Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinion? Wing-t vs. spread offense.
Which of these is more succesfull in Mountain football overall?

Any opinion is welcome. Why don't teams run the wing-t anymore?
Foxtrot Wrote:Which of these is more succesfull in Mountain football overall?

Any opinion is welcome. Why don't teams run the wing-t anymore?

The Wing T is making a come back. The problem with it is if you don't have either really strong aggressive linemen or lightning fast running backs... or at least can throw it some, you will not move the ball successfully.

In Mountain Football, the spread is OK... but Mountain football comes down to one thing... who hits the hardest and keeps coming at you! I am partial to the Wishbone and a spread, myself. The Power I is not bad either.
If I was a head coach, I would incorporate the Wing T, along with the Power I and some Spread formation sets, then you throw in some I formation along with split backfield...
bigcoachallen Wrote:The Wing T is making a come back. The problem with it is if you don't have either really strong aggressive linemen or lightning fast running backs... or at least can throw it some, you will not move the ball successfully.

In Mountain Football, the spread is OK... but Mountain football comes down to one thing... who hits the hardest and keeps coming at you! I am partial to the Wishbone and a spread, myself. The Power I is not bad either.

The Wing-T is not a power offense. Your line don't have to be really strong.
Wing-T is Gap-Down-Backer. Blocking scheme is about getting angles on people and not so much whipin' them. FB type players are what you want at guards, they have to be able to get out there on Buck(pull kick-pull lead).
Wing-T teams throw some but Buck Sweep, Trap, Criss-cross, power, Down and Waggle is what most Wing-T teams do.
I would run the spread and run out of the I formation. Get the ball to athletes in space! That is the name of the game, watch the Florida Gators!
P.C.Defense Wrote:The Wing-T is not a power offense. Your line don't have to be really strong.
Wing-T is Gap-Down-Backer. Blocking scheme is about getting angles on people and not so much whipin' them. FB type players are what you want at guards, they have to be able to get out there on Buck(pull kick-pull lead).
Wing-T teams throw some but Buck Sweep, Trap, Criss-cross, power, Down and Waggle is what most Wing-T teams do.
Here is someone who knows!!! Back in the day I had to face 9 teams a year that ran it. One old coach told me the key to run it well is getting the back with the ball to slow down while you fake to the other 2 backs so he would not give away who has it:notworthy
King Leonidas Wrote:I would run the spread and run out of the I formation. Get the ball to athletes in space! That is the name of the game, watch the Florida Gators!
who needs to get the athletes in space, when the Wing - T gets the def . guessing how has it( keep they on thier heels ):Clap:
Wing-t And The I
5kings Wrote:who needs to get the athletes in space, when the Wing - T gets the def . guessing how has it( keep they on thier heels ):Clap:

Wing-T is gonna' give you 3 looks every play.(Buck sweep, Trap, Waggle).
Fb will show trap( if he doesn't it's power), T will show sweep( buck) and qb will boot out( waggle out). Buck sweep really isn't a sweep at all because he will come flat towards the sideline and plant and get up-field North and South.
He won't over-run it because he's reading the block of his G to find the alley.
Your right, Wing-T is gonna' show you Sweep, Trap, Waggle almost every play.
Who is the last True wing T team win a championship?
Seems to me (this reply is for King Leonidis); i didn't know how to quote yet. Seems to me that it could be hard to get the ball to athletes in space If you don't have the QB to do that. Also, what if athletes are questionable? Which of the two offenses fit better?
King Leonidas Wrote:Who is the last True wing T team win a championship?

Russell won the state title in either 2004 or 2005 and were runners up the next season.
Foxtrot Wrote:Seems to me (this reply is for King Leonidis); i didn't know how to quote yet. Seems to me that it could be hard to get the ball to athletes in space If you don't have the QB to do that. Also, what if athletes are questionable? Which of the two offenses fit better?

:thatsfunn :wtf1:
Pikeville was very successful with it a couple of yrs. ago. Daniel Harmon did a great job running the ball.With the ball being directly snapped to him most of the time, it was exciting to watch!
Big Five-0- Wrote:Pikeville was very successful with it a couple of yrs. ago. Daniel Harmon did a great job running the ball.With the ball being directly snapped to him most of the time, it was exciting to watch!

