Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
9th Region 2009/2010
What are everyone's thoughts as to who will come out of the 9th this year?

Obviously Holmes is the favorite with what they return, but what teams could potentially be a road block for them?
My top 10 teams:

1. Holmes
2. Highlands
3. Boone Co
4. Ryle
5. Newcath
6. Conner
7. Dixie
8. Newport
9. Covcath
10. Holy Cross
In my opinion none of the teams in the 9th Region can match up with Holmes. But, I can see Boone Co. giving them a potential game. But, not to much of a game.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
MisterPerfect Wrote:In my opinion none of the teams in the 9th Region can match up with Holmes. But, I can see Boone Co. giving them a potential game. But, not to much of a game.

I think Highlands will give Holmes a much better game and has more of a chance to knock them off than Boone does.

Why?

1. Holmes will have to play Highlands at Highlands. Highlands returns everyone from last year's team that only lost to Holmes by 9 AT Holmes. That same team also scored the second most points on Holmes last season (68), so they have the offensive firepower to keep up with Holmes. The past two times Holmes has played at Highlands, they've won in overtime one game and had to make a late comeback in the 4th quarter to win the other. I also think Highlands has the front court (Grubbs 6'5 , Watson 6'5 , Dill 6'4 , Stewart 6'5) to rebound with Holmes and they have a very solid back court with Kowlonek (6'2), Grote (6'1), and Gordon (6'0).

2. Boone will have to travel to Holmes. The last time this group played Holmes at Holmes, they lost by 20 points. Boone also showed this past year that they simply don't have the offense to score many points against Holmes. (29 points in a loss and 45 in a win) Not to mention, Boone loses their leader in Mcfarland and also loses 2 other key contributors in Brown and Spaulding. Boone lacks the size to rebound with Holmes.

Looking at the match ups, Highlands matches up with Holmes much better than Boone:

(Excluding Avery since nothing is official yet)
Holmes v Highlands

6'0 Mayfield v 6'1 Grote
6'5 R. Johnson v 6'2 Kowlonek
6'5 J. Johnson v 6'4 Dill
6'6 Rice v 6'5 Watson
6'8 Pittman v 6'5 Grubbs

Holmes v Boone:

6'0 Mayfield v 6'0 Popp
6'5 R. Johnson v 6'0 Gabbard
6'5 J. Johnson v 6'3 Cotton
6'6 Rice v 6'3 Montgomery/6'4 Brown
6'8 Pittman v 6'6 Earls

Now if Avery (6'3) ends up at Holmes like everyone believes he will (including Coach Henley according to a Ryan Ernst blog), then all becomes moot IMO and Holmes walks through the region because nobody will have the talent, size, or athleticism to compete with that starting lineup.
Ryle is a team in the 9th that has a chance to be really good Imo.
tezzy859 Wrote:Ryle is a team in the 9th that has a chance to be really good Imo.

Aren't you on Bluegrass Preps?
tezzy859 Wrote:Ryle is a team in the 9th that has a chance to be really good Imo.

Ryle could a darkhorse to emerge as one of the top 3 teams in the region. Their size will make them tough. They're one of that few teams that should be able to match up with Holmes:

6'2 Mcleish
6'4 Coleman
6'4 Vollet
6'5 Stauffer
6'7 Nichols
BTW, I spoke with Kevon Rice of Holmes yesterday and he informed me that 6'2 Junior to be, Naire Jones, is transferring back to Newport. Jones was a key member on the Holmes jv team this past season after Kevon was pulled up to strictly varsity.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Ryle could a darkhorse to emerge as one of the top 3 teams in the region. Their size will make them tough. They're one of that few teams that should be able to match up with Holmes:

6'2 Mcleish
6'4 Coleman
6'4 Vollet
6'5 Stauffer
6'7 Nichols

I think a lot of people are over looking Ryle. It seems everybody wants to make the 9th a three horse race with Holmes, Highlands, and Boone. The 9th is deeper than what most people think. I agree Holmes is hands down number one, but imo Ryle will be just as good as Highlands and Boone.
tezzy859 Wrote:I think a lot of people are over looking Ryle. It seems everybody wants to make the 9th a three horse race with Holmes, Highlands, and Boone. The 9th is deeper than what most people think. I agree Holmes is hands down number one, but imo Ryle will be just as good as Highlands and Boone.

