•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley will Start Interviews 6/9
Mark Palmer is from VA....from what I have researched and heard he would be GREAT....he was actually in line for the job when Saunders was hired....
I wonder if he interviewed???
throw deep Wrote:Would that happen to be a coach with the initials J.N.???

It wasn't true anyways..........I didn't figure it was.
I am still hearing it will be Eric Ratliff only as a deal to get Whitaker and his son to SV Basketball. Another one of those if you will take this one we will give you that one for free....and along with that one is the skills of his son.

This will cause a riot with SV parents, fans and players if this happens....because once again the football program will be paying the price and taking the second seat to bball and there are folks getting SICK AND TIRED of that...
It would be NICE if the football program for once was given credit and appreciation for all their hard work, dedication and accomplishments.

I really don't think it will be acceptable unless Mark Palmer or maybe even Anthony Hampton is hired unless they bring in a total stranger from somewhere and that person has an impressive record. Don't get me wrong we have heard that ER has a lot of knowledge but his ability to lead as head coach has something to desire. We are hearing more negative than positive.

It is way too close for the season to start to bring in someone that will not be accepted by parents, players or fans. The school and BOE will have a lot to deal with if that happens.
If Coach Ratliff were to get the job, I would hold off on judgement. Look at what he had to work with at ER, and he still won a few games. He is a good coach, and has worked under some of the best coaches in the area. The key to whoever is hired is finding quality assistants to help. Branham is a very good person also who has just been placed in bad situations. I don't know much about any of the other candidates.
The majority does not want Branham or Ratliff for one reason or another...That is for certain. Another thing that will def hurt is if Ratliff is the deal maker for the bball team to get what they want instead of being the right fit for the team.
Well, sometimes it is hard to tell the majority from the minority because the minority is usually more vocal. Not saying this is the case, but... who do you believe the majority wants? And if you say Hampton, you have just rendered your opinions invalid. lol. I am only joking.
Borderlord Wrote:If Coach Ratliff were to get the job, I would hold off on judgement. Look at what he had to work with at ER, and he still won a few games. He is a good coach, and has worked under some of the best coaches in the area. The key to whoever is hired is finding quality assistants to help. Branham is a very good person also who has just been placed in bad situations. I don't know much about any of the other candidates.

I agree 100%. Both Branham and Ratliff are capiable of coaching.
Wildcat FB Parent Wrote:I am still hearing it will be Eric Ratliff only as a deal to get Whitaker and his son to SV Basketball. Another one of those if you will take this one we will give you that one for free....and along with that one is the skills of his son.

This will cause a riot with SV parents, fans and players if this happens....because once again the football program will be paying the price and taking the second seat to bball and there are folks getting SICK AND TIRED of that...

I just dont understand. Are Ratliff and Whitaker related? Who, What, Where, When, and how was this packaged deal even dreamed up? I agree. I think that we need someone from out of the area. Valley needs to take care of their football program. There is nothing wrong with having a good football AND basketball program.
I agree that fb and bb can both be good at a sschool. I too hope it does not become political with the new hire. Anytime you mention sports here in ky it seems we always hear it's bb in our area. Esp. since valley has a reat bb team.

That being said they have a great fb team as well. The kids from middle school on have been working hard the past 3 years to get this program going. With Saunders and Mike Roberts working hard to make that happen. The fb boosters and parents were and are exceptionally great to support and promote fb here. But my guess most places it's political and that may never change.
pikewildkat Wrote:I agree that fb and bb can both be good at a sschool. I too hope it does not become political with the new hire. Anytime you mention sports here in ky it seems we always hear it's bb in our area. Esp. since valley has a reat bb team.

That being said they have a great fb team as well. The kids from middle school on have been working hard the past 3 years to get this program going. With Saunders and Mike Roberts working hard to make that happen. The fb boosters and parents were and are exceptionally great to support and promote fb here. But my guess most places it's political and that may never change.

A great football team? I wouldn't go that far, they may have a promising football team who could pick it up in the years to come, but not great.
pikewildkat Wrote:I agree that fb and bb can both be good at a sschool. I too hope it does not become political with the new hire. Anytime you mention sports here in ky it seems we always hear it's bb in our area. Esp. since valley has a reat bb team.

No doubt, the hire will be political. I still cant get over this package deal.
SV fb never had stabilty with a head coach. Virgie middle has been county champs before. But lose kids to pv high school. Saunders worked very hard to keep them there. Is great measured by state championships? If so our whole county is lacking.... and I would never consider Belfy anything but great. Although they have won state championships it been a few years. There coach is a legend.
What was their record last year?
pikewildkat Wrote:SV fb never had stabilty with a head coach. Virgie middle has been county champs before. But lose kids to pv high school. Saunders worked very hard to keep them there. Is great measured by state championships? If so our whole county is lacking.... and I would never consider Belfy anything but great. Although they have won state championships it been a few years. There coach is a legend.

