Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boyd Co Summerball Tournament
Anyone have any details on how the Boyd Co. Summerball Tournament turned out?

I read on another site (that I'm not a member of) that Montgomery Co. beat Harrison Co. 3-1, but no details were given. Was this the championship game or pool play? No matter, Congrats to Montgomery on a nice win. Harrison may not have the cakewalk they think they will next year in the 10th region.
10thregionfan Wrote:Anyone have any details on how the Boyd Co. Summerball Tournament turned out?

I read on another site (that I'm not a member of) that Montgomery Co. beat Harrison Co. 3-1, but no details were given. Was this the championship game or pool play? No matter, Congrats to Montgomery on a nice win. Harrison may not have the cakewalk they think they will next year in the 10th region.

Summerball results generally have very little to do with what happens in the regular high school season.
Very true. Most of your more talented players are ussually in Legion or some other form of travel ball.
Harrison won the round robin tournament with a 4-1 record. Their only loss was to Montgomery Co. 3-1. One of the best teams in the tournament I thought was Cabell-Midland. Was told they were a team made up of surrounding high schools from Huntington, someone correct me if I’m wrong. I think Cabell-Midland finished 4-1 also, with their only loss coming to Harrison 8-0. Tiebreaker goes to Harrison by Head to Head win. MC finished the weekend 2-3 with wins over Fleming Co. 15-5 and Harrison Co. 3-1. MC’s losses were to Lawrence Co. 1-2, Cabell-Midland 0-1 and Boyd 2-5. I was very pleased with MC pitching and defense this weekend. A couple of hits here or there and they win a couple more games. I’m not sure how the rest of the teams finished. This was a very strong field for a summer high school tournament and Boyd did a great job hosting the tournament.

Mr. Kimball, I agree 100% summerball has very little to do with high school season, but this win over Harrison will give Coach Combs and MC something to build on this up an coming high school season. When you’re in the 10th region and you can get a win over Harrison, be it summer or high school, you enjoy it because it doesn’t happen very often and that’s nothing but respect for Harrison’s program.

Magnum P.I., normally I would agree with your statement. If Harrison Co. kids want to play for Harrison Co in the spring they play for Harrison in the summer and not legion or travel ball. Year in and year out Harrison will compete with most legion and travel teams.

10th regionfan, don’t read too much into MC win, it was a summer game and that’s all. As an MC fan I hate to say it, but Harrison will be the dominant team in the 10th 2010. They are loaded with upper classman who have been there and done that!!
643DP Wrote:Harrison won the round robin tournament with a 4-1 record. Their only loss was to Montgomery Co. 3-1. One of the best teams in the tournament I thought was Cabell-Midland. Was told they were a team made up of surrounding high schools from Huntington, someone correct me if I’m wrong. I think Cabell-Midland finished 4-1 also, with their only loss coming to Harrison 8-0. Tiebreaker goes to Harrison by Head to Head win. MC finished the weekend 2-3 with wins over Fleming Co. 15-5 and Harrison Co. 3-1. MC’s losses were to Lawrence Co. 1-2, Cabell-Midland 0-1 and Boyd 2-5. I was very pleased with MC pitching and defense this weekend. A couple of hits here or there and they win a couple more games. I’m not sure how the rest of the teams finished. This was a very strong field for a summer high school tournament and Boyd did a great job hosting the tournament.

Mr. Kimball, I agree 100% summerball has very little to do with high school season, but this win over Harrison will give Coach Combs and MC something to build on this up an coming high school season. When you’re in the 10th region and you can get a win over Harrison, be it summer or high school, you enjoy it because it doesn’t happen very often and that’s nothing but respect for Harrison’s program.

Magnum P.I., normally I would agree with your statement. If Harrison Co. kids want to play for Harrison Co in the spring they play for Harrison in the summer and not legion or travel ball. Year in and year out Harrison will compete with most legion and travel teams.

10th regionfan, don’t read too much into MC win, it was a summer game and that’s all. As an MC fan I hate to say it, but Harrison will be the dominant team in the 10th 2010. They are loaded with upper classman who have been there and done that!!

I would say that their is some accuracy to that. Caball-Midland has a huge amount of players that play for the Huntington Patriots summer travel teams. They have like 4 different age groups in that organization.
I know Harrison will be the big favorite in 10th this coming year. I was just glad to see someone from the 10th give them an L, be it summer or high school season. Looking at the scores MC must have more pitching than I thought they would. I know they graduated at least three starting pitchers this year.