Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence Co. Ace Chandler Shepherd
As always, Mr. Kimball makes very valid points and is knowledgeable regarding this surgery. Being someone that is close to Chandler's family, I can without reservation say that he has not been overpitched. He likely is one of the only high school kids who's parents still keep a pitch count on him every game. He has never been abused or overused. Coach Keeton never. Coach Feltner even more so never. And Midland not in the least. For those who want to say that summer ball did this, they are wrong. For the record, he has thrown a total of 7 innings since June. At Midland, you do not play numerous positions. Pitchers don't bat (as a general rule) not do they play field positions. I know that Chandler began to "feel" that something was not quite right at the state tournament. His rotation at LC the last season was about every 7 or 8 days. The closest 2 games he threw were in sectional play. He did not pitch at Midland until 16 days after the state tournament. Summer ball is not anymore to blame for his injury than anything else. It just happens.
I was told that this injury is not uncommon-especially for a kid with his body size and frame that throws with the incredible velocity he does.
As Kimball stated, this is by no means a career ending injury. The rehab will be intense but with luck he will come back his senior year as strong or stronger than he is now. There is no doubt this has been a tremendous blow to him.

The main point to remember here is this. He is just a kid and we should all be keeping him in our prayers for a safe surgery and a successful rehabilitation.
I wish Chandler nothing but the best and a quick and speedy recovery. He is a tremendous talent with a very bright future ahead of him. I heard Dr. Timothy Kremchek (sp?) is going to be his surgeon, aside from Dr. Andrews in Birmingham he is the best at his trade.
IRISH4 Wrote:I wish Chandler nothing but the best and a quick and speedy recovery. He is a tremendous talent with a very bright future ahead of him. I heard Dr. Timothy Kremchek (sp?) is going to be his surgeon, aside from Dr. Andrews in Birmingham he is the best at his trade.
A fairly recent Paintsville grad is a pretty good one too. Adam Smith was with Dr. Ireland @ the Kentucky Sports Clinic. He moved to Jackson, Tennessee about a year ago.

But I agree, Kremchek is about as good as they come.
Dawg@heart Wrote:As always, Mr. Kimball makes very valid points and is knowledgeable regarding this surgery. Being someone that is close to Chandler's family, I can without reservation say that he has not been overpitched. He likely is one of the only high school kids who's parents still keep a pitch count on him every game. He has never been abused or overused. Coach Keeton never. Coach Feltner even more so never. And Midland not in the least. For those who want to say that summer ball did this, they are wrong. For the record, he has thrown a total of 7 innings since June. At Midland, you do not play numerous positions. Pitchers don't bat (as a general rule) not do they play field positions. I know that Chandler began to "feel" that something was not quite right at the state tournament. His rotation at LC the last season was about every 7 or 8 days. The closest 2 games he threw were in sectional play. He did not pitch at Midland until 16 days after the state tournament. Summer ball is not anymore to blame for his injury than anything else. It just happens.
I was told that this injury is not uncommon-especially for a kid with his body size and frame that throws with the incredible velocity he does.
As Kimball stated, this is by no means a career ending injury. The rehab will be intense but with luck he will come back his senior year as strong or stronger than he is now. There is no doubt this has been a tremendous blow to him.

The main point to remember here is this. He is just a kid and we should all be keeping him in our prayers for a safe surgery and a successful rehabilitation.

An athlete knows when his/her body isn't performing correctly, so when he "felt" something wasn't right at the state tourney, why did anyone even let him pitch those 7 innings with Midland?

I hate to hear this type of injury happening to anyone. Prayers go up to him for a superb surgery and recovery
Lefty Wrote:An athlete knows when his/her body isn't performing correctly, so when he "felt" something wasn't right at the state tourney, why did anyone even let him pitch those 7 innings with Midland?

I hate to hear this type of injury happening to anyone. Prayers go up to him for a superb surgery and recovery

Did the parents take him to see a Doctor after his arm bothered him in the State tourney?
from the medical standpoint, his recovery will be two-fold from what I've read about UCL surgeries, the rehab for his arm and the rehab for his shoulder, due to his inactivity while recovering from this type of surgery will mean his shoulder will have to be rehabed back into pitching form or he could possibly lose it to a rotator cuff injury, Dr. Krumchek is one of the best in following with post surgery rehab programs
Lefty Wrote:from the medical standpoint, his recovery will be two-fold from what I've read about UCL surgeries, the rehab for his arm and the rehab for his shoulder, due to his inactivity while recovering from this type of surgery will mean his shoulder will have to be rehabed back into pitching form or he could possibly lose it to a rotator cuff injury, Dr. Krumchek is one of the best in following with post surgery rehab programs

It's Kremchek, and yes, he is second only to Dr. Andrews in Shoulder and Elbow surgeries for professional athletes.
Lefty Wrote:An athlete knows when his/her body isn't performing correctly, so when he "felt" something wasn't right at the state tourney, why did anyone even let him pitch those 7 innings with Midland?