I agree Tez. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Ryle ended up winning the 33rd this year. Coleman is one of the more underrated players in the area and Stauffer has really improved since last year.

I too think Holmes is the hands down favorite but Boone, Highlands, and Ryle will battle it out for trying to take over as the 2nd best team in the area.

I'd give Highlands and Boone the early nod over Ryle though since Highlands returns everyone from last year and Boone returns 4 of their top 7 from last year.
kywldcat01 Wrote:BTW, I spoke with Kevon Rice of Holmes yesterday and he informed me that 6'2 Junior to be, Naire Jones, is transferring back to Newport. Jones was a key member on the Holmes jv team this past season after Kevon was pulled up to strictly varsity.

I don't think he would have seen much varsity time at Holmes over the next two years. Holmes has a lot ball players that are under classmen such as Tony Collins, D. Rice, and Lewis all three where freshman last year. Than you got McClendon, Beal, and Avery who where 7th and 8th graders last year. The depth at Holmes at his position is very deep. Imo this a very wise move for Jones. He will shine at Newport.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I agree Tez. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Ryle ended up winning the 33rd this year. Coleman is one of the more underrated players in the area and Stauffer has really improved since last year.

I too think Holmes is the hands down favorite but Boone, Highlands, and Ryle will battle it out for trying to take over as the 2nd best team in the area.

I'd give Highlands and Boone the early nod over Ryle though since Highlands returns everyone from last year and Boone returns 4 of their top 7 from last year.

I just think Ryle is to big for BOONE. As you stated in another thread Boone lost Spaulding, McFarland, and Brown. Those three was the heart and soul of that team. Gabbard is a great pg, but with McFarland's leadership and play making ability gone, I think they will struggle to score against good half court defense. They seem to lack an outside game. I see Ryle playing an packed in defense and I see it giving Boone fits. I could be wrong but I got a feeling about Ryle this year. It seems every year Ryle has the height and hype. But this the year I see Ryle making some noise.
tezzy859 Wrote:I don't think he would have seen much varsity time at Holmes over the next two years. Holmes has a lot ball players that are under classmen such as Tony Collins, D. Rice, and Lewis all three where freshman last year. Than you got McClendon, Beal, and Avery who where 7th and 8th graders last year. The depth at Holmes at his position is very deep. Imo this a very wise move for Jones. He will shine at Newport.

From speaking to Kevon, Jones wouldn't have saw much time which is the reason for him transferring back to Newport.

There is indeed a lot of underclassmen talent down there in Covington though. Look for Chris Hayes and Jaleel Gray to be regular varsity contributors this coming season off the bench at the guard position along with Pierre Mayfield who will battle it out with Avery for that 5th starting position. The junior class at Holmes is VERY GOOD with Rice, Mayfield, Hayes, and Gray. They kind of remind me of the c/o 2000 that was led by Marco Hallman, Al Huff, Deshaun Jackson, and Jerry Weaver. That team lost to a loaded Newcath team (led by Ronny Dawn) in the 9th region finals that year despite being guard oriented like this group.

In the sophomore class you have Collins, Lewis, and D. Rice. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Dontel Rice is going to be every bit as talented as his brother Kevon and may even end up being better. At 6'4, he is very explosive, has a smooth mid range game, and handles the ball very well for his size...not to mention the kid has unreal athleticism. Look for him to see some varsity action later in the year as well at the 3.

I don't see Mcclendon being a starter until his junior year, but he'll end up being a rare 4 yr varsity letterman for the Bulldogs. He'll contribute this coming season off the bench as the 8th or 9th man.

One name we haven't even mentioned in this thread is Willie Slusher. Willie has gotten bigger since last year (probably in the 6'4 range now) and should contribute at the 3 or 4 this coming season as well.

This very well could end up being one of Henley's deepest teams that he's ever had...and that includes the 2008 team with Henderson and co.
tezzy859 Wrote:I just think Ryle is to big for BOONE. As you stated in another thread Boone lost Spaulding, McFarland, and Brown. Those three was the heart and soul of that team. Gabbard is a great pg, but with McFarland's leadership and play making ability gone, I think they will struggle to score against good half court defense. They seem to lack an outside game. I see Ryle playing an packed in defense and I see it giving Boone fits. I could be wrong but I got a feeling about Ryle this year. It seems every year Ryle has the height and hype. But this the year I see Ryle making some noise.

