Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coaches Only
This Tread is reserved for High School Football Coaches.
Wtf?

Awww shucks, it was much more rude before the post was edited.
I would like to start by saying that I am a relatively young coach. I have eight years of experience. Coached O, D, and Special Teams of many sorts. However, I know that there is always much more to learn about the Xs & Os... but even moreso about how to deal with people (players, parents, etc).

I like the Wishbone and a Spread for offense.

I like the 3-5-3 for defense.

I like special teams to be as simple and aggressive as possible.
Coach, what is your point in making this thread?
Kids stay away from drugs.
Possibly just to exchange different approaches to making plays.
celtics_FANactic Wrote:Possibly just to exchange different approaches to making plays.

Do coaches really do that? Isn't the key to coaching alittle out foxing the other guy?
tradition Wrote:Do coaches really do that? Isn't the key to coaching alittle out foxing the other guy?

Yes coaches do "that". Pro, college, HS and below do exactly that. Coach Huey is a web site designed to exchange and share ideas. Coaches often talk to other staffs and share.

The key to coaching is being a better teacher and having a strong understanding. Outsmarting the guy has less to do with it.
barrel Wrote:Yes coaches do "that". Pro, college, HS and below do exactly that. Coach Huey is a web site designed to exchange and share ideas. Coaches often talk to other staffs and share.

The key to coaching is being a better teacher and having a strong understanding. Outsmarting the guy has less to do with it.

OK, that's awesome. Not a coach, and wouldn't know. I'm sure they share but I'll bet they keep a few tricks to themselves. :biggrin:
This will be my 10th year coaching. I've coached O and D line, linebackers, secondary and D-cord. I was asked a few years ago to coach the db's but it wasn't a demotion, It was an opportunity to learn another aspect of the game besides D-line and Linebackers. As a coach you have to always BE WILLING TO LEARN from coaches who's been there and done that. I've got drills I use daily that came from several different coaches I know. As a coach, Your way might not be the best way all the time. Keep an open mind for suggestions from those who have been in the game a little longer than you have. I found alot of times when I drew it up, Their way was the better way.
If your an assistant coach, Refer parents to the head coach, That's the only way you deal with that. Be polite but "Your gonna' need to talk to the head coach about that" is saying enough without saying too much.
barrel Wrote:Yes coaches do "that". Pro, college, HS and below do exactly that. Coach Huey is a web site designed to exchange and share ideas. Coaches often talk to other staffs and share.

That's exactly right!
Teach that correct first step, Teach that D-lineman Bench-press(get seperation), Push-pull( push to where that hat's goin'-pull away), Squeeze( If that O-lineman tries to release inside, close him down, No free release on my backer) Wrong arm( he releases inside, squeeze him down, wrong arm the trap). Teach it and then be able to explain WHY your doing it.
bigcoachallen Wrote:I would like to start by saying that I am a relatively young coach. I have eight years of experience. Coached O, D, and Special Teams of many sorts. However, I know that there is always much more to learn about the Xs & Os... but even moreso about how to deal with people (players, parents, etc).

I like the Wishbone and a Spread for offense.

I like the 3-5-3 for defense.

I like special teams to be as simple and aggressive as possible.

And slow walks on the beach.

Just joking, couldn't resist.:Thumbs:
eagle dad 2014 Wrote:And slow walks on the beach.

Just joking, couldn't resist.:Thumbs:

As long as I've got plenty sunblock... ha ha ha