Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Backs in the State
Who are some of THE best backs in the state? Lets try and give an unbiased opinion as well.

Just to name a few off the top of my head:

Austin Collinsworth - Highlands
Tyrell Willis - Calloway County
Tevin McCaden - Bryan Station
Channing Fugate - Breathitt County
Thomas Varney - Belfry
Corey Davenport - Bell County
Rees MacShara - Boyle County
Josh Alber - Ashland Blazer
Miles Simpson - Simon Kenton
Jeremiah Neal - St. Xavier
Any stats on Collinsworth?
Darell Cross - Rowan County
Corey Lyle and Rashard Carter and Terry Waugh, of GC, Ashlands Alber.
I've seen Albers play and he is a beast.
WildDawg Wrote:Darell Cross - Rowan County

I will second that!!!!

Man amongst boys.
Dominick Carton- Bell County
Matt Rains- Bell County
Clark Rowe- Rockcastle County
Alex Abner- Pulaski County
Thoams Varney has to be on your list unless you haven't
seen this kid he is something to watch his a very nice
young man and a great football player.
Miles Simpson and Channing Fugate
Simpson, IMO, is still firmly planted at the top of the heap. But there has been some moving and shaking behind him.

Stock Rising:
Collinsworth- Best player on what may very well be the best team in the State

McShara- Having huge season and Boyle is looking dominating.

Alber- Ashland has been a pleasant surprise and last week's win over Ironton certainly helped.

Varney- The one man show. He is carrying Belfry on his shoulders back into the 3A Title picture.

Stock Falling:
Quan Weaver- Sadly his season was ended by injury.

Tyrrell Willis- Stats look pretty good but supposedly some off the field issues have had some bigger schools call off on calling on him.

Channing Fugate- His team is struggling and for all intensive purposes so is Fugate. Nowhere near the stat line as last season or even for that matter his Sophomore year.
Simpson - Simon Kenton
Collinsworth - HHS
Quanoo - Boone County
Kelly - Newport Catholic
even though im a pikeville man...i still think you should throw Nememiah Doderer in there....even though hes at class A he has over a 1,000 yards already and he put up almost 200 against lawerance county.....
panthernation Wrote:even though im a pikeville man...i still think you should throw Nememiah Doderer in there....even though hes at class A he has over a 1,000 yards already and he put up almost 200 against lawerance county.....
200 yards against a Lawrence County JV!
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Who are some of THE best backs in the state? Lets try and give an unbiased opinion as well.

Thomas Varney - Belfry

ROCKSOLID69 Wrote:Rees MacShara - Boyle County
Dominick Carton- Bell County
Matt Rains- Bell County
Clark Rowe- Rockcastle County
Alex Abner- Pulaski County

Both are quality lists! I have my favorites bolded!

We should put up a top ten list and let people vote on who they think are the top five. Would that be possible or favored?
Oh I forgot to mention that Clark Rowe is only 14!
The best right now is Collinsworth. Anyone object? If so, why?
Logan Crowder is a tough back....he doesn't have the best speed but he is one of the most powerful players in the state...i'm not saying he is the very best the state has to offer but he deserves to be in the conversation...at 1A level of course...
I know it is the team I root for BUT East Jess has two backs that deserve mention.

Cameron Thomas (Soph) -- 56 Carries for 639 yards, 5 TD's
Austin Hager (Jr) -- 92 Carries for 546 yards, 4 TD's
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Who are some of THE best backs in the state? Lets try and give an unbiased opinion as well.

Thomas Varney - Belfry

Not having a very impressive year.. but Macshara is the best back in the state. imo.
Channing Fugate is tough.
all of bells backs the kid from boyle and the collinsworth from highlands i think thats his name but i dont see how you can put the fugate kid from breathitt on there unless you are talking the past couple years but if it is just this year he ant on my list and dont forget the varney kid the game he had against whitley was legendary
SolidOxygen Wrote:Not having a very impressive year.. but Macshara is the best back in the state. imo.

He may not be putting up stats like last season, but he is a man amongst boys.
Austin Collinsworth stats through 4 games:

47 carries, 536 yards, 10 td's

AC is the most athletic back in the state and IMO is the best back out there. When you see him play, some of the things he does is just unreal. Simpson is a very, very good back but Austin Collinsworth gets my vote as the best back in the state. He can do it all...run between the tackles for tough yardage, run outside and burn you with his speed, or catch a screen and take it 90 yards to paydirt.