The talent is definetly there for Ryle, but they've seemed to underachieve every year they receive a lot of hype. I personally think this could be their year to get over the hump, but only time will tell.

One thing's for sure...the 9th will be very competitive this coming season. Holmes should be the best team in the state with Highlands being top 15 and both Boone and Ryle possibly cracking the top 25. Conner, Newcath, Dixie, and Newport will also be very competitive. Teams will have to bring their "A" game every night.
kywldcat01 Wrote:From speaking to Kevon, Jones wouldn't have saw much time which is the reason for him transferring back to Newport.

There is indeed a lot of underclassmen talent down there in Covington though. Look for Chris Hayes and Jaleel Gray to be regular varsity contributors this coming season off the bench at the guard position along with Pierre Mayfield who will battle it out with Avery for that 5th starting position. The junior class at Holmes is VERY GOOD with Rice, Mayfield, Hayes, and Gray. They kind of remind me of the c/o 2000 that was led by Marco Hallman, Al Huff, Deshaun Jackson, and Jerry Weaver. That team lost to a loaded Newcath team (led by Ronny Dawn) in the 9th region finals that year despite being guard oriented like this group.

In the sophomore class you have Collins, Lewis, and D. Rice. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Dontel Rice is going to be every bit as talented as his brother Kevon and may even end up being better. At 6'4, he is very explosive, has a smooth mid range game, and handles the ball very well for his size...not to mention the kid has unreal athleticism. Look for him to see some varsity action later in the year as well at the 3.

I don't see Mcclendon being a starter until his junior year, but he'll end up being a rare 4 yr varsity letterman for the Bulldogs. He'll contribute this coming season off the bench as the 8th or 9th man.

One name we haven't even mentioned in this thread is Willie Slusher. Willie has gotten bigger since last year (probably in the 6'4 range now) and should contribute at the 3 or 4 this coming season as well.

This very well could end up being one of Henley's deepest teams that he's ever had...and that includes the 2008 team with Henderson and co.

I was wondering if you seen Collins play. He was MVP of the freshman team. One more name is Xylon Herndon, if he can get on track and get back in good graces with the coaching staff, I see Holmes winning the 9th the next two years. I agree this will be Henley's deepest team.
tezzy859 Wrote:I was wondering if you seen Collins play. He was MVP of the freshman team. One more name is Xylon Herndon, if he can get on track and get back in good graces with the coaching staff, I see Holmes winning the 9th the next two years. I agree this will be Henley's deepest team.

I haven't seen Collins play... How tall is he and what position does he play?

As far as Xylon goes, I wouldn't expect to see him suit up for the Dogs again...too many off the court issues. I don't think he'll be eligible this year because he's repeating the 9th grade.

IF he were to get his act together though and on the right track, he would be a huge addition to Holmes over the next few years. At 6'1, the kid can jump out of the gym for only being 14 yrs old.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I haven't seen Collins play... How tall is he and what position does he play?

As far as Xylon goes, I wouldn't expect to see him suit up for the Dogs again...too many off the court issues. I don't think he'll be eligible this year because he's repeating the 9th grade.

IF he were to get his act together though and on the right track, he would be a huge addition to Holmes over the next few years. At 6'1, the kid can jump out of the gym for only being 14 yrs old.

Let me start by saying I have classes with these kids, I am part of the class of 2012 at Holmes and know these kids well

Collins is hit a growth spurt last year and is in the upper 5'foot area(5'8-5'11) And plays PG. He is probably the best player out of any plaer there with the exception of the big three and Avery, but he will probably pass Avery.

Dontel is the real deal as well and I have played many games with, and against him.

Tre' Lewis though, isn't as good as those above. I have played with him numerous times and he just isn't on that level yet. I have outshined him ALOT of times. He has the pedigree for it though(Kevon is his brother, Dontel is his brother, and Tony Collins is his cousin)

Like tezzy mentioned Xylon is a kid that if his grade and atitude get better could do something. He has been hitting 360 dunks since 7th grade.
What does Boone have coming back. With McFarland leaving, I didn't think they were going to have much of a returning class.
Stardust Wrote:What does Boone have coming back. With McFarland leaving, I didn't think they were going to have much of a returning class.

