. I only go to the home JV games and i stand on the sideline, So mr or mrs curious, learn the facts.
I just want to think Shelby Valley for letting me ride to Bath County with them when I broadcasted the game . Had fun. Just want to say that they didn't run the score/ Varsity took care of business. JV played good. Congrats to Derrick Hiatt for scoring a touchdown while recovering a fumble in the endzone. He hustled for that ball. Like I was hustling for the buffet line at the restaurant. Also the team represented there communities good . They acted with class during the trip. SV I feel is not letting the success go to there heads. They are working hard to improve each week.
joethegreek Wrote:I just want to think Shelby Valley for letting me ride to Bath County with them when I broadcasted the game . Had fun. Just want to say that they didn't run the score/ Varsity took care of business. JV played good. Congrats to Derrick Hiatt for scoring a touchdown while recovering a fumble in the endzone. He hustled for that ball. Like I was hustling for the buffet line at the restaurant. Also the team represented there communities good . They acted with class during the trip. SV I feel is not letting the success go to there heads. They are working hard to improve each week.

Thanks Joethegreek. I also enjoyed sitting behind you on the bus and talking about football. BUT you dont have to let everyone on here know what kind of music we listen to haha. We'll keep that to ourselves haha! :please:
I really wouldn't call this a historical night. I mean they put up 600 yards rushing on a team that a decent jv squad could play with. I think all the valley fans and even you Mr. Tackett would agree upsetting P-burge would be a more historical night than putting up 600 yards against a team that will possibly not win a game this year. That's all im saying i wasnt trying to be harsh i hope you all do pull the upset off that would be a huge win for your alls program.
joethegreek Wrote:I just want to think Shelby Valley for letting me ride to Bath County with them when I broadcasted the game . Had fun. Just want to say that they didn't run the score/ Varsity took care of business. JV played good. Congrats to Derrick Hiatt for scoring a touchdown while recovering a fumble in the endzone. He hustled for that ball. Like I was hustling for the buffet line at the restaurant. Also the team represented there communities good . They acted with class during the trip. SV I feel is not letting the success go to there heads. They are working hard to improve each week.

Hey Joe, thanks for cheatin' on me. I can't believe you would eat at a buffet with someone else. Thank goodness it wasn't a Golden Corral.:biggrin: BTW, Joe, your spellin sucks. That Logan education is comin through for ya. BTW, Joe I cheated on you when we went to Whitley County. I ate at the Cracker Barrell in London without you.