Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Williamson, WV
How bad will they be at football this year?
Pond creek nation Wrote:How bad will they be at football this year?
Probably just as bad as Burch. Mingo will be ruled by only 2 schools:...Gilbert or Matewan. Hard as it is to say this, Matewan will probably be a little better than Gilbert. Ouch! that hurt.
Off topic
Off topic
off topic
blitz43 Wrote:Soon to be a consolidation too. Belfry will get even more Williamson kids and some from Matewan also.

Disagree.

If kids do not come over before the 7th grade they do not make it. David Jones was the exception, as others are not disciplined enough or can't cut it in the classroom.
blitz43 Wrote:Soon to be a consolidation too. Belfry will get even more Williamson kids and some from Matewan also.

Don't forget Logan,Gilbert,& Tug Valley.
Big Five-0- Wrote:Don't forget Logan,Gilbert,& Tug Valley.
If i am not mistaken, Tug will stay a school. It's a little far for the Gilbert guys to travel. Course they could move though. I hate consolidation.
What will be the name of the new consolidated school?
I think they are leaning towards Mingo Central or just Mingo Warriors. I would have loved to had the team called the Mingo Central Miners. That would work with all the coal in the county.
Williamson has a great coach in Doug Ward. He was OC when I was there and the year after they all left we just never really got things back together. WHS's problem is their community hasn't been in the program for 20+ years now. They WERE a basketball school, but now they don't even compete at that. The community and the kids just aren't into sports anymore. I won't say what they ARE mostly into, because I'd probably get banned. That problem is permeating all of Mingo County right now though, and I fear it will follow and spread when they consolidate Burch, Matewan, and Williamson illegally in the next few years.

Illegally, because the people voted AGAINST consolidation years ago, and instead the state took over. If I still cared about that issue I'd have done something to have the state's takeover removed/prevented, but I don't. TBH it will be better for most of the kids, even if they have to spend an extra half an hour getting to school.

But, will WHS have anything this season? Not likely.

And last year was the last of the Mingo stars going to BHS. AFAIK all the kids at BHS now are supposed to be. Besides, give Ivan and David a break, would YOU rather be at BHS, or at Matewan or Williamson? That's what I thought. Leave Maydo and Doug alone, they were supposed to be at BHS, and I'm not going into their family lives again to prove it.
Sarrr Wrote:Williamson has a great coach in Doug Ward. He was OC when I was there and the year after they all left we just never really got things back together. WHS's problem is their community hasn't been in the program for 20+ years now. They WERE a basketball school, but now they don't even compete at that. The community and the kids just aren't into sports anymore. I won't say what they ARE mostly into, because I'd probably get banned. That problem is permeating all of Mingo County right now though, and I fear it will follow and spread when they consolidate Burch, Matewan, and Williamson illegally in the next few years.

Illegally, because the people voted AGAINST consolidation years ago, and instead the state took over. If I still cared about that issue I'd have done something to have the state's takeover removed/prevented, but I don't. TBH it will be better for most of the kids, even if they have to spend an extra half an hour getting to school.

And last year was the last of the Mingo stars going to BHS. AFAIK all the kids at BHS now are supposed to be. Besides, give Ivan and David a break, would YOU rather be at BHS, or at Matewan or Williamson? That's what I thought. Leave Maydo and Doug alone, they were supposed to be at BHS, and I'm not going into their family lives again to prove it.

Being from Gilbert, I hate to say this but Matewan wouldn't be a bad "football" school to go to. They are competing for a state championship almost ever year. Coach Kinder doesn't have the best personality but, face it, the guy can coach! Gilbert & Matewan are small schools (A) but they get plenty of looks from D1 schools. Don't know that many from Matewan but Gilbert has had quite a bunch go to D1. Just to name a few: Greg Robinett (WVU) & drafted by the Browns .. Garrin Justice (WVU) .. John White (Marshall) .. Wes White (Duke) .. Daniel Harless (WVU) .. Josh Bailey (WVU) .. Matt Ellis (DII WV Tech) drafted by the Falcons .. & many more that played DII. I know Matewan had Melvin Cunningham. I think he played for Marshall and was drafted by Miami.

when will that school open? maybe belfry will play that team,they may be good and close...
Good luck whenever the school opens up.
cuppett777 Wrote:when will that school open? maybe belfry will play that team,they may be good and close...
I have heard that it will be about 2 more years or so. They would be a beast in football. I think it would only make them a big AA or very small AAA.
have they named the colors and the mascot yet? I think minors would be awesome for the mascot being in west virginia.
cougarpride08 Wrote:have they named the colors and the mascot yet? I think minors would be awesome for the mascot being in west virginia.
I am not sure about all of the colors or mascot. They seem to discuss it often on
http://wvpreps.rivals.com/forum.asp
Talk to a (Coach G) on there. He can tell you all about it.
thanks for the site.
IMO, it takes more than just success to make someone a good coach. Attitude and helping your boys grow into men is a part of it as well.

But I digress. This thread isn't about people, it's about The Pack. I'd love to see them have some success. Not because I went there, but because I respect Doug and I truly hope he can be happy there with what time he has until the consolidation.
Sarrr Wrote:Williamson has a great coach in Doug Ward. He was OC when I was there and the year after they all left we just never really got things back together. WHS's problem is their community hasn't been in the program for 20+ years now. They WERE a basketball school, but now they don't even compete at that. The community and the kids just aren't into sports anymore. I won't say what they ARE mostly into, because I'd probably get banned. That problem is permeating all of Mingo County right now though, and I fear it will follow and spread when they consolidate Burch, Matewan, and Williamson illegally in the next few years.

