Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Ten Coaches from the Mountains
Big Five-0- Wrote:And i'll answer your question. I forgot ab

Forgot about Cotton Adams who was one of the great football coaches from the mountains. Didn't know much about Powers til i saw your post. I do however think coach Jewell is doing a fine job at Corbin. I do think good things are in store for him & his team if he continues to improve.
How about Dixon at Hazard. In the past 5 years he has really got that program going in the right direction. I know we are going old school, but give this coach 5 more years, and if he makes it to the championship game again, then he has to be mentioned.
cougarpride08 Wrote:How about Dixon at Hazard. In the past 5 years he has really got that program going in the right direction. I know we are going old school, but give this coach 5 more years, and if he makes it to the championship game again, then he has to be mentioned.

He isn't there yet we will see what kind of coach he is this season.
cougarpride08 Wrote:How about Dixon at Hazard. In the past 5 years he has really got that program going in the right direction. I know we are going old school, but give this coach 5 more years, and if he makes it to the championship game again, then he has to be mentioned.

He is a good coaches. But he can't win the big games the first time they get there... This year, state runner-up, last year state semi. year b4 that reg.... This year, they could have beat beechwood. But they thank, they are going to out run a fast D.... You have to run over them not around them.... As you can see Hazars got beat...
Easy....Howard and Haywood:1:
I myself think that Knox central has one of the best
football coaches in Wayne Mills look what he has done
with this team in 4 yrs that he has been here.
jetpilot Wrote:Now your political logic makes sense! Being in a district with a mountain team doesn't make mountains magically appear outside your house.
They play half their games in BFE! Come on JP! :lmao:
DevilsWin Wrote:They play half their games in BFE! Come on JP! :lmao:

Yeah, and the other half of their games are away.:biggrin:
:HitWall:

Goodpoint. Seems to be the best coach for Hazard in recent yrs. Has had some good athletes over there as well.
He is loosing a lot this year also.
Did anyone mention Bill Allara? or Butch Joplin? Those were two very knowledgable coaches that I worked with when I was an assistant at Pikeville.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:1. Phillip Haywood - Prestonsburg/Belfry
2. Hillard Howard - Pikeville/Letcher Co. Central
3. Dudley Hilton - Bell Co.
4. Mike Holcomb - Breathitt Co.
5. John Derossett - Betsy Layne/Prestonsburg
6. Tom Larkey - Rockcastle Co./Harlan Co.
7. Jim Matney - Johnson Central
8. Steve Jewell - Corbin
9. Mark Dixon - Hazard
10. Shawn Hager - Sheldon Clark

Just clearing up some things here. My list of the top 10 coaches in the mountains where done by currently active coaches from within' the mountains. I had no idea that this thread was meant to rank the top 10 coaches of all-time in the mountains.
It will be a great match up when Howard and Haywood collide. I think Howard and Larkey this year will be good also.
Ivan McGlone will be inducted to the Kentucky High School Football Hall of Fame this year.

Who else on anyones list has that honor?
DevilsWin Wrote:Ivan McGlone will be inducted to the Kentucky High School Football Hall of Fame this year.

I did't know that they had a Kentucky High School Football Hall of Fame? When and where is this taking place?
DevilsWin Wrote:Ivan McGlone will be inducted to the Kentucky High School Football Hall of Fame this year.

We have talked about Coach and if he were in Southeastern Ky he would be on the list. They are not in the mountains.
the title says the best in east kentucky and if you are talking east kentucky then Ivan McGlone of Russell has to be in the top 3. Two state championships, 8 semi-finals appearances and 283 wins in Kentucky along with 34 wins in Wva. Total of 317 wins.
Hilliard Howard is also a member of that group.
How about the top assistant coach? My nomination is Tony Burchett at Johnson Central. Coached under Haywood at P-burg in the 70's and 80's. Under Chuke Williams at P-burg, Lawrence Co. Bourbon Co. and has been with Matney since he arrive at JCHS. One of the best in the game with the offensive and defensive line, but especially the offense.
Matney,Haywood,Howard,Hilton,Derossett
Bert Browne is the best coach in the Mountains.
warmachine Wrote:Bert Browne is the best coach in the Mountains.

You have to be kidding!:please:
That is a bold statement.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
eastkyfootballfan Wrote:walter brugh has to be in the top 3 he retired atop the all times wins list

You reckon the fact that his schedule, year in and year out, was padded with the weakest teams in the state of kentucky had anything to do with that win total?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:You reckon the fact that his schedule, year in and year out, was padded with the weakest teams in the state of kentucky had anything to do with that win total?

Didn't he play JC every year?:yikes:

Seriously, Paintsville had one of the top Class A programs for forever and had 2 state runner-ups I believe. Brugh has to be on the list IMO...and I'm about as big a Paintsville fan as you are.:biggrin:
jetpilot Wrote:Didn't he play JC every year?:yikes:

Seriously, Paintsville had one of the top Class A programs for forever and had 2 state runner-ups I believe. Brugh has to be on the list IMO...and I'm about as big a Paintsville fan as you are.:biggrin:
Yeah smart guy he played JC up until he retired somewhere in the early 90's. :biggrin: I know what your angle is here....lol

Yeah I know he had one of the better Class A programs, but you know well that the W/L record was derived from playing teams from this area. I think you also realize that Pikeville and PBurg were traditionally the only local challenges. Not saying that they never had good teams or good players, just pointing out that W/L records can sometimes make a program's success look deceiving based on who the competition is. It's just like right now, other than Pikeville who else gives Paintsville a challenge in thieir district? That leaves all of those other weak ,weak, weak district opponents as likely ones that will add to the win tally. I know that you cant deny that the rest of the district is by far the weakest in the state.

Got a feeeling somebody is going to turn this into a perceived bashing comment. It's not meant to be that at all. If anyone thinks that that is my intentions, then you have my apologies in advance.
I personally feel that in order to be considered it must be a pre-requisite to have a State Title on the docket.

I would find it really difficult for anyone to de-thrown any of the following active coaches from discussion:

Hilliard Howard- Not only does he have the State Titles, but he has probably the best team to ever come out of the mountains.

Phillip Haywood- 2 State Titles and is approaching one of the best ten year runs any coach in EKY has ever experienced

Mike Holcomb- 3 State Titles

Dudley Hilton- Established Bell County as a dominant program. Retired. Came back and re-established them as a dominant program again.
Agree.
I like your eku.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
BBB Wrote:the title says the best in east kentucky and if you are talking east kentucky then Ivan McGlone of Russell has to be in the top 3. Two state championships, 8 semi-finals appearances and 283 wins in Kentucky along with 34 wins in Wva. Total of 317 wins.
Not to mention 2 Coach of the Year Awards and a member of the Kentucky High School Football Hall of Fame

Ivan McGlone!