Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powell Co. Pirates
How's it looking for the Pirates? Do you think last year's first ever winning season will be their last? I hear alot of Powell countians aren't too thrilled with some of the changes. I hear the kids aint real happy with some of the new coaches. Just what's being said around Stanton.
The team actually looks pretty good in the 7on7 games both offensivly and defensivly. Could use work in the passing game youg inexperienced QB. But the RBs are going to be led by brewer hardy watkins and taulbee. The WR are also young but talented with most of them able to catch most everything. But coach burchett is a great coach noone wants to give him a chance, he is a great guy also. Whitaker will be missed but the pirates will do fine without him as long as everyone puts effort into it.
MR.PERFECT Wrote:How's it looking for the Pirates? Do you think last year's first ever winning season will be their last? I hear alot of Powell countians aren't too thrilled with some of the changes. I hear the kids aint real happy with some of the new coaches. Just what's being said around Stanton.
Don't act like you care about Powell.You took your son and "abandoned ship".TongueirateSho
My cousin is one of the new coaches and I know that Powell Co. is very lucky to have him.

He knows the game and played under Coach Philip Haywood at Belfry for 4 years.

What more would parents and fans want in a Coach than one coming from a tradition rich program like Belfry?

I say go Pirates!

Belfry and Powell....TongueirateSho
BobcatStuckInPowell Wrote:Don't act like you care about Powell.You took your son and "abandoned ship".TongueirateSho
You really don't have a clue and I am of no relation, just follwed the team to see what they would do under the man that coached Tim Couch.
HarleyD Wrote:My cousin is one of the new coaches and I know that Powell Co. is very lucky to have him.

He knows the game and played under Coach Philip Haywood at Belfry for 4 years.

What more would parents and fans want in a Coach than one coming from a tradition rich program like Belfry?

I say go Pirates!

Belfry and Powell....TongueirateSho
what is his coaching experience? who will be the pirates new staff? I heard Perkins will be running the defense. That will be good he has some experience.
Powell will be good but not as good as everyone is predicting
They have some talent. Alot of those guys returning have started for a couple years now.
MR.PERFECT Wrote:what is his coaching experience? who will be the pirates new staff? I heard Perkins will be running the defense. That will be good he has some experience.

You heard wrong.
MR.PERFECT Wrote:How's it looking for the Pirates? Do you think [B]last year's first ever winning season will be their last?[/B] I hear alot of Powell countians aren't too thrilled with some of the changes. I hear the kids aint real happy with some of the new coaches. Just what's being said around Stanton.

O MY GOSH! What will Powell do they dont have the Rose kid or even his Father to make this team work. :lmao: The Pirates will be fine. It may take a couple years like always when a new coach comes in.
MR.PERFECT Wrote:You really don't have a clue and I am of no relation, just follwed the team to see what they would do under the man that coached Tim Couch.

Yea right! Just about like everyone who loves KY basketball is gonna follow Gillispe.:yawn:
What are you referring to PC DEFENSE! what did we hear wrong about?
The kids at powell county are happy with the coaches that they have returning and the new coaches. We will have a great season this year even with the young te we have. TongueirateSho
Powell will finsh third agian this year in the district behind Estill and Breathitt. Powell will ofcourse have a winning season with the teams that they play. I hope they do great this year, but lets be realistic, Powell isnt a football powerhouse, never was, never will be.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"]
That Pretty Much Sums It Up.....
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Powell will finish 4th being in a 4 team district. Breathitt, Estill, Magoffin, Powell in that order. It appears the pirates will be starting all over once again, new coach, new system, new coaching staff once again. Same story, different day. Powell is fortunate to be in a 4 team district.
F.N.L. Wrote:Powell will finish 4th being in a 4 team district. Breathitt, Estill, Magoffin, Powell in that order. It appears the pirates will be starting all over once again, new coach, new system, new coaching staff once again. Same story, different day. Powell is fortunate to be in a 4 team district.

I disagree with that. Because the offense we have this year is better than last years by far. We will beat estill and magoffin by far. TongueirateSho
Defender12 Wrote:I disagree with that. Because the offense we have this year is better than last years by far. We will beat estill and magoffin by far. TongueirateSho

yea ok. you mean like last year when you all sent us a Dozen Roses with a sympathy card saying you all were gonna kick our A**, and who was it that got beat by 30? (58-28) thats right it was Powell County and who was it that got there A**** kicked in that fight at 82 food mart? thats right it was Powell County you all even had us out numbered 20-5 and we still kicked your all's a****. you all might had a chance to beat us if Jesse Rose hadnt transfered.