Yes we was treated by Midland's team doctor. The seven innings were not at one time. 4 innings one game 2 weeks later 2 innings. Then 1 in Atlanta
Dawg@heart Wrote:Yes we was treated by Midland's team doctor. The seven innings were not at one time. 4 innings one game 2 weeks later 2 innings. Then 1 in Atlanta

Thanks for the update DH. This this was defintely not overuse by the young mans summer team
Lefty Wrote:from the medical standpoint, his recovery will be two-fold from what I've read about UCL surgeries, the rehab for his arm and the rehab for his shoulder, due to his inactivity while recovering from this type of surgery will mean his shoulder will have to be rehabed back into pitching form or he could possibly lose it to a rotator cuff injury, Dr. Krumchek is one of the best in following with post surgery rehab programs
Actually, the lower back and side muscles on his left side will be involved in just as much therapy as his shoulder on his right side will be, to create what we will refer to as an equilibrium. This is the same therapy that is also used to rehab from rotator cuff and labrum problems.
Hate to hear this for the kid. Hope he has a flawless recovery.
Good Luck Chandler and recover quickly.
When is his surgery again? Or has he already had it?
^ I don't think it was posted as to when.
Stardust Wrote:Thanks for the update DH. This this was defintely not overuse by the young mans summer team
I totally agree it's not from playing summer ball. I think the problem starts at Middle School, because they are throwing the same distance as High School players. I've seen some Middle School players throw gas and by the time they hit high school they fizzle out. Some kids are exceptional to this, there are some kids that are already matured at a young age. But it still takes a toll on arm strength. Do you know by any chance what age he started throwing curve balls? I was wondering because I had this same type of injury from throwing junk at a young age. I never had surgery but dealt with the pain. My cousin had the same type of pain from too many sliders, and he had surgery. I've watched the video on his surgery. He never fully recovered and still had a popping in his rotary cuff. I wish Chandler the best and a speedy recovery. Here is a link for some young pitchers to learn to take proper care of your arm.

http://books.google.com/books?id=rbdgekW...t&resnum=2
Fullmetaljacket8 Wrote:I totally agree it's not from playing summer ball. I think the problem starts at Middle School, because they are throwing the same distance as High School players. I've seen some Middle School players throw gas and by the time they hit high school they fizzle out. Some kids are exceptional to this, there are some kids that are already matured at a young age. But it still takes a toll on arm strength. Do you know by any chance what age he started throwing curve balls? I was wondering because I had this same type of injury from throwing junk at a young age. I never had surgery but dealt with the pain. My cousin had the same type of pain from too many sliders, and he had surgery. I've watched the video on his surgery. He never fully recovered and still had a popping in his rotary cuff. I wish Chandler the best and a speedy recovery. Here is a link for some young pitchers to learn to take proper care of your arm.

FMJ8, this was a great post and thank you for sharing!:Thumbs:
Fullmetaljacket8 Wrote:I totally agree it's not from playing summer ball. I think the problem starts at Middle School, because they are throwing the same distance as High School players. I've seen some Middle School players throw gas and by the time they hit high school they fizzle out. Some kids are exceptional to this, there are some kids that are already matured at a young age. But it still takes a toll on arm strength. Do you know by any chance what age he started throwing curve balls? I was wondering because I had this same type of injury from throwing junk at a young age. I never had surgery but dealt with the pain. My cousin had the same type of pain from too many sliders, and he had surgery. I've watched the video on his surgery. He never fully recovered and still had a popping in his rotary cuff. I wish Chandler the best and a speedy recovery. Here is a link for some young pitchers to learn to take proper care of your arm.

Thanks for link. Very good!!!
Magnum PI Wrote:When is his surgery again? Or has he already had it?

I think it was today.
kybaseball Wrote:I think it was today.

