Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collinsworth's move to RB safe call for Mueller
It didn't take long for Highlands coach Dale Mueller to figure out that moving multipurpose senior Austin Collinsworth to running back this season was the right move.

"The first day of spring practice, he ran the ball 90 yards for a touchdown against our first-team defense," said Mueller. "I already had a pretty good idea, but we knew right then he was in the right place to help us."

Collinsworth, son of former Bengals wide receiver and NBC "Sunday Night Football" analyst Cris Collinsworth, appeared as if he might be following in his father's footsteps last season when he caught 46 passes for 840 yards and six touchdowns in helping the Bluebirds go 14-1 and repeat as Class 5A state champions.

And actually, Collinsworth playing receiver marked the first time Mueller changed his mind about where the athlete might play - for Highlands and beyond.

"As a sophomore, I really pictured him being a pro at safety - and he still might be. Then last year, I really felt he would be a pro at wide receiver along the lines of Wes Welker. And now I picture him as a pro running back," said Mueller. "It's his spot."

Collinsworth, who served as a backup running back as a sophomore in addition to starting in the secondary, was moved back to running back this season to fill a void left by the graduation of Clint Crawford, Josh Conner and Oliver Head, who all rushed for more than 300 yards, led by Crawford's 902.

That, coupled with the return of solid receivers Nick Buten, Daniel Gold and David Hogue, along with tight end Brandon Roller, made the switch an easy choice.

"He really gave us a total dimension at wide receiver with things we could do with quick screens, and he's such a factor deep that he really helped us expand the field, but we really wanted to get him more touches," said Mueller. "It's hard to get the ball in any receiver's hands more than 10 times a game, but now we can get it to him 30 times a game."

Collinsworth has gained 15-20 pounds of muscle on his 6-foot frame, but he probably won't carry 30 times a game. In addition to rushing, he will be used as a receiver coming out of the backfield and as a kick returner. Last season he had five kick returns for touchdowns.

The position switch is just fine by Collinsworth.

"Ideally I would like to play running back at the next level, so this is my chance to prove that," he said. "I just love to play as much as possible, and this gives me that chance."

http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...908200321/