Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Danville's Jeff Embree signs with Cleveland State
Jeff Embree is taking something of a gamble, but it's one that his coach believes will pay off for him in two years.

Embree has signed with Cleveland State (Tenn.) Community College in hopes of parlaying two years of junior college baseball into a better offer than those he was getting during his senior year at Danville.

Danville coach Paul Morse said Embry got offers from low- to mid-major Division I schools and from NAIA schools in Kentucky, but he spurned those offers for a different path.

"He felt like going to a big-time junior college would be a better chance for him," Morse said. "He's rolling the dice a little bit. If he has a good two years, he can get an offer from a bigger D-I school, and if he has an OK or average two years, a lot of the schools that are recruiting him now will still be there."

Cleveland State went 38-18 this season, and eight players on its spring roster have committed to four-year schools.

"They send eight or 10 kids to D-Is every year, and they're usually a top-15 JUCO," Morse said.

Morse said the school is covering all but about $2,000 of Embree's annual cost.

"You can't beat that," Morse said. "He couldn't stay here and go to (an NAIA school) for $2,000 a year."

Embree hit .398 with six home runs and a team-best 48 RBIs this spring for Danville. He was second on the team in batting average and first in slugging percentage (.620).

He has been catching full-time for about four years, and Morse said he should continue to improve behind the plate.

"He's a solid receiver and blocker and he's got good a strong arm, and
those things are only going to increase because his work ethic is awesome," Morse said. "Just getting bigger and stronger will help him more than anything."

http://www.amnews.com/public_html/?modul...ormat=html
Congrats Jeff
If Andrew Lasure is Danville's next option at catcher, they will have another good one. I've watched him all summer and he is absolutely raking. He is killing the ball, batting for good average, and for power. Congrats to Jeff, and to Coach Morse for running such a good program at Danville.
Big Congrats to Jeff! Best of luck @ C. STATE!
Congrats to and good luck to Jeff!
Congrats Jeff and Best of Luck!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL