Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Rockcastle regain the Rock Hard Defense?
I recently posted this in the Madison Southern @ Rockcastle thread:
Quote: Rocket01, do you believe Rockcastle has the talent to play good defense? I was just wondering because you mentioned getting back to square one, I was just curious as to your opinion on this matter.

I have to believe they do, but you have been with the team more recently than me, and you are in the locker room, on the practice field, etc... Do they have the talent AND discipline to play Rock Hard Defense?

I know that I was specifically asking Rocket01, but I pose this question to all the BGR nation; Can Rockcastle get back to playing the famous Rock Hard Defense?

Keep in mind that Tony Saylor is NOT the defensive coordinator, Josh "Big Dad" Martin is. Tony Saylor is with the team but he is more like a Joe Paterno, in which he is not on the sidelines, he is up in the booth. He is the Head Assistant coach. To make the long story longer, Tony Saylor is with the team but he is not the defensive coordinator.

Does Rock have the talent and discipline to have Rock Hard Defense again?
I have no idea we will just have wait and see. Coach Parkey Only has two years under his belt so far. May at least take another year and a half though. But time will tell.
lwc Wrote:I recently posted this in the Madison Southern @ Rockcastle thread:

I know that I was specifically asking Rocket01, but I pose this question to all the BGR nation; Can Rockcastle get back to playing the famous Rock Hard Defense?

Keep in mind that Tony Saylor is NOT the defensive coordinator, Josh "Big Dad" Martin is. Tony Saylor is with the team but he is more like a Joe Paterno, in which he is not on the sidelines, he is up in the booth. He is the Head Assistant coach. To make the long story longer, Tony Saylor is with the team but he is not the defensive coordinator.

Does Rock have the talent and discipline to have Rock Hard Defense again?

Don't be mistaken Rock is still a good team. They played Boyle well, gave 1 away against Pulaski and lost to a VERY good Bell team. They are still pretty good on defense just seem to be not tackling well. Tony Saylor is still pushing the buttons on defense. He stills calls to get the films he still set the gameplan trust me. He has been in the booth off and on since 2003. They will get on a roll starting this week. I think Parkey is doning a good job. IMO Larkey knew they were going to drop down some and Bell and Knox were on the rise.

Rock will be fine, don't panic. :Thumbs:
I think some of it due to young players. Most of the secondary is 10th graders
ROCKSOLID69 Wrote:I think some of it due to young players. Most of the secondary is 10th graders

Bishop and Todd are Seniors??? The only sophmore in the secondary is Rowe. BB is a soph at LB.
To me if Tony Salyor isn't coordinating the defense, then the answer is NO.
William Muney Wrote:Bishop and Todd are Seniors??? The only sophmore in the secondary is Rowe. BB is a soph at LB.

what was i thinking lol I was talking about clark and BB i dont know why i said secondary
Okay, Tony gets game film and prepares for the game. BUT Josh Martin makes in game adjustments, or lack-thereof. I understand that Tony does a lot, but this is not entirely his defense.

I do agree that it isn't the end of the world. And I only started this thread because I have been getting questioned about it and have heard about the lack of defense all season. I just wanted to see what BGR thought. Smile
I honestly believe they can do it, its all about basically how bad they want to be back to the same old defense they used to be. I believe if they put a few extra 1 or 2 hours on the practice field for the defense where Coach Saylor can work with them. It's about commitment to this program to get the season on a good note. Rockcastle's defense can be better than last year's if they just commit to the aspect of the will to win. Defense Wins Championships as the ole saying has been going. We have got our offense consistent which is a must. Our defense must shape up by no doubt. I can remember from my freshman year to my senior year that Coach Saylor and Larkey would keep us practicing til sundown during district time and playoff time, that resulted in good seasons especially my junior and senior years. The discipline I think is not as good as it use to be. I think the discipline system has to bump up a tune more to get our players to commit on the defense. The mistakes should be founded during practice not during gametime because if you can find the mistakes on the practice field and work them out then less will happen on the game field.
rocket01 Wrote:I honestly believe they can do it, its all about basically how bad they want to be back to the same old defense they used to be. I believe if they put a few extra 1 or 2 hours on the practice field for the defense where Coach Saylor can work with them. It's about commitment to this program to get the season on a good note. Rockcastle's defense can be better than last year's if they just commit to the aspect of the will to win. Defense Wins Championships as the ole saying has been going. We have got our offense consistent which is a must. Our defense must shape up by no doubt. I can remember from my freshman year to my senior year that Coach Saylor and Larkey would keep us practicing til sundown during district time and playoff time, that resulted in good seasons especially my junior and senior years. The discipline I think is not as good as it use to be. I think the discipline system has to bump up a tune more to get our players to commit on the defense. The mistakes should be founded during practice not during gametime because if you can find the mistakes on the practice field and work them out then less will happen on the game field.

