Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2009 Bellevue
thoughts about the upcoming season for the Tigers? who did they lose from last year and who do they returning? Tigers went 7-4 and 1st RD State Playoff loss to Gallatin County 33-28.

Aug 21, 09Holy Cross (Covington)away7:00 PM
Aug 29, 09Newportaway7:00 PM
Sep 4, 09Holmeshome7:00 PM
Sep 11, 09Scotthome7:00 PM
Sep 18, 09Openhome
Sep 25, 09Walton-Veronahome7:00 PM
Oct 2, 09Bishop Brossarthome7:00 PM
Oct 9, 09Daytonaway7:00 PM
Oct 16, 09Ludlowaway7:00 PM
Oct 23, 09Beechwoodhome7:00 PM
Oct 30, 09Lloyd Memorialhome7:00 PM
Veteran Tigers look for playoff run
By James Weber • [email]jweber@nky.com[/email] • August 18, 2009

• • Print • ShareThis • Type Size: A A

If Austin Lay has anything to do with it, the Bellevue High School football team will be strong this year and carry the name of the city well.

"I have a lot of friends in school," said Lay, a senior receiver. "You've got to be friends in the team. I've been around teams that ended up fighting. That's what keeps teams down. Our team isn't like that; we help each other. We're representing for our town. When we go out somewhere, we have to represent as gentlemen."

Dave Eckstein returns for his fifth year as head coach. The Tigers were 7-4 last year but were upset by Gallatin County in the first round of the 1A playoffs.

"This is a veteran team," he said. "We feel we have an opportunity to have a very good team. It depends on how quickly we progress and how far we progress."

Bellevue returns six starters on both sides of the ball. Eckstein likes the depth and speed of the team, though his main concern is depth on the lines.

Senior running back Ricky Buckler returns after rushing for 1,483 yards and 24 touchdowns last year.

"We have a lot of experience on this team," he said. "As a team, I've been playing here since I was little. We're a family. I know I can trust the guy on my right and my left."

Eckstein said Buckler is "a dream to coach."

"He is a very positive young man. He works harder than anyone else on the team. He leads by example. He is a great athlete and a very talented running back," he said.

Travis Lyvers, a senior fullback/linebacker, is the emotional leader of the team. He is a three-year starter.

"It's playing for the whole city," Lyvers said. "Everyone is down here. After an away game, everybody is up there on Tiger Lane. Win or lose, everyone is up there."

Richard Wills returns at quarterback and Rick Allen anchors the offensive line.

The Tigers hope for a deep postseason this year.

"I think we'll do better than we have in past years," Lay said. "I think we have a chance to go far, make it to the playoffs and have a good winning record. We just have to play hard