:lmao: :please:
20-5, I didn't know Steven Seagal lived in Irvine(lol)(kiddin)
P.C.Defense Wrote:20-5, I didn't know Steven Seagal lived in Irvine(lol)(kiddin)

PC Defense are you going to tell us what you are talking about or what? You said we heard wrong. What about?
Perkins will not be returning.
F.N.L. Wrote:Powell will finish 4th being in a 4 team district. Breathitt, Estill, Magoffin, Powell in that order. It appears the pirates will be starting all over once again, new coach, new system, new coaching staff once again. Same story, different day. Powell is fortunate to be in a 4 team district.

Not real familiar with Estill or Powell, Everyone knows about Breathitt, But alot of people are saying Magoffin Co. will be very good this year. The gave Johnson Central fits in passing league this year, put it all over Matwan W.V., and Willamson W.V., strugeled against a very talented Betsy Layne group(but MC had 7 kids out) and outplayed Paintsville(with 7 out). Former U.K. player Grayson Smith has installed the true spread with multiple weapons to go to. Curious to see how they do against my Tigers this year!!!
Oh! I did not know that. Good information to know. Are you at Morgan Co. or are you back at Powell?
RealisticView Wrote:Not real familiar with Estill or Powell, Everyone knows about Breathitt, But alot of people are saying Magoffin Co. will be very good this year. The gave Johnson Central fits in passing league this year, put it all over Matwan W.V., and Willamson W.V., strugeled against a very talented Betsy Layne group(but MC had 7 kids out) and outplayed Paintsville(with 7 out). Former U.K. player Grayson Smith has installed the true spread with multiple weapons to go to. Curious to see how they do against my Tigers this year!!!

I didn't know Smith had installed the "true" spread. In that case, Powell will beat Magoffin.
Defender12 Wrote:I disagree with that. Because the offense we have this year is better than last years by far. We will beat estill and magoffin by far. TongueirateSho

You are crazy.
Strikeout King Wrote:yea ok. you mean like last year when you all sent us a Dozen Roses with a sympathy card saying you all were gonna kick our A**, and who was it that got beat by 30? (58-28) thats right it was Powell County and who was it that got there A**** kicked in that fight at 82 food mart? thats right it was Powell County you all even had us out numbered 20-5 and we still kicked your all's a****. you all might had a chance to beat us if Jesse Rose hadnt transfered.

:lmao: :please:

They couldn't beat you even if Whitaker and Rose had stayed.
Sorry, but i think 7 on 7 makes some teams feel better than they are. 7 on 7 are good for secondary and LB's to practice there steps and drops and offense to get down routes. BUT when you factor in the whole team with the pressure of line and add the run game its a differnt story.
I agree with the above statement.
Last season was "The Season" for Powell.
It was a good season for a football program that had never had anything that even resembled a good season. With the schedule Powell has in all honesty they should win a few games due to the strength of schedule.
I played for coach Burchett a few years back and he is a great coach and a good man. He has worked as an assistant coach in some of the best programs in Eastern Kentucky (P-burg under Haywood, Lawrence during their heyday under Williams, and most recently Johnson Central under Matney).
He had one head coaching job in the past that was a mess because of politics. He left after one year.
He swore he would never head coach again. I have heard he has had countless offers over the years and turned down schools with a much better program than Powell.
If players are complaining, it's because they are having to work harder than ever before, but I know they are being treated with respect.
My opinion, Powells best days may have just begun
hawg laig Wrote:I played for coach Burchett a few years back and he is a great coach and a good man. He has worked as an assistant coach in some of the best programs in Eastern Kentucky (P-burg under Haywood, Lawrence during their heyday under Williams, and most recently Johnson Central under Matney).
He had one head coaching job in the past that was a mess because of politics. He left after one year.
He swore he would never head coach again. I have heard he has had countless offers over the years and turned down schools with a much better program than Powell.
If players are complaining, it's because they are having to work harder than ever before, but I know they are being treated with respect.
My opinion, Powells best days may have just begun

I was at practice tonight and believe me their best days are behind them.They won't win a game.