Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How will coaching changes hurt?
I have heard that in Jefferson County atleast that there will be no volunteer coaches allowed from now on. Every coach has to meet all the requirements (namely the college credit hours) to be able to coach on the high school level. In the past I know that a coach that volunteered his/her time was able to help out. Also schools that did not have the funds to pay coaches were allowed to have coaches that simply volunteered their time. If I am not mistaken the board pays for the HC 2 varsity 2 JV and 2 Freshman coaches. The school sometimes picks up the cost of the others while some volunteer. If it is in fact true isn't that going to cause some restructuring of staffs and possible loss of some coaches. Is this going to be a KHSAA rule or just going to be enforced in Jefferson County.
This is already a KHSAA Rule, not anything new. Maybe Jefferson County is not abiding by it, but it's a rule already
Not a KHSAA rule that I know of. Each district has the right to pay supplements of as many assistants as they chose. It's not as big a blow if they allow them to pool the money for those spots and distribute it to more as many people as they like.
Jackson05 Wrote:Not a KHSAA rule that I know of. Each district has the right to pay supplements of as many assistants as they chose. It's not as big a blow if they allow them to pool the money for those spots and distribute it to more as many people as they like.

No, that is the law, talk to your state reps...... and KHSAA agreement to make this a policy.
Yes people who are not certified can be assistants, they must be under direct supervision of a level 1 or level 2 coach who does meet the required qualifications. The following is from case from the KSHAA hand book from their website. I also added the link to the page.
Case BL-27-5 – What restrictions are in place for those
individuals who do not meet the provisions of a Level 1
coach or a Level 2 coach?
Persons assigned to duties as assistants within the program shall
be limited to the following responsibilities upon approval of such
assignment by the proper school authorities and in compliance
with all adopted regulations. This shall not preclude any person
qualifying as a Level 1 or Level 2 coach from performing these task.
http://www.khsaa.org/handbook/bylaws/bylaw27.pdf
olballcoach Wrote:Yes people who are not certified can be assistants, they must be under direct supervision of a level 1 or level 2 coach who does meet the required qualifications. The following is from case from the KSHAA hand book from their website. I also added the link to the page.
Case BL-27-5 – What restrictions are in place for those
individuals who do not meet the provisions of a Level 1
coach or a Level 2 coach?
Persons assigned to duties as assistants within the program shall
be limited to the following responsibilities upon approval of such
assignment by the proper school authorities and in compliance
with all adopted regulations. This shall not preclude any person
qualifying as a Level 1 or Level 2 coach from performing these task.
http://www.khsaa.org/handbook/bylaws/bylaw27.pdf

Some school districts try to limit the number of para-professionals (especially parent-coaches), to keep the "good ole boy" stuff from getting outta hand. Sometimes you can have coaches that remain very professional and they help a lot. Other times, you end up with one or two that undermine the program... either intentionally or accidentally. It is a fine line to walk.
Last year we had 11 coaches.....
There is still probably going to be more coaching changes in the mountains before it is over with.