Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Larry Maggard to Jenkins?
The talk is heavy of Larry Maggard coming to Jenkins to coach football and baseball. Anyone else heard this?

I heard the rumor a couple of weeks ago and it died down pretty quick but I heard the other day that they were close to signing a contract.

I personally don't know much about Larry or his knowledge of the game(s) so any insight is appreciated.
Larry is an outstanding person. His strengths lie within the areas of the offensive line. He has previous head coaching experience. He is a person that would not leave and build a program.
I think that he has been offered the job at Jenkins
It will be hard to leave LCC, but I think if he wants to be a head coach he needs to take this job.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
From Iwhat I have heard, Larry has been offered the football job and he is seriously considering it. Havent' heard about the baseball position. This would be a great hire if he comes to Jenkins. Larry is a quality individual and is great with the kids and is a good role model. He is very passionate about his job. It would take a few years but I really beleive that he would turn around the Jenkis footbsall program.
I'm calling a State Championship
If...Then Wrote:I'm calling a State Championship

Now THAT'S optimism!:Clap:
We'll know soon enough.
Hope he does.
If anyone can turn that program around it is Larry. He is a true class act, and cares for his kids that he coaches.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

There will never be a state championship at Jenkins high school......i dont care who the coach is.........they just dont have the talent or the athletes in that school...they will be lucky if they are still a school with LCC showing football dominance in that county.
UKfrenzy Wrote:There will never be a state championship at Jenkins high school......i dont care who the coach is.........they just dont have the talent or the athletes in that school...they will be lucky if they are still a school with LCC showing football dominance in that county.

We will remain a school. Don't worry about that. Now your right I highly doubt they will ever win state. But our athletics are turning around.
Good Luck to the JHS. How many football players will come out this year?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote:Good Luck to the JHS. How many football players will come out this year?

I'd guess a max of 20.
Maggard Is Not Going To Jenkins Move On With It.
GRIFFIN Wrote:Maggard Is Not Going To Jenkins Move On With It.

Like I said he is seriously considering it. Don't be surprised if he does go to Jenkins.
I think in all fairness we need to post what he could do for that program. If he is considering it. What kind of coach does Jenkins need? What is the ideal coach for that program? Those kinds of answers we need to discuss.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

UKfrenzy Wrote:There will never be a state championship at Jenkins high school......i dont care who the coach is.........they just dont have the talent or the athletes in that school...they will be lucky if they are still a school with LCC showing football dominance in that county.

So Jenkins is gonna close its doors because LCC has had a couple of good footbal seasons. WOW! :lmao:

I can assure you Jenkins will be around for a long time!
I think a good coach can go in and do some things that is very important in these young mens lives. Discipline and preparing them for the future says alot for a coach. then they are successful
Trust me if Jenkins ever shuts down or goes county it won't be because of football.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

If Larry Maggard was to coach at Jenkins. It would be one of the biggest hires Jenkins has ever had. He is a great football mind. He could do wonders here. They have some talent. And it needs to be utilized. He use to be at Jenkins years ago. I would be very pleased if he does come down to Cavalier Country.
cougarpride08 Wrote:Trust me if Jenkins ever shuts down or goes county it won't be because of football.

AMEN!
sherman14 Wrote:If Larry Maggard was to coach at Jenkins. It would be one of the biggest hires Jenkins has ever had. He is a great football mind. He could do wonders here. They have some talent. And it needs to be utilized. He use to be at Jenkins years ago. I would be very pleased if he does come down to Cavalier Country.

A simple point to be made but a great one. There has been some great football players come through Jenkins in the last few years. Chris Puckett, Johnathan Taylor, Nate Thompson, Justin Hunsucker, Brody Dixon, just a name a few.
Here is what needs to happen for the next coach, (Maggard).
1. meet with players and parents of the school
2. get every available boy in the district to participate
3. The administration must be patient as this re-build will not happen overnite
4. Begin a good feeder program, I mean a great one
5. Put in a offense that is easy, belly series, Johnson Central and Belfry does it and they do pretty good.
6. weight room, weight room, weight room
7. Develop a new coaching staff
8. Bring back what we had in the early and mid 80's!
9. Be loyal to the kids, stick around and not leave us
10. Involve the community!
firechief Wrote:Here is what needs to happen for the next coach, (Maggard).
5. Put in a offense that is easy, belly series, Johnson Central and Belfry does it and they do pretty good.

Your exactly right.
firechief Wrote:Here is what needs to happen for the next coach, (Maggard).

This list is dead on. All the items are important but I think #'s 2,3,6, & 10 need to be emphasized. I keep hearing from reliable sources that he's coming to Jenkins.
How can they stay a school with most of their good athletes transfering to LCC?
UKfrenzy Wrote:How can they stay a school with most of their good athletes transfering to LCC?

any school that has problems will go through this. Over here at Knott as you may remember the struggle between JBS and KCC, look how strong KCC baseball was this year, it only happened due to the kcc kids coming back from jbs. Now, if hou can get the Jenkins kids who left you for lCC, you will be doing great. It takes good leadership, Couch has it here at KCC and if Trent joins the staff, we will be much stronger next season.

The new coach at Jenkins must stay on task with the ten items I mentioned, no particular order, just what we did over here.
bass man, very reliable sources? If he comes to Jenkins, will he be coaching baseball? Have they hired a baseball coach yet? Would Trent be willing to come to Jenkins if his co-worker Maggard does? Man, what a coaching staff developing in one of the smallest schools in the state.
firechief Wrote:bass man, very reliable sources? If he comes to Jenkins, will he be coaching baseball? Have they hired a baseball coach yet? Would Trent be willing to come to Jenkins if his co-worker Maggard does? Man, what a coaching staff developing in one of the smallest schools in the state.

I know it is an overused reference, especially on the internet, but yes reliable sources. Haven't heard anything about the baseball position or Trent. Mark Johnson is currently the basketball coach at JHS. I thought Trent had ties to Knott County?