As far as Fugate goes, I don't think he's deserving of a top 5 ranking. He simply hasn't put up the numbers to back up the statements made about him. Not sure what BC lost over the past two years but did anyone else think that maybe his offensive line had a lot to do with the stats he had put up?

Someone else that could be mentioned is Travis Elliott of Ryle. The SOPHOMORE has rushed for 630+ yards through 4 games....keep in mind this has come against some pretty stiff nky competition as well. (Covcath, Highlands, Newcath, Dixie)
kywldcat01 Wrote:Austin Collinsworth stats through 4 games:

47 carries, 536 yards, 10 td's

AC is the most athletic back in the state and IMO is the best back out there. When you see him play, some of the things he does is just unreal. Simpson is a very, very good back but Austin Collinsworth gets my vote as the best back in the state. He can do it all...run between the tackles for tough yardage, run outside and burn you with his speed, or catch a screen and take it 90 yards to paydirt.

As far as Fugate goes, I don't think he's deserving of a top 5 ranking. He simply hasn't put up the numbers to back up the statements made about him. Not sure what BC lost over the past two years but did anyone else think that maybe his offensive line had a lot to do with the stats he had put up?

Someone else that could be mentioned is Travis Elliott of Ryle. The SOPHOMORE has rushed for 630+ yards through 4 games....keep in mind this has come against some pretty stiff nky competition as well. (Covcath, Highlands, Newcath, Dixie)

Can't disgagree with anything you said except when comparing Simpson and Collinworth to me the one thing that stands out is if you take Simpson off of SK, they probably are a 2 win team. If you take Collinsworth off of Highlands they still win the 5A Title. These two are, IMO, the best of the best in the state thusfar, but it is pretty evident that Collinsworth clearly has more talent surrounding him.
Nehemiah Doderer suffers from having no talent surounding him and still has over 1,000 yards rushing in 5 games. See for your self at http://www.afctube.com Just because kids dont play for big name schools doesnt mean there not at the same level of talent. Im pretty sure all the kids that have been mentioned have a good line to run behind and other athletes on the team. Doderer has neither!
I looked on maxpreps and when Coach Haywood adds the stats Thomas Varney should be about 14th in the nation. Do the math yourself if you'd like.
Belfry0304 Wrote:I looked on maxpreps and when Coach Haywood adds the stats Thomas Varney should be about 14th in the nation. Do the math yourself if you'd like.

THOMAS VARNEY

96 Carries, 885 yards, 9 TD (9.2 yards per carry, 177 yards per game)
3 Receptions, 115 yards, TD (38.3 yads per catch)
1/1 Passing, 35 yards, TD (game winning TD I might add)
2 Kick Return TD's
1/1 FG
15 XP's
1 2-pt Conversion

207.0 offensive yards per game (does not include return yards)
98 points scored (19.6 pts per game)
Each time He touches it on offense, be it by a run, pass, or catch, he is averaging 10.35 yards.

All this despite playing up in class in all but one game (that team was Prestonsburg a Top 5 2A team)
The varney kid is very good..but alot of attention should be on cory davenport this kid is just a sophmore he is gonnna be very good in the future...:rockon:
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Can't disgagree with anything you said except when comparing Simpson and Collinworth to me the one thing that stands out is if you take Simpson off of SK, they probably are a 2 win team. If you take Collinsworth off of Highlands they still win the 5A Title. These two are, IMO, the best of the best in the state thusfar, but it is pretty evident that Collinsworth clearly has more talent surrounding him.

I have to respectfully disagree with you there. SK is a VERY talented team and showed they can win without Simpson when they beat Newcath the first game of the year 29-7 without Simpson really playing. Sage Powell is just as fast as Simpson, but not as strong. Lawrence is a legit dual threat QB that can pass and run very well. They also have a very good offensive line, led by D1 recruit Jordan Hansel. Defensively, they have some nice players as well that work together well as a team. SK would still be a top 5 team in NKY this year with or without Simpson.

As far as Collinsworth goes, he is what pushes Highlands to that next level. They've showed they can win without him, but whenever they need a big play they always put the ball in his hands. He is the X-factor for Highlands. No disrespect to Fennell or Streeter, but they aren't nearly as talented as AC.

Both players make their teams significantly better though and that's why they are being recruited the way they are and are in discussions like this.