No words have even been more true, when it comes to football!
As much as I loved this game of high school football for past years, there is no better feeling than to plan the game,play the game,win the game. I've coined that phrase since 2001 and it has committed to me on the sidelines during those 6 years from middle school to high school football, I was with Coach Parkey and Coach Martin til the end of my senior year that ended during the 2006 Class AAA Regional IV Championship game against Johnson Central that had Shawn Grimm and company with Coach Jim Matney. Our 2006 team was something I tell you, I miss it like nobody else can tell you and would give anything to do it again.
I am not convinced they have the personnell to do so, and it has less to do with the state of the Rockets' program and more to do with the state of high school football in Kentucky.

The best Rockcastle defenses I remember were those teams in the early 2000's that were lightning quick, sure tackling, and aggressive. The team that immediately comes to mind for me was that squad who allowed less than 100 yards rushing an entire seasons led by players like Bussell, Greg Harper, and the like.

That team was not very big, but they were lightning fast, fundamentally sound, and had a ton of depth who filled their roles just as good as the starters. Those Rockcastle teams were too quick for offensive lines to block, too athletic to beat to the corner, and were very well drilled.

I have no doubt that greener pastures are ahead for Rockcastle defensively, but the decrease in the number of kids they have since the early 2000's will drastically effect depth and increase the likelihood of having to depend on underclassmen to fill roles. It also can't be denied that the coaching change will directly be reflected as both Larkey and the Asst. Coach were defensive guru's. Another aspect is that I feel Bell County has been particularly "up" in recent years and other teams who frequent Rock's schedule have improved as well (think Pulaski County, Knox Central,etc)
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I am not convinced they have the personnell to do so, and it has less to do with the state of the Rockets' program and more to do with the state of high school football in Kentucky.

The best Rockcastle defenses I remember were those teams in the early 2000's that were lightning quick, sure tackling, and aggressive. The team that immediately comes to mind for me was that squad who allowed less than 100 yards rushing an entire seasons led by players like Bussell, Greg Harper, and the like.

That team was not very big, but they were lightning fast, fundamentally sound, and had a ton of depth who filled their roles just as good as the starters. Those Rockcastle teams were too quick for offensive lines to block, too athletic to beat to the corner, and were very well drilled.

I have no doubt that greener pastures are ahead for Rockcastle defensively, but the decrease in the number of kids they have since the early 2000's will drastically effect depth and increase the likelihood of having to depend on underclassmen to fill roles. It also can't be denied that the coaching change will directly be reflected as both Larkey and the Asst. Coach were defensive guru's. Another aspect is that I feel Bell County has been particularly "up" in recent years and other teams who frequent Rock's schedule have improved as well (think Pulaski County, Knox Central,etc)

That team would be the 2001 team that went 14-1 that allowed -42 yards in 10 games and 184 overall through 15 games, awesome defense by William Blair,PJ Rowe,Adam Childress,Clay Dooley,Tanner Abney,Jason Leger,Michael Brummett,Nick Thomas and others.
Tony Saylor is still in charge as always, he makes about 45% of the offensives call and does about 97% of the defense. It has taken other teams 4 to 5 years to figure out there defensive scheme, must go to something else crazy or will continue to give up big #'s. If Rock was 5-0 and giving up -42 yards a game he would be glad to except it.