Boone returns:

6'0 Gabbard
6'0 Popp
6'3 Cotton
6'6 Earls

Those four will likely be starters with either 6'3 Montgomery (junior) or 6'3 Brown (junior) coming off the bench. Boone will be solid next year but IMO will be no where near what they were last year. Outside of those four that I listed above, Boone lacks experience big time.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Boone returns:

6'0 Gabbard
6'0 Popp
6'3 Cotton
6'6 Earls

Those four will likely be starters with either 6'3 Montgomery (junior) or 6'3 Brown (junior) coming off the bench. Boone will be solid next year but IMO will be no where near what they were last year. Outside of those four that I listed above, Boone lacks experience big time.

I wonder what Cotton's status will be after his baseball injury?
Holmes/UKfan Wrote:Let me start by saying I have classes with these kids, I am part of the class of 2012 at Holmes and know these kids well

Collins is hit a growth spurt last year and is in the upper 5'foot area(5'8-5'11) And plays PG. He is probably the best player out of any plaer there with the exception of the big three and Avery, but he will probably pass Avery.

Dontel is the real deal as well and I have played many games with, and against him.

Tre' Lewis though, isn't as good as those above. I have played with him numerous times and he just isn't on that level yet. I have outshined him ALOT of times. He has the pedigree for it though(Kevon is his brother, Dontel is his brother, and Tony Collins is his cousin)

Like tezzy mentioned Xylon is a kid that if his grade and atitude get better could do something. He has been hitting 360 dunks since 7th grade.

He also isn't as good as Kevon yet either
Wow, I have the most insight on the class of 2012 at Holmes and none of ya'll even recognize it
kywldcat01 Wrote:I haven't seen Collins play... How tall is he and what position does he play?

Collins is a PG and he has the best handles I seen at Holmes since Anthony Hughes. Better than Duran and Riley. He is not a pure outside shooter, but off the bounce no one will stay in front of him, also his on the ball defense is like a one man press. He is another kid who has to get his grades and attitude togather this year. I see him playing behind Avery and Mayfield this year. But in the 2010-2011 season he will be the starting PG for Holmes. The kid has a lot of funk to his game and blazing speed......As for Xylon it makes me sick to my stomach that his talents are going to waste. I have spent time trying to talk to him and get him focused. I hope it works out for him. The kid has to much talent not to play.
Holmes/UKfan Wrote:Wow, I have the most insight on the class of 2012 at Holmes and none of ya'll even recognize it

Is Rez and the light-skinned kid with the long hair still going to Holmes. Rez is a kid thats a sleeper.
Holmes/UKfan Wrote:He also isn't as good as Kevon yet either

That could be said for a lot of player in the 9th. Kevon should be a top 10 player in the region this year.
tezzy859 Wrote:Is Rez and the light-skinned kid with the long hair still going to Holmes. Rez is a kid thats a sleeper.

If by Rez you mean Darez Waller then yes. And he is another player I left out. 2012 he will probably either start SG or be the 1st off the bench. I don't know about light skinned with long hair though. The long hair is throwing me off but I will tell you if I remember
tezzy859 Wrote:That could be said for a lot of player in the 9th. Kevon should be a top 10 player in the region this year.

I know but I know some posters on here would try and say I think he is better.
Holmes/UKfan Wrote:If by Rez you mean Darez Waller then yes. And he is another player I left out. 2012 he will probably either start SG or be the 1st off the bench. I don't know about light skinned with long hair though. The long hair is throwing me off but I will tell you if I remember

The light skinned kid name is Jakeith maybe?
tezzy859 Wrote:The light skinned kid name is Jakeith maybe?

Jakeith is his name...he is alright but won't be a contributor for Holmes this year and probably not next year either. He just doesn't have the size or strength to play at that level yet.

When I spoke to Kevon, he said the following players would be the main contributors for Holmes this coming season:

Starters:

R. Johnson, J. Johnson, Rice, Pittman, Avery/Mayfield

Bench:
Avery/Mayfield, Slusher, Gray, Hayes, Mcclendon

After those 5, you could see D. Rice and Collins get some time, but not until probably mid season. Dontel has the best shot at playing this year as a sophomore. He's the only one that will be physically big and strong enough.
tezzy859 Wrote:That could be said for a lot of player in the 9th. Kevon should be a top 10 player in the region this year.

Kevon is definetly a top 10 player in NKY. His size and athleticism make him tough to defend both inside and outside. Only thing he needs to work on is his strength, which he has been doing all summer with Greg.