Please keep us posted of anything that you learn
My son Scott Little had this surgery at the end of his jr. year. He showed great improvement for a long time and was able to pitch to a total of 15 batters at the end of his sr year as part of his rehab. Not being able to pitch his senior year a lot of colleges which showed interest early similpy forgot him. He was able to get a schlorship to John Logan jr. college after going to the Smokies showcase. Thats about the last of the good news, although he got back up to 88-89 he couldn't maintain it. He only pitched 4 innings in college and's not going back to school this fall. The rehab program in intense and Scott worked his *** off. I hope Shepherd does better, there's nothing much harder than watching a son forced to give up on something he loves as much as Scott loved to pitch. If we can help in any way someone can PM me. I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK YOUNG MAN.
bad hop Wrote:My son Scott Little had this surgery at the end of his jr. year. He showed great improvement for a long time and was able to pitch to a total of 15 batters at the end of his sr year as part of his rehab. Not being able to pitch his senior year a lot of colleges which showed interest early similpy forgot him. He was able to get a schlorship to John Logan jr. college after going to the Smokies showcase. Thats about the last of the good news, although he got back up to 88-89 he couldn't maintain it. He only pitched 4 innings in college and's not going back to school this fall. The rehab program in intense and Scott worked his *** off. I hope Shepherd does better, there's nothing much harder than watching a son forced to give up on something he loves as much as Scott loved to pitch. If we can help in any way someone can PM me. I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK YOUNG MAN.
I talked to Scott's summer coach just yesterday, wondering how Scott was doing and he told me of this decision. I really hated to hear that he wasn't going to continue. Scott had a lot of potential, and I sincerly wish things had worked out better for him. I watched one of my own sons miss his senior year of high school and have watched him battle one injury after another his whole college career. It's a tough thing to watch your son give it every ounce of everything they have to do something they love and just take it all on the chin and keep on plugging. But, it's made me proud to see what he has in him, and I'm sure you feel just as proud. There come a day for all of them when they just cant do it anymore. Take consolation in this though John, Scottie never has to prove anything to anybody. I can tell you this, his summer coach thinks that he is just about a fine a person that he has ever been around. Those who really know the game will never question how special of a player/person he is. Best of luck and best wishes to you and Scottie.
Does anyone think this will hurt Sheperd
as a college/professional prospect
cricket Wrote:Does anyone think this will hurt Sheperd
as a college/professional prospect

Only if he does not work himself back into condition. For anyone familiar with the surgery, Chandler will physically be stronger than before. Pitchers usually pick-up 3-6 MPH on their fast ball. So can he be just as good as before? I say he can be better, simply because he will now be healthy. The reason that the ligament tore in the first place is because it was already weak. This is similar to a broken bone. When the bone heals, it's stronger than it was before it broke.

But, and the BIG BUT, is his dedication to get himself back in condition and how closely he follows his program. It sounds like this kid has that type of work ethic, but I've seen it happen before where a superstar athlete gets injured, and all of a sudden their priority's change. We shall see.
I think he will be IF and thats a big if he doesn't try and get back to soon. He has 2 years of high school ball left I think he should set his goal for his senior year. By that I mean I hope he does his rehab by the book and don't try and come back to early. Right now time is on his side. And yes after the surgery he should be stronger in his arm and he still has the chance to play at the next level thats for sure but it will come down to will he do it right and stay on the proper time table for his rehab and will he work his tail off to get back to where his was at or better . I think he will good luck shep and We will miss you this year both in base ball and foot ball. But we can't wait till your senior year and watch you bring it from the mound like we know you will. :Clap:
Dawg Family Wrote:I think he will be IF and thats a big if he doesn't try and get back to soon. He has 2 years of high school ball left I think he should set his goal for his senior year. By that I mean I hope he does his rehab by the book and don't try and come back to early. Right now time is on his side. And yes after the surgery he should be stronger in his arm and he still has the chance to play at the next level thats for sure but it will come down to will he do it right and stay on the proper time table for his rehab and will he work his tail off to get back to where his was at or better . I think he will good luck shep and We will miss you this year both in base ball and foot ball. But we can't wait till your senior year and watch you bring it from the mound like we know you will. :Clap:

Absolutely AWESOME Post! Great thoughtfulness and insight. You did a great job, not that you need my approval for anything, but I am extremely impressed :worthy:

:Thumbs:
Chandler will be fine,
LINEDRIVE Wrote:Chandler will be fine,

Any updates?
Stardust Wrote:Any updates?

Chandler is back home and in school. Doing great . Started his therapy in Cincinnati last week and is now taking therapy in Louisa.

Let's all keep him in our prayers.
yes I feel sorry for him...he has a bracket on his arm and is not allowed to pitch this year.....sorry but he will be back next year....