Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Effective Defense?
This debate will probably never have a clear winner, but it's fun to have anyway. So which Defense is the best?
4-3
I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok -Shaquille O'Neal
The most effective defense is a being flexible on defense. You gotta' be able to adjust to what your going to have to defend. You can't run the same D you ran last week against the double tight Bone this week facing 4 wide. You gotta' be flexible. Hey coach, Tell me how you ran that 6-2 cov.2 you were talking about.
Did you mean a 6-3? What do you do with your odd-man out secodary player in a 6-2 cov.2? 6 down linemen(countin' Ends) Sam&Mike, 2 corners and 1 Free.
You said you ran a 6-2 cov.2, You could but If you dropped to a cov.2, where you gonna' put your unacconted for secondary player? If you bump up it becomes a 6-3.
Spartan4Life Wrote:4-3

I really like a 4-3 as well.
It was a 6-3. The "Safety" was walked up and we just brought the house. Not recommended against a team that can throw... ha ha ha
That's what I thought. I was tryin' to draw up a 6-2 cov.2 and was like" Now how in the world?"(lol) No offense man, I just couldn't get it figured out(lol)
I could see a possible cov.2 but just had 1 guy in the secondary kinda' hanging in LA LA land. I knew if I bumped up it was a 6-3.
Whenever i see Belfrys defense I about poop my pants so im gonna go with a 6-3 line backers in
mullinstiger55 Wrote:Whenever i see Belfrys defense I about poop my pants so im gonna go with a 6-3 line backers in

they run it well
I haven't been watching Belfry that much lately, but they used to run a 3-4 with the outside LBs walked up quite a bit (50 look). I hadn't watched them play in a couple years, though.:zzz:
A good option team will kill you in a 6-2.
P.C.Defense Wrote:A good option team will kill you in a 6-2.

The option, when ran properly, is tough to stop with any defense.

I am a 3-5 guy, myself. It is just so versatile. You can line up in a 5-3 look, 5-2 look, 6-2, you just gotta know the offense you are facing and the personel you have to work with.
bigcoachallen Wrote:The option, when ran properly, is tough to stop with any defense.

I am a 3-5 guy, myself. It is just so versatile. You can line up in a 5-3 look, 5-2 look, 6-2, you just gotta know the offense you are facing and the personel you have to work with.

We run a 3-5 and it is very affective. Puts a lot of pressure on DB's, but it is a very affective defense against the run
Your Defense depends on what you have to work with. IF you have a stronger line and one that is very capable of stopping the rush and rushing the qb, then you run a 4-3. IF you have more successful skills players, id say go with a 3-5, this gives more of an opportunity for the skills players to work in, and takes pressure off the lineman. If you have BOTH good skills and lineman on defense a variation of both should probly be considered.
UCFB Wrote:Your Defense depends on what you have to work with. IF you have a stronger line and one that is very capable of stopping the rush and rushing the qb, then you run a 4-3. IF you have more successful skills players, id say go with a 3-5, this gives more of an opportunity for the skills players to work in, and takes pressure off the lineman. If you have BOTH good skills and lineman on defense a variation of both should probly be considered.

The beauty of a true 3-5-3 is that it can be adapted to fit your personel. It can be a 5-3 against TEs. It can be a 3-5 vs. a spread. It can, with a little tweeking, be a 5-2 look in a cover 2 or 3 w/ a rover/monster.
Im a 5-2 man myself. Sometimes walk a safty down to become a 5-3 and bring a little pressure.
Real Badman Wrote:Im a 5-2 man myself. Sometimes walk a safty down to become a 5-3 and bring a little pressure.

Depending on the "O", I would use a 5-2 look at times. When you are facing a team that has a premiere running back (go-to-guy), I like a 5-2 monster and send the monster sfter that guy every play.
Better watch-out coach! If your sending that monster every play, Your flats is wide open(lol)kiddin'
I like the 4-4. You have to be a very fast team to run it but its plays out good on both run and pass in my opinion.
5-2
To be honest the answer to this is pretty vague. In general ANY high school defense can be effective as long assignments are met. Universally at the highest level you will see the Nation's best teams succeed whether it be a 3-4, 3-3-5 stack, 4-3, 5-2.

To scope in a little bit more on the State of Kentucky, generally speaking most teams are much more prolific runing the ball rather than passing. Based on that I would be more inclined to say any 4 man front of 5 man front with quick linebackers and zone coverage would work fine.
P.C.Defense Wrote:Better watch-out coach! If your sending that monster every play, Your flats is wide open(lol)kiddin'

Ouch... I know it looked like I was sending him every time, but he was just very anxious and wanted to make big plays. Definitely couldn't knock him for trying.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:To be honest the answer to this is pretty vague. In general ANY high school defense can be effective as long assignments are met. Universally at the highest level you will see the Nation's best teams succeed whether it be a 3-4, 3-3-5 stack, 4-3, 5-2.

To scope in a little bit more on the State of Kentucky, generally speaking most teams are much more prolific runing the ball rather than passing. Based on that I would be more inclined to say any 4 man front of 5 man front with quick linebackers and zone coverage would work fine.

I totally agree that any defense will work, if assignements are met. I guess all coaches have their own preference. It depends on coaching style/preference and personel. Flexibility (from the coach & the defense) is a huge key to effective defense.
I'm a fan of the 4-4. Gilbert ran it to perfection when I was in HS and they dismantled most teams they faced. It embarrasses a team which is entirely one dimensional, as it can adjust to overcompensate against that one dimension while still retaining strength against the other. For instance, at Williamson we never threw, so they blitzed 8 every play and shut us down. However, against a team that throws often or spreads out, you've still got 4 linebackers to cover flats and dumps while having a respectable 4 man rush. If they REALLY throw a lot you can even drop your DEs back into the flats. That's just me though.

Belfry DOES impress me with their 3-4 though. I'd still rather have an extra pass rusher. But, I don't have championship rings to back my opinion up Tongue
A ball control offense!:biggrin:
3-4 it allows the big nasty guys to go to work and keeps a good amout of db to cover