I don't know about "kids", maybe a kid, and the only mentionable would be Daniel Harmon. I don't recall anyone leaving Virgie and coming to Pikeville and contributing on the football field since Harmon. But Quirvoin Merchant did leave and go to Pike Central.
Politics plays a big role in the hiring. Site base will do whatever the board wants them to do. This process should not have taken this long.
I am not sure who the "majority" would choose. I think the "majority" just wants someone who is a good fit for the kids. I can only speak about what I think the "majority" does not want and they continue to voice and that is Eric Ratliff and/or Bobby Branham. Both of these people are prob or may be capable coaches and Bobby at least we know is a good person. However, that does not mean they are the best fit for this team. No one should be set up in a position to fail and that is what each of those guys will be looking at should they use politics or whatever to get the position. Any coach will prob tell you that if you do not have the respect and support of players, community and parents you will not be able to succeed.

We do believe we have a great team!!! A great team is not defined as a team with state championships under their belt. Great teams lose championships or other games throughout the season- everyone can't win all the time. A great team is a team that continues to grow and learn, a team that works cohesively with coaches and their teammates to be the best they can be and work on improving on things they fall short on, a team that the community supports, parents are proud to work for in booster clubs and players play with all of their heart to give 110% at every practice, every game and every challenge.

There is no doubt that SV is a GREAT team and has continued to grow the last few years. They will meet challenges following this year losing the fantastic seniors on board and that is another reason the choice for coach is so important. The person needs to have the strength to continue building the program that Saunders developed and nurtured and the program that Roberts currently has his head wrapped around and has visions of it becoming in the future.

If the new coach will come in supporting and continuing to build the program from a big picture view from little league to middle school to high school then this program will continue to succeed and will continue to do well.

Anyone who has watched Roberts with these young me can see they respect him and can see these young men are on board with his plans and that he is building upon the skills they have while continuing to teach them techniques to strengthen their program. We need a head coach that will respect the vision that Roberts has for the program and will respect the dedication he has portrayed the end of last year and during this interim period.

Hopefully they will value the excellence of the assistant coach who will remain in place.
Wildcat fb parent very well written. My thoughts and points exactly. Good Luck valley with your new fb coach. May you continue your greatness.....
Thank you!! This team and all of the boys not just my own mean the world to me.
Has anyone heard any news about sv yet?
I thought it was supposed to be announced today.
I have heard from a reliable source that the job has been offered to the head coach from Thomas Walker High School in Virginia. I don't have any word as to whether he accepeted the position or not, his name is Brian Lee.
Coach B- FYI I am glad to hear you do not plan on using politics this time. If what BIGMAN 77 is true we may not have any worries about any of the locals mistakingly being given the job. But thanks for your private message informing me that you do not intend to use politics. That is good to hear. As you may or may not have seen in my prev posts although the majority did not want you as Coach there at least has been no negative accusations against you as most think you are a good person.
Does anyone know anything about this Brian Lee fellow or any stats on his team?
Wildcat FB Parent Wrote:Does anyone know anything about this Brian Lee fellow or any stats on his team?

He's coached at least two schools, both in Va. Spent 3 years at Lee High (from 2000-2003), teams went 2-8 each season. Has been at Thomas Walker since (from 2004 to this past year). Went 4-6 (started 4-1), 0-10, 2-8, 4-6, and then this past year they were 6-5, made it to the first round of the regional playoffs and were beaten by the eventual Div. 1 State runner-ups Clintwood (60-0).
Will he be a good fit for sv?
He will have to move here. I think that is a long drive otherwise isn't it??? Won't be able to what Saunders did. Maybe Saunders knows som.ething him
pikewildkat Wrote:SV fb never had stabilty with a head coach. Virgie middle has been county champs before. But lose kids to pv high school. Saunders worked very hard to keep them there. Is great measured by state championships? If so our whole county is lacking.... and I would never consider Belfy anything but great. Although they have won state championships it been a few years. There coach is a legend.

thats right and in the next year or so they could win another 1 or 2,but we will see.
So based on info on this thread there were six interviews? Four Wed and 2 Thurs. The four Wed were loca except the Bath Co and Thurs one from Pike and one from VA. Does this mean Palmer declined the interview. Sounded like he would have been a good fit and Saunders recommended him. Maybe Saunders recommended Lee also. If Lee is the new coach at least politics were not involved.
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next