Sorry man, but theres a starter on the basketball team from Williamson who is pretty good. They arn't all gone. Not bashing, i'm a Belfry fan too.
I like to see all my home county schools do good except when they're playing Gilbert...lol... But for decades, Gilbert & Matewan have ruled the roost. I hate to see consolidation. Lots of tradition gets lost. I think if they pick a Warrior as their mascot, it needs to have feathers in it's head-dress with each schools colors in it.
Hate to tell ya, but when ya consolidate, you get good really fast because you have the bodies to work with.
cougarpride08 Wrote:Hate to tell ya, but when ya consolidate, you get good really fast because you have the bodies to work with.

I actually think it will hurt Belfry.. Most of the WV kids will go to school there. and maybe even some from KY..
It is sad but true.
Once again Belfry will lose very, very, little when the school opens.

The school is out in the middle of nowhere, 20-25 minutes from Williamson.

There are no athletes left that have the discipline to attend Belfry, Pikeville, or anywhere that they have to make grades or compete against a kid for their spot.

Politics in Mingo Co. and their board is worse than anywhere you can imagine in KY. There is no nepotism law and the way they pick coaches has little to do with coaching but about years in service.

We will lose kids who can't play at Belfry, we have the past 2 years, and they played and was happy at Williamson but it did not have any adverse effects on Belfry.
NEXT Wrote:Once again Belfry will lose very, very, little when the school opens.

There are no athletes left that have the discipline to attend Belfry, Pikeville, or anywhere that they have to make grades or compete against a kid for their spot.

Politics in Mingo Co. and their board is worse than anywhere you can imagine in KY. There is no nepotism law and the way they pick coaches has little to do with coaching but about years in service.

We will lose kids who can't play at Belfry, we have the past 2 years, and they played and was happy at Williamson but it did not have any adverse effects on Belfry.

Your right on target there buddy:worthy:
NEXT Wrote:Once again Belfry will lose very, very, little when the school opens.

Problem is: Mingo is very mountainous. The roads are very poor. It will take some kids an hr. to get to school. Gilbert is on the south east side of the county. They will lose some to Man High in Logan Co., which is about 5 mins or so from the county line. The southern part of Mingo wil probably go to Westside High in Wyoming Co. Some of the western part of the county will go to either Belfry or Tug Valley. The north part will lose some to Logan Co. or Wayne Co. (not sure where the school is exactly located. Course you got Tolsia too. I'd say some of the Kermit kids will go there. That will probably keep the school at a large "AA" school. At least they'll be out of Wheeling Central & Williamstown's class. Those guys win everything in "A" class...lol
blitz43 Wrote:...if they pick a Warrior as their mascot, it needs to have feathers in it's head-dress with each schools colors in it.

While I'd prefer Mingo Miners myself, I concur. Having a feather of each school's primary color, while it would clash horribly, would be a nice thing for us all to reminisce about.

BTW, AFAIK only Matewan, Burch, and Williamson are consolidating. Tug Valley could possibly pick up some kids from Williamson, likely Borderland and Chattaroy. Possibly even West End. Gilbert was deemed too far from the school to consolidate at last I heard, as some of the Gilbert kids already have over an hour bus ride to Gilbert as things stand. Several buses (I don't know an exact number) going over 2 more mountains every day would be an awful lot of fuel cost, and it would add about another half an hour to those kids' bus rides every day. I'd drive my child half an hour to Westside before I'd make them ride 2 hours on a bus every day.

Funny how this thread went from WHS to consolidation though, isn't it?

While we're hijacking, what's up with Bevins being consolidated into Runyon? Wouldn't Southside be closer for the kids time-wise?

BTW, I'll toss in a link to a map for those unfamiliar with Mingo County who are interested if I can find a good one. Time to surf Tongue
Sarrr Wrote:While I'd prefer Mingo Miners myself, I concur. Having a feather of each school's primary color, while it would clash horribly, would be a nice thing for us all to reminisce about.

BTW, AFAIK only Matewan, Burch, and Williamson are consolidating. Tug Valley could possibly pick up some kids from Williamson, likely Borderland and Chattaroy. Possibly even West End. Gilbert was deemed too far from the school to consolidate at last I heard, as some of the Gilbert kids already have over an hour bus ride to Gilbert as things stand. Several buses (I don't know an exact number) going over 2 more mountains every day would be an awful lot of fuel cost, and it would add about another half an hour to those kids' bus rides every day. I'd drive my child half an hour to Westside before I'd make them ride 2 hours on a bus every day.

Funny how this thread went from WHS to consolidation though, isn't it?

While we're hijacking, what's up with Bevins being consolidated into Runyon? Wouldn't Southside be closer for the kids time-wise?

BTW, I'll toss in a link to a map for those unfamiliar with Mingo County who are interested if I can find a good one. Time to surf Tongue
I could see it being too far to ride on a bus after consolidation but as of right now, Spice Creek (at the south western side of Mingo) is the farthest to travel. It is only about a 25-30 min ride on a bus. Gilbert Creek & Ben Creek is proly close to the same. I have lived there most of my life. I don't think any of them spend much more than 30 mins. on a bus right now.