Was that the single wing or shotgun wing-t? How successful was it?
P.C.Defense Wrote:The Wing-T is not a power offense. Your line don't have to be really strong.

It's not necessarily a "power offense", but if your line doesn't have some mean in them... they won't get those angles. You gotta have a little power to step down and keep that D-lineman from knocking your jock off. Having a line that has descent football knowledge is key also. I think that is as crucial as how fast/aggressive they are. I have tried teaching down blocking for eight years, and it still blows my mind that a lot of kids coming up from MS look at me like I'm speaking ancient egyptian.
Coach If I had a player who was having trouble on a down block, I would have him cut his splits down a little. I would also have them STEP FLAT, like a pull step on a down block.
Jarons Wrote:Russell won the state title in either 2004 or 2005 and were runners up the next season.

Russell was Wing-T and they ran some Power I as well. Primarily Wing-T.
As of recent Russell is the only mountain team to come to mind as having great success running the Wing-T.
Russell's wing t is a 2 te version right? There are not many teams in the state that run that version. Most run the 100/900 formation and red/blue. I know there are a few schools that have gone to a shotgun wing t.

Someone brought up the single wing. Is there any school in the state that runs the single wing as their base offense?
under saunders at valley ran the wing t now with the coach im hearing it under the wing and layiny a egg:HitWall:
Well it really depends on what you like to do. If you like to run the ball, then the wing-t is the offense to go with. If you like to pass, then the spread offense.
Protect_This_House26 Wrote:Well it really depends on what you like to do. If you like to run the ball, then the wing-t is the offense to go with. If you like to pass, then the spread offense.

You can throw just fine out of wing t offense. Bill Walsh's 49ers run game was wing t based. The wing t has a ton of formations and fit well into the passing game.
I have the Wing-T package from Glenn McNew(Morgantown W.V.)
I really like the Jet series from the Ace formation.
If you can get that Jet going, You can kill people flowing out on that jet motion with trap and jet-belly.
Wing T is very advantageous... WHEN DONE CORRECTLY!

Someone above said it perfectly... the back has to be patient to allow the other 2 backs to be success in their fake
This is coming from someone who shut down 3 wing T offenses in high school. You have to have an absolute man at center. If he can't beat the noseguard every play, then you lose. Having the center pushed back into the guards' pulling lanes is death for the W-T.

That's why most teams don't run it anymore. That, and it's a patient offense, as stated above. It's all about misdirection, and most kids don't have the patience these days to run it well. Russell's championship team (and the same kids the year after) were the most disciplined HS team I've ever seen on the field. That's why they ran it so well and had so much success with it.
P.C.Defense Wrote:Coach If I had a player who was having trouble on a down block, I would have him cut his splits down a little. I would also have them STEP FLAT, like a pull step on a down block.

The problem that I have seen with down-blocking, as with anything else, if your O-linemen don't have the "power" to step flat and down-block... a good d-lineman will not let him cross his face. I played D-line and have coached both for years. If I had let an OT or G cross my face, without knocking him off his path, my coach would have eaten my face...lol. This is what I tell my d-linemen, as well. Power is strength + speed. I love a good veer/down block. You just have to be fast enough, and mean enough to pull it off. TRAPS are beautiful, when executed properly. That is if it is my O doing it. Not much fun watching your D get trapped... lol
Spread is good in high school, and some colleges, but ya can't use it in the pro's.
cougarpride08 Wrote:Spread is good in high school, and some colleges, but ya can't use it in the pro's.

Are you refering to a spread like zone read or one that revolves around the QB running? If so then I agree though Atlanta ran zone read for a short period of time with Vick and did well. While there is not the run QB centered spread in the NFL there is plenty of spread in the NFL and they due just fine. Arizona this year and the Martz/Vermiel Rams are two examples. Heck the Rams of the 50s were spread and are one of the all time leading season scoring teams.
I just think it is hard to run it in the NFL. Tim Tebow will not be able to have a spread